Victron solar and B2B settings for lead carbon batteries

Just seen the price of the batts, of to the toilet now. :eek:

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere…

I‘ve just taken the plunge and ordered two of these -

Any advice on charge setting for the solar controller and tr-smart B2B would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Phill
Cannot help with your question but I had a pair in my recently sold Pilote and they were excellent. They must have gone up in price, I paid approx £169.00 last year.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere…

I‘ve just taken the plunge and ordered two of these -

Any advice on charge setting for the solar controller and tr-smart B2B would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Phill
I am sure the charging configuration for these batteries is the same as AGM. After all they are a type of AGM. But possibly give wildebus a message, David will keep you right.

I am sure the charging configuration for these batteries is the same as AGM. After all they are a type of AGM. But possibly give wildebus a message, David will keep you right.
Yes 12.4 volts same as any lead acid.

Trev AGM batteries charge differently from lead acid. They also require a higher voltage. My charger has two settings one for lead acid, and one for AGM.
The batteries referred to are not AGM. Having said that the recommended charge rates may be similar

The batteries referred to are not AGM. Having said that the recommended charge rates may be similar
Yes I am aware of that, they are an AGM variant, lead carbon AGM. I am certain they charge the same as AGM. My charger has two settings lead acid, and AGM. I think you can use AGM for lithium also, not sure on that one though.

Yup, although the link says AGM, they are actually Gel (Alpha switched from the AGM version to the Gel version of this battery but unfortunately updated the page info and didn't create a new page, hence the contusion).
Either way, both the AGM version (which I have) and the Gel ones are excellent batteries and do have different recommendations from the typical Lead-Acid.

There is a good set of info on the website link for this battery, and also very usefully, there is a box on the battery box itself with the recommended charge voltages. (If you zoom in on the photo of the battery it can be seen there).

FWIW, even at the current published price they are decent value and remember you have a club discount available so even better!

Yes I am aware of that, they are an AGM variant, lead carbon AGM. I am certain they charge the same as AGM. My charger has two settings lead acid, and AGM. I think you can use AGM for lithium also, not sure on that one though.
Alpha used to sell a very similar battery manufactured by Ritar which was a lead carbon AGM. I think perhaps that's the one you're thinking of. These batteries are not any kind of AGM
Edit: Wildebus posted while I was writing!

Alpha used to sell a very similar battery manufactured by Ritar which was a lead carbon AGM. I think perhaps that's the one you're thinking of. These batteries are not any kind of AGM
Edit: Wildebus posted while I was writing!
Aye when David posts we just read and learn Bartman.

They look identical but chemically different of course.
I think Alpha switched not due to any issues with the AGM version but they found they had quite a few AGM options in their shop and not many Gel batteries?
Ritar still produce the AGM model as well as the Gel.

Yup, although the link says AGM, they are actually Gel (Alpha switched from the AGM version to the Gel version of this battery but unfortunately updated the page info and didn't create a new page, hence the contusion).
Either way, both the AGM version (which I have) and the Gel ones are excellent batteries and do have different recommendations from the typical Lead-Acid.

There is a good set of info on the website link for this battery, and also very usefully, there is a box on the battery box itself with the recommended charge voltages. (If you zoom in on the photo of the battery it can be seen there).

FWIW, even at the current published price they are decent value and remember you have a club discount available so even better!
Thanks for that, I’ll have a look. Presumably that would require using the custom setting option.

I did use the club discount and saved a few bob.

As @wildebus says the bulk and maintenance charge voltages are given. The bit I can’t see is the length of any float period. AGM batteries generally need a long float period at the higher voltage whereas gel ones prefer a short float before dropping back to the maintenance voltage.

As @wildebus says the bulk and maintenance charge voltages are given. The bit I can’t see is the length of any float period. AGM batteries generally need a long float period at the higher voltage whereas gel ones prefer a short float before dropping back to the maintenance voltage.
Thank you, yes I saw that.

In the Solar controller there are three voltage settings - absorption, float, and equalisation. Presumably, from the battery, absorption is the “cycle use/ideal charge voltage“ = 14.2 - 14.4v and float is the “standby/top up charge” = 13.6 - 13.8v.

they don’t state a float length or equalisation voltage.

Regards

Phill

Yes 12.4 volts same as any lead acid.
Sorry typo should be 14.4v full charge some say but best to look at the makers chart, Wildbus should have the data on them.
Here is the spec.
lead carbon.png

Last edited:
There isn't usually a float time length quoted or required, but there is an absorption duration that can be set. This is the time when the charger is running at the maximum charge voltage until it reverts to float regardless of the battery fully charged or not.
The default requirement is around 7 hours but can be adjusted to suit a specific battery model with some chargers. The Victron solar controllers can be adjusted in this way. Ritar don't quote a duration so I'd stick with the defaults.

As an aside, some chargers have a "storage" mode that is a few 10ths below the Float voltage that is switched into after some time at float.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back