We have been SCAMMED

mikejay

He could have setup a fake banking app on his phone that looked real to you and when he put your bank details in and payment worked just like a real app. When I worked at a school few years ago one of the it modules was to make an app and the kids used a free site, Not saying this could be done with a free site but not hard for a developer to make a fake app to run on a mobile. He could even use a fake banking website that did all the motions of sending a payment easy if he is doing it on his phone. Not as easy if it was a site or app you had to get as hopefully you would see the web address and the app would be blocked.

Mike

Caz

If he transferred the money to your account it would have pinged your phone and been in your account right away. It doesn’t take a couple of hours to go through🤷‍♂️

When I t/f money to my kids' bank accounts they see it there straight away, but when I sold my Autosleeper the lady sat in the van and did the t/f, I kept hold of the keys and documentation and sat in the house checking on my PC every few minutes, after 45 minutes it still hadn't come into my account. So I rang my bank and they confirmed they had received it. It arrived in my account a couple of hours later.

grath

He could have setup a fake banking app on his phone that looked real to you and when he put your bank details in and payment worked just like a real app. When I worked at a school few years ago one of the it modules was to make an app and the kids used a free site, Not saying this could be done with a free site but not hard for a developer to make a fake app to run on a mobile. He could even use a fake banking website that did all the motions of sending a payment easy if he is doing it on his phone. Not as easy if it was a site or app you had to get as hopefully you would see the web address and the app would be blocked.

Mike
This seems to make sense and a high probability

trevskoda

It is not NI Trev mostly.
I am not in favour of the "culture" you have described on many posts....I realise you are simply posting what happens....No doubt thanks to the IRA/UVF and the like. NOT aiming to be political just critical of the 2 x Mafia.
Not that but dodgy boys always trying to pull one, if two or three mates are there they will not try to pull one, it also stops them arriving at your door weeks later with a complaint and wanting their monies back as they cannot trace you from a carpark sale.

izwozral

Even very bright business people get scammed if the reports televised are to be believed. Ok, sometimes it is down to not being switched on at the moment but I guess most scams are down to the ingenuity of the scammers. Some people have literally lost their life savings and in turn their self respect for being foolish and gullible, as they see it.
Don' let it gnaw at you Graham, just enjoy a few brief minutes thinking on how you would like to beat the crap out of him, then move on.

grath

I am as much if not more annoyed with myself for letting it happen.
It was a case of giving benefit of doubt (never again)
Luckily I had spent the money buying it three years ago and written the money off at that time, so I won't really miss it. Just means £500 less savings

runnach

Yes I did think should I post or not, and not let people know I had been scammed (street cred and all that) but it might just stop another been scammed

I hope you don't think me rude to mention the covid and travel etc. Personally, at this time, I would not want contact with a stranger from miles away, I'm sure you understand where I am coming from. In fact, if the police do nick him, he should also be charged with breaching CV 19 travel regs.

grath

luOl7eKdS1WIvbcSYHRaKQ.jpg

colinm

So some poor beggars getting plenty of speeding and parking tickets, and now the police will be after a generator.

n brown

paypal an be bad for sellers . i got paid £20 for something on ebay ,guy picked it up, well happy . bit later paypal took the money back plus £35 handling .long story ,the buyer reported it as an unauthorised payment and they immediately took his side . i lost the thing ,the payment and 35 quid . but i'm not bitter

Fisherman

I am as much if not more annoyed with myself for letting it happen.
It was a case of giving benefit of doubt (never again)
Luckily I had spent the money buying it three years ago and written the money off at that time, so I won't really miss it. Just means £500 less savings

Grath, these people rely on people’s pride preventing them from reporting what has happened. I reckon I am switched on, and I have had several attempts to defraud me online. But I could be caught out by one of these scumbags. They also play on your sense of fair play and common decency, never lose these qualities, because they are the difference between you and them, just be more careful. None of us are perfect, everyone of us could be scammed, but not everyone of us would come on here and highlight what happened. You did, and thank you.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)