Water Heater Problems

sdjksx

I have a 2013 Ford Tribute T-615 motorhome with an Ultrastore Rapid GE Truma gas and electricity water heater.

It works fine with electricity, but I have a problem with the gas. It will fire up for about 15 seconds then automatically cuts out.

I got it checked out when it went for its habitation check and they said it was fine and sure enough when I got it home and tried it, it was ok.

But on the first trip out a few weeks later I still had the same problem and I cannot get it to work.

Any one got any idea what the problem might be and if I can fix it myself? I have tried all the usual stuff - changing gas cylinder to up the pressure, leaving it and retrying a number of times, ensuring boiler exhaust cover is off etc.

Grateful for any input.

Thank you

Sdjksz

Sometimes condensation can build up in the bottom of the outer drum were the burner sits especially in cold weather if not used for a while[assuming it wasnt emptied down]there is a drain hole at the bottom of the exhaust.If its blocked there may be a small puddle causing your problem.

I have a 2013 Ford Tribute T-615 motorhome with an Ultrastore Rapid GE Truma gas and electricity water heater.

It works fine with electricity, but I have a problem with the gas. It will fire up for about 15 seconds then automatically cuts out.

I got it checked out when it went for its habitation check and they said it was fine and sure enough when I got it home and tried it, it was ok.

But on the first trip out a few weeks later I still had the same problem and I cannot get it to work.

Any one got any idea what the problem might be and if I can fix it myself? I have tried all the usual stuff - changing gas cylinder to up the pressure, leaving it and retrying a number of times, ensuring boiler exhaust cover is off etc.

Grateful for any input.

Thank you

Sdjksz
Does it only cut out when no charge is being supplied to the leisure battery? (Potential low voltage issue)
Does it cut out immediately after the igniter stops clicking? (Potential issue re flame detection)

You might try contacting Truma's UK service department to ask their advice (and if any advice that they are able to give does not resolve the issue, if it is at all convenient try to get it checked out by them rather than by a dealer).

Sounds like a thermocouple problem. This sits in the pilot flame (or should do) and senses the heat and while it is hot it keeps the main gas valve to the fridge (or any device) open. It the thermocouple goes cold it switches the supply off. This means if the flame is blown out the van doesn't fill with gas.

First thing is to check that it is still in the flame and if not move it.
Second is to hold the button (the one you hold for 30 seconds normally) in for about a minute. If the gas stays lit but goes out shortly after you release it (not immediate because the thermocouple will stay hot and the cool down) it is 90% a thermocouple issue. Cheap & easy to replace, see Youtube for loads of videos.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Sounds like a thermostat problem. This sits in the pilot flame (or should do) and senses the heat and while it is hot it keeps the main gas valve to the fridge (or any device) open. It the thermostat goes cold it switches the supply off. This means if the flame is blown out the van doesn't fill with gas.

First thing is to check that it is still in the flame and if not move it.
Second is to hold the button (the one you hold for 30 seconds normally) in for about a minute. If the gas stays lit but goes out shortly after you release it (not immediate because the thermostat will stay hot and the cool down) it is 90% a thermostat issue. Cheap & easy to replace, see Youtube for loads of videos.

Good luck.

I think you mean the thermocouple (flame fail) device.

Cheers

H

Could be low gas pressure from a failing regulator, try the gas hob at same time to see if that is affected.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back