Visitors to Scotland: a word...

I totally agree with the OP. It’s not just single track roads with passing places where people bimble along oblivious of the que behind them. The A84/82 is a nightmare with drivers doing 40/45mph with a growing train behind them. If your not in a hurry pull in and let the traffic past please and yes a lot of the time it’s a motor home at the head of the train.

Driving around in the van I frequently pull in to gateways, etc to permit traffic to pass. The biggest problem I find is that if I am not familiar with a road, then a possible spot to pull in may only be apparent at short notice as I scan ahead. Sometimes I cannot make a manoeuvre safely as the driver following is too close to my rear and being a cynical sort of person I reckon if I slow down and indicate at short notice he will not react in time. Catch 22!

Davy

My fav ones, you pull over to let them pass, they then drive slower now they have to read the road for themselves.
That happened to me a couple of weeks ago coming home from Portavadie. Pulled up and a car passed ( no acknowledgement) my daughter informed me it was a Tesla. By the time I had gone into fourth gear I had caught up with it, a few minutes later they slammed on the brakes as they saw a van in the distance they were no where near a passing place. They must have 💩 themselves seeing a motorhome filling their rear view mirror as they shot off at great speed.
Screenshot_20210621-092335_Chrome.jpg

I always giveway and even on wider roads will pull over when safe to do so if I see a queue developing.
I also give way if someone coming up hill, planning ahead and often waiting until that extra minute to ensure safe passage for all.

Pull over when safe except for the "straight line" driver. You know, the one who is tight behind you until you come to a bend and then is 300 yards behind you when you've gone round it.
That’s a bit like the 40 idiots that do that speed in a 50/60 rural twisty road who then proceeds to continue to do 40 through the 30 limits in villages, you can never overtake them… the mind boggles how they ever got a license.

I enjoy most of the single track roads.There is usually good vision up ahead to allow you to pull into a passing place.I think it's rare for someone to not acknowledge. Also if I pull in to allow a faster vehicle to pass there is usually an acknowledgement.
I have noticed that someof hire motorhome drivers don't understand single track roads,hopefully they will after a few days.

Once in donegall when driving my skoda on a one track rd up in the hills a car came flying over a hump and just about stopped since from my f bumper, yes it was the local priest I kid you not, he then produced what seemed to be a large bottle of yellowish holy water and downed a large gulp of it, I got out to see if he was ok as the colour had drained from his face, when he spoke back I could not understand a word of his strange lingo, either irish or English, poor sod had been drinking a version of holy water called Jemisons pure malt, time I took up religion as I have been missing out. 🤔 😂😂😂

Country roads is one thing but I love the ease my van sticks to the 30 mph limits, and I can see the big queue behind me!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back