Victron Smart Solar MPPT 75/15

Wooie1958

Having spent almost nothing on trips last year i thought i`d use up some of the stored money from under the now very lumpy mattress and treat both the motorhome and me.

So, last year i bought and installed a Victron Smart Solar MPPT 75/15 after reading good reports on here and i`m truly amazed at the difference over the previous PWM ones i`ve had.

I bought it through Ebay from Gecko Energy at a ridiculously cheap price using a 20% Black Friday promo code on top of an already cheap price to start with.

Obviously having the Bluetooth option i`ve been just like a big kid with a new toy and have been constantly checking it from the comfort of my kitchen.

The batteries are 2 X 120AH Xplorer ones bought from Alpha which are 3 years old and coupled to 160W ( 100W & 60W ) panels which are now 7 years old.

The batteries have never fallen below 12.75v overnight and it`s showed as much as producing 50W on a couple of bright sunny days recently.

Can`t wait to get to Johnny Foreigner land to use it in anger especially after the hair dryer and or microwave have abused the batteries via the Sterling inverter and see how fast it puts the charge back into them.

Yes big change here to using the voltronic mppt regulator running 200w of solar, this year i did not have to use a charger to keep batts up and some days hitting 14.4v on readout but never going down below 13.4 when charging, over night the batts stay at about 12.9 v which is good, all this was from reading wildbuses threads which made me change over from elcheapo pwm regulator.

The advantages of MPPT are like chalk and cheese compared to the PWM units.

We run an Epever controller on 230W of panels into 2x115Ah lead acid batteries and the batteries keep very well, although they do need the odd drop of water being vented lead acid. Just have a little digi voltage display with usb and ciggi socket but occasionally lift the locker door and check the controller display.

Bit of a treat having inverter toast and the lack of static coming from the boss because the hairdryer is catered for is priceless.

By the way David, our grandson has greatly enjoyed building the Lego VW camper. Four and a bit hours to complete, clever little bugger ...

Cheers

H

I have two volt meters in the dash, left for service and right for engine start so I can see at a glance, yes I know theyre not accurate or dont show amps in but they do the job.
van f.jpg

I have found that the wife being able to use her hair dryer through the inverter ( thanks for the info and advice H (y) ) has helped immensely with my pain.

The constant earache i used to endure is now nowhere near as bad as it used to be :)

I have found that the wife being able to use her hair dryer through the inverter ( thanks for the info and advice H (y) ) has helped immensely with my pain.

The constant earache i used to endure is now nowhere near as bad as it used to be :)
I could lend you a set of sheep shears. ;)

Mine built ONeils castle to keep the Norman invaders out, look up timeteam ONeils castle Dungannon on utube.

Trev what’s the big red button in the middle of the dash. Is it the anti nagging ejection seat by any chance.😂😜

Trev what’s the big red button in the middle of the dash. Is it the anti nagging ejection seat by any chance.😂😜
Its there from it was a library bus, it cuts all power in an emergency, you have to twist and turn to lockdown again. (y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back