We have been SCAMMED

grath

Grath, these people rely on people’s pride preventing them from reporting what has happened. I reckon I am switched on, and I have had several attempts to defraud me online. But I could be caught out by one of these scumbags. They also play on your sense of fair play and common decency, never lose these qualities, because they are the difference between you and them, just be more careful. None of us are perfect, everyone of us could be scammed, but not everyone of us would come on here and highlight what happened. You did, and thank you.

Thanks Fisherman
I am a pretty straight person and what you see is what you get. BUT it does sometimes get me in trouble as we well know :cry: Thanks for your comments

witzend

paypal an be bad for sellers . i got paid £20 for something on ebay ,guy picked it up, well happy . bit later paypal took the money back plus £35 handling .long story ,the buyer reported it as an unauthorised payment and they immediately took his side . i lost the thing ,the payment and 35 quid . but i'm not bitter
I thought that when I saw paypal mentioned earlier I've given up on Paypal an Ebay selling for that reason only accept cash an collection now

wildebus

If he transferred the money to your account it would have pinged your phone and been in your account right away. It doesn’t take a couple of hours to go through🤷‍♂️
I have made many transfers between my own accounts in different banks and sometimes it can take a few hours
usually it is very fast but not always.

When I bought my Motorhome, it was from a private seller and he dropped it off to me on a Saturday Lunchtime on his way down south to look at a new replacement ...
I did the Money Transfer in front of him so he could check the details were right and he was happy - as it was a case where the account name and number didn't match, like you sometimes get.
Well, the payment wasn't received in his bank in the next hour or so while he was doing the handover (and asking me questions afterwards to check I was listening!) but he trusted me anyway and left the Autotrail in the driveway with the keys and carried on his way. Payment wasn't received that day at all!

On the Sunday, either I called the bank or they called me (can't recall for sure but think they called me) and the payment I made was on hold as a potential fradulant payment! I was asked all sorts of questions .... Have I seen the vehicle, have I met the seller, was I under any duress, etc, etc. I am guessing due to the size of the payment?

So it doesn't always go as smooth as silk.
Obviously I confirmed all was genuine, seen the vehicle ("it's on the driveway"), etc and the payment was released.
I was actually very happy this occured as it shows the bank (First Direct in this case) takes potentially dodgy transactions seriously.
Called the chap to explain and he should see the payment very shortly, which he did and called me back to confirm.

So have to sometimes expect the unexpected and also deal with nice people :)

caledonia

Sold my T5 and as soon as the guy transferred the money it pinged straight into my account. Almost instantly.

SimonM

I thought that when I saw paypal mentioned earlier I've given up on Paypal an Ebay selling for that reason only accept cash an collection now
You are permitted to only accept collection on EBay, you don’t have to offer a delivery service, and then the proviso is NOT to use PayPal and only take cash.

However, eBay recently notified my that they’re no longer using PayPal and moneys should go into your account. But, I would still say cash only on collection.

Boris7

Firstly "Irish accent (makes me wonder)" not very fair, we ain't all thefts no more than the English are in fact.

So theres a number of points here that plod should be onto, the number plate screws on that car have no plastic screw covers on, you should have clocked that straight off I'm afraid and it should have put you on your guard.

Secondly, those plates were reported stolen recently.

Thirdly, you should have taken details of the vin plate here and a driving license/passport.

Fourthly, Unless you can see the funds in your account then the goods stay with you, no variation unless its someone you know, cash would be better on sums up to about £250, over that unless your able to meet outside YOUR bank cash is a risk. Theres many cases of people being paid in cash and robbed that night.

If the buyer cannot complete the purchase in a satisfactory way there and then, you should take a cash deposit and promise to hold the item until funds are clear. If you then get some story about "not being local" or "going on holiday tomorrow" etc then wish them well and close the door.

Two phones are not necessarily an issue, but should be considered a marker for you to be on your guard, many people have a work phone and a personal phone, but some people also have an "untraceable" mobile (often called burners) to cover their identity.

I'm assuming you were contacted by email via gumtree? have you got an email address for matey, and have the boys in blue taken its details?

After the initial contact did you communicate by phone? if so do you have a number?

Do you or any neighbours have CCTV?

Tomorrow get in your car and travel from your home towards the local trunk routes, stop in every lay-by field entrance etc within a reasonable distance (I'd say 1 mile from home unless its a really built up area) and look for those plates, he almost certainly ditched them as the car is the wrong colour and they were a ticket to the joint for him, if you find them don't touch them, photograph them and call plod.

He may not have wiped them and he may be known.

Then continue on the route you found them and look for businesses etc with CCTV ask the owners to let you look at the footage at what is the most likely time he passed, you may not be allowed, but most people will help. If you see what looks to be the car record the reg and call plod.

The Police should be doing all this, but they won't, they are under resourced and have better things to do.

Wully

Bad luck sounds like you were done by a professional. He probably dose a couple a day like that scum bag.

grath

Thanks, not all, but a lot of what you say has been done and the Police have the guys phone number, Gumtree user name which would lead them to the email. The car colour not matching the data base. and neighbour who is a Policeman CCTV might help.
I think there may be a pattern here and I am just one part
Like I said at the start I know I know I know. I should have done better!

vindiboy

I recently sold an Honda 10i gennie via gumtree, £350. I had a call about 8pm one evening asking if it was available etc, yes I said, can we come now he said, OK said I they arrived at 10, 30 pm in a people carrier with kids aboard, paid me cash, 7 x £50 pound notes, took the gennie and left, no bother, my wife said I can't believe you did that, they may be duff notes, I paid the money into the bank next day and all was well PHEW, I always insist on cash when I sell anything,so don't get any bother generally?

grath

I recently sold an Honda 10i gennie via gumtree, £350. I had a call about 8pm one evening asking if it was available etc, yes I said, can we come now he said, OK said I they arrived at 10, 30 pm in a people carrier with kids aboard, paid me cash, 7 x £50 pound notes, took the gennie and left, no bother, my wife said I can't believe you did that, they may be duff notes, I paid the money into the bank next day and all was well PHEW, I always insist on cash when I sell anything,so don't get any bother generally?
Our local post office lady told my Daughter this week that there are lots and lots of counterfeit £50 about at the moment. They told her to be very carful. I usually would take cash

Reactions: Alf

trevskoda

My Daughter has put what has happened on Face Book and apparently the guy is doing it all over the area. (if true)
With a fake bank web site app ?
He will get caught, prob is you still wont get your money, old saying you cannot get hair of a frog.

grath

He will get caught, prob is you still wont get your money, old saying you cannot get hair of a frog.

Wrote it off on Sunday Trev
Embarrassing thing is locals have set up a giving fund for us because Daughter has it on Face Book. We have thanked them but told them no thanks, we have enough
Such nice people
edit
Just heard she has managed to stop it!

grath

1614694081934.png

Attachments

• 1614694082115.png
    1614694082115.png
    1,004 KB · Views: 11

REC

Horrible thing to happen. I would be angry with myself too. It seems obvious with hindsight but at the time, I expect he was plausible and pleasant and you took, mostly, sensible precautions. I, personally, don't want to spend my life being constantly suspicious and may well have done the same. Looking back, yes, should have done more but you have shared with many others who will now be more cautious. Hope he gets caught soon. Not everyone can write off losses. Thanks for taking the time to tell us.

grath

Just been offered £14600 for the scooter I have advertised at £1450 on Gumtree

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)