Vets

izwozral

Had a vets consultation via phone t'other day, the mutt has been in obvious arthritic pain in her back legs and was prescribed Metacam which has worked a treat.
The Metacam cost £40 for a 25ml bottle.
It is now running out so we asked just for a prescription this time explaining that we will source the Metacam online.
The prescription only cost £16.

Just bought 180ml for £19.00 from Pets Drugs Online.
Why buy drugs from a vet when it is far cheaper online.

Sharon the Cat

Had a vets consultation via phone t'other day, the mutt has been in obvious arthritic pain in her back legs and was prescribed Metacam which has worked a treat.
It is now running out so we asked just for a prescription this time explaining that we will source the Metacam online.

Check out golden paste using turmeric. Very good for inflammation & arthritis. The lady on here with a huge dog (can't remember her name or the dogs, sorry) recommended it to me years ago, good stuff.

izwozral

Thanks for that Sharon, I will look into the Turmeric idea. The Metacam has worked very well but it can adverse side effects including liver damage so it isn't something we want to keep Bracken on long term.

It wasn't Jenny aka Kimbobill was it? The dog is called George, a Bull Mastiff about the size of a cliff!

Jo001

I use golden paste for mine, he had an elbow injury a few years ago, and it was improving on metacam but just not quite gone. So I used the golden paste, it cleared within a week. Of course, it might have been on the point of recovery anyway, but funnily enough he sprained or twisted a joint on his foreleg last week. My view of going to the vet is the same as going to the GP for myself, I go if I think it is appropriate but not for every little ache or pain, so he is back on the golden paste again, and it seems to be improving at the rate I'd expect. I use this recipe, I half the quantities and freeze it in an ice cube tray to use one portion at a time (Timber is 8 kilos).

If you have any spare, it makes a nice marinade for prawns.

Oh, and as an aside, the vets who charge more than the online sites aren't trying to fleece people; there is something, maybe their licensing, that prohibits them from accessing discounted meds in the way the online pharmacies can.

Asterix

Check out golden paste using turmeric. Very good for inflammation & arthritis. The lady on here with a huge dog (can't remember her name or the dogs, sorry) recommended it to me years ago, good stuff.
I've given my dog tumeric all his life,he's not had any health issues at all but I use it as extra insurance,to hopefully stage off problems when he's older.

yorkslass

I once looked into the same thing Ral, but not just buying the drugs but what's prescribed. Apparently if you ask about generic meds, the vets will tell you what's available, but they can'-'t tell you, until you ask.
Give bracken a hug from me.

Robmac

It wasn't Jenny aka Kimbobill was it? The dog is called George, a Bull Mastiff about the size of a cliff!
Probably Jenny Ral. She could tell you a thing or two about vets prices, she used to work for one.

Henry was the bigger of her dogs though. He was a great dog was Henry (RIP) and our Ruby's boyfriend!

chrismilo

Thanks for that didn't realise that drugs for pets cheaper online
Been having difficulty getting flea and worm treatment from vet ATM

Toffeecat

The cost for Toffees asthma inhaler was £114 when ordered through the vet with his pet insurance. Now we get it ourselves at £36.
20200523_094043.jpg

Caz

£19 + £16 - so you saved a fiver?
Reg is on Galliprint and Yumove for his arthritis, the insurance pays 80% of the cost so I don't suppose I'd save anything not buying from the Vet. Plus there's always the worry that you don't know 100% that what you are getting online is genuine.

I wouldn't give my dog turmeric - I tried taking it myself for inflammatory problems and it gives me diarrhoea - couldn't cope with cleaning up after him.

Toffeecat

He gets it bad this time of year.I think its the oil seed flowers and grass cutting with the heat. Gets better as it gets colder.

antiquesam

We foster dogs for the Cinnamon Trust who are very herbal when it comes to healing. The last dog had terrible arthritis and they suggested rosehip. I'd never had a lot of time for herbal remedies until I saw the transformation in the dog. I now take turmeric, rosehip, cod liver oil, Indian frankincense. I now find my nose is cold and wet.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)