VISITING ITALY - PISA / ROME / AMALFI COAST / POMPEII / SICILY / VENICE

Stanski

Having completed a trip around Italy we discovered much and wish to pass on our learnings.
The thread includes responses from our initial query which other members have provided that will help others plan a trip.

Last edited:
Seeking knowledge from those who have it - Have searched the forums and found little info.
Also camping / parking for a week in the area.

Ta in advance.

Last time we visited we stayed at Happy camping with a free bus service to the train station.

However it seems that they no longer cater for motorhomes.

There is a small site here with some revues and its closer to the center. 41.875115, 12.554383

Dezi

EFBEAB47-81E9-42A7-951B-A2E40FB89DB6.jpg

It’s been four years but we found this place just over the road from train station, it was acsi site at the time so I think it was 12 euros in September, train station over the road but we used our VESPA

It’s a shame they’ve banned scooters from the centre of Rome now! We’ve been two or three times and it’s really nice having an evening on the scooter when most of the tourists have gone,

Scooters - not us

Ha Ha - We use shanks' pony.
Have contacted that motorhome location - waiting for response - now Euro 15 a night.

We stopped at Camping Porticciolo, right on the shores of lake Bracciano, about 20 mins on the bus north of Rome. The site owner and his wife were very friendly, they advised not to drive into Rome, but to get a day traveller ticket which, I think, include using the metro in the city.

We stayed for 5 nights and spent 4 days (10 am until 6 pm) wandering around Rome.

Footnote....this was in the early 2000's...hope not much has changed.

regards
Allen

ROME by vindiboy1 | Photobucket

Rome easy peasy , great to visit we stayed at the campsite shown, I will dig out the details and post later , we rode the tourist bus round the city, jump on and off as you like ,There is also a local bus stop outside the camp site for access to the city all very easy, on the open top bus we had a massive downpour of rain, we left the camp site in full sun wearing shorts and tee shirts, really got caught out but the sun soon returned and we soon dried out,local touts were selling plastic macs, great value, they lasted about 5 minutes hee hee,

VISITING ROME - Plan C - (14May19)

Started as 2 from Ireland, 2 from UK - go to Rome and stay in 4 bed apartment, I was limited by unknown hospital op on knee but not a major hurdle. Oh the woes of planning.
Apartment booked for 4 in early Feb. Flights booked for 2 from Dublin also. We departed mid-Feb for trip around Spain and Portugal for 3 months - what could go wrong?

Plan A
Plan A soon became difficult when 3 weeks after booking the flights one of the Irish group was not able to travel (flying from Dublin).

Hence a flight ticket available for £115 (Cost of a name change) for anyone Dublin to Ciampino on 26 June for 6 days.
Depart Dub 26 Jun at 06:50, Depart Ciampino on 01 July at 21:00.

Sis-in-Law travelling from Newry if anyone wants a lift from N.I.

Plan B
Tried to amend the original apartment booking details to find we could not uncover the various booking options offered initially. Had to cancel the apartment and start again.

Plan C
Had indication from hospital that op will not happen until September - so we can plan to use the MH - hence late planning question above.
Booked another 2 room apartment - but now considering campsite options. Have made contact with Garage Berado, S. Rome to ask if we could have discounted parking for the week.

Aiming to meet up with a Belgium chap who is living in S. France whom we met 21/2 yrs ago en route to Rome thus spending at least 1 week easy travelling.

THANKYOU's to all who have responded so promptly to aid our travel plans. We shall ponder for a few more days as we guess others will populate our knowledge store.

Should anyone wish to join us using the flight ticket - please do not hesitate to contact me, we can accommodate most tastes and needs.

I cant help with Rome, but I do wish you well with the knee and remember plans are useless but planning is indispensable.

Channa

Google Maps This is the site we used in Rome it is at N41.87595 E12.55515 it was 15 euro a night plus 1 euro each tax well worth it for it's location, bus stops outside for the city,large pitches and a bar restaurant on site ,we were in Italy for about 3 months started out at Tuscany ,after a spell in Hungary, and got as far as Pisa, good trip, free Sostas all the way easy to find with relevant publications Drivers are a bit mad , if there is a space on the road one of them wants to be in it hee hee but no problems over all , great trip.

PISA Winery by vindiboy1 | Photobucket Pisa is a great place to visit, we parked our van about 50 metres from the leaning tower and we stayed there for about an hour before a local cop noticed we were there and asked us to move, we did and parked up in a side street for a few hours seeing all we wanted to and then drove on to a free SOSTA at a winery and had a night there, it was very interesting as truck loads of grapes were being brought in to be crushed .

SICILY - From where? Surely Naples is not the most southern port in Italy?

Have started to investigate a trip to Sicily, thought you should get to bottom of Italy and get across with MH - seems not possible.
Am I right or wrong - advice sought.
Thanks

Sicily
We caught boat from bottom Villa San Giovanni to Messina. There is a return fare which worked out cheaper as long as you return within three months. Getting into the port was slightly confusing but we followed the trucks and the signs. Bought the ticket then and there at the port. Ignore the men offering to help you buy the ticket (want a tip), just go straight up to the booth. I know quite a few people to catch boats from Genoa or Livorno to Palermo.

We loved touring Sicily and had a fantastic time. Huge amount of wild camping. Really tolerant locals. Driving is off the scale even by Italian standards. You do get used to it! Eventually!! Really good fresh food markets and ancient sites. Some lovely beaches and coves. Some folk settled down on a campsite for a few days and hired a car for a few days to get to some of the more inaccessible places. We used Google Maps quite a lot to check routes ... some towns, especially hill towns, are completely inaccessible to large vehicles. We should know… We managed to block a hilltown for about an hour and a half. Park outside towns and walk in.

SICILY - Ferry

May Thanks for the info.
I have struggled to find this ferry offering MH passage - hence my question. The Ferries.co.uk site suggests it is only for car and foot passengers. I guess you were on the local news with the blockage.

How long ago was your journey?

May Thanks for the info.
I have struggled to find this ferry offering MH passage - hence my question. The Ferries.co.uk site suggests it is only for car and foot passengers. I guess you were on the local news with the blockage.

How long ago was your journey?

Trucks and all sorts on the ferry. Get the ticket as you arrive.

220 – 221: Mosaics and Mountain Mishaps! | Clune Gap Years
This is our blog post about blocking the hill town. We won CoPilot for caravans in a competition run by Our Tour for the worst sat nav tale! I had nightmares for weeks about a chainsaw attacking our rear end!

Italy - We are off - Hoorah

Still a little uncertain how to enjoy Italy easily.

Current Route Plan is to see:
Monaco, Genoa, Pisa, Florence, Rome, Pompeii and Amalfi Coast, with addition of Sicily if the temperature is kind and all finances add up.

With the Camperstop Europe book bought from Vicarius Books, we have options for overnighting.

For Rome we have booked Garage Berard for 6 days to store MH whilst we see the sights and the Vatican.

As temperatures are increasing and with main holiday season starting July we may opt to Motorway it quickly to visit Pompeii and Amalfi first, forgo Sicily this year and head back up to Rome visiting Herculeum on the way, then explore Central Europe possibly.

Anyways' we are orf in minutes few and shall experience our very initial Newhaven to Dieppe ferry journey. Cost was within a margin of £3 against going to Dover - Calais and driving down through Central France.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back