Victron vs Epever - what do I get for 3.5x the price?

There is only one socket, so although you could connect both, you could probably only connect them one at a time. The socket is a standard network one, but the equipment doesn't speak 'network' - it uses a different protocol.
I have a WiFi adapter on my epever and an MT50 in the motorhome (buried under a seat). I could try swapping them over, suppose.

It looks like both the MT-50 interface and the Bluetooth interface both use the single RJ-45 port on the Epever which means that you can have either the remote display OR bluetooth but not both. Is that the case?
that is quite possible.
If we look at the Victron, the BlueSolar (none built-in bluetooth) can use a Bluetooth dongle to add that connectivity, but you would not be able to use the MPPT Display as well, as they both connect via the (single) VE.Direct port. That same port is also used to connect that device to a central monitoring/information system like a Venus GX or CCGX - so it becomes a matter of what do you connect? (this is why I tend to use/recommend the ones with native bluetooth for around £20 or so more as they are more flexible)

One has a pretty blue case? One might be designed in the Netherlands but both are made in China, so depends on what you want. If you like looking at graphs and having everything all linked up it's probably worth paying the premium, if you just want your batteries charged then probably not. Most electronics will burn out within just the first month or so of operation, so whilst long warranties seem like a good idea, in most cases if something doesn't pop initially it will last. Cheap components are usually what shortens the lifespan, but even expensive equipment can have dodgy components, I've had to swap out 73 network switches that cost £2,800 (+vat) each due to a batch of electrolyte caps that were poorly made.

Don't think Victron kit is made in China actually.
I looked at the labels of the last batch of stuff I got and I see Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia and India, but no China (and actually, I am happier about that than this post might suggest as Chinese made stuff does tend to be the lowest quality)

Assembled in those places, the components however will be a different story. Nothing wrong with being made in China, really high quality kit is made there, ask every iPhone/iPad owner as just a really common example.

Assembled in those places, the components however will be a different story. Nothing wrong with being made in China, really high quality kit is made there, ask every iPhone/iPad owner as just a really common example.
the word "some" is a key omission in that sentence.

Not at all, unless you can point out with a credible source any nation that only manufacturers well designed and built components and goods, then the omission is a given and stands as due to being a universal truth. Victron manufacturer only their Lithium batteries in the Netherlands, everything else is outsourced, including to China. SMA? China, Schneider? China and the list goes on. Being manufactured in China is not the problem, the component selection and quality assurance is. If someone wanted British, buy Sterling, I also believe that Outback equipment is still made in the United States. Though of course components are still sourced globally no matter.

So, to answer the OP's question, the box is blue, and head office is in the Netherlands.

Victron lithium batteries contain winston cells, made in China.

1601166553918.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back