VED Reversal

Markd

I may have missed it in other threads but it would seem that VED rates for new vans were changed back to car and private HGV levels in the budget a couple of weeks ago.
Sounds like common sense about motorhome being personal rather than business has prevailed - maybe because we're not in EU any more perhaps?

May be 6 months of vans that get stuck in higher classes?

Sorry if this old news 😀

Nothing whatsoever to do with the EU. VED is down to the UK Chancellor of the Exchequer. One brought that high rate in and another has reversed it.

Well sort of but actually it was introduced as part of a harmonisation programme for light goods vehicles whilst still in EU.
Either way it's good news for anyone thinking of buying a new van but perhaps less so for anyone who bought one in the last 6 months.

Well sort of but actually it was introduced as part of a harmonisation programme for light goods vehicles whilst still in EU.
Either way it's good news for anyone thinking of buying a new van but perhaps less so for anyone who bought one in the last 6 months.
This is all down to the UK's convoluted VED structure, which the Chancellor has now chosen to modify.

Modify back to what it was before they modified it a couple of years ago!!

I wonder just how many van's during the six month period actually ended up with the mega-tax.
It probably wasn't that many but if you bought one you'll be a bit hacked off!

Just read the other thread on this subject and you're being very magnanimous given that you are one of the few by just a week.

Just read the other thread on this subject and you're being very magnanimous given that you are one of the few by just a week.
OK, I'm actually really, really p*****d off - is that better :) The rules changed on the 12th and our van was registered on the 5th. What's rubbing salt in the wound is that we harassed our dealer to get a prompt delivery date and now we can't even use our shiny new van anyway :-(

All support for a campaign to get this changed is very welcome - I'm just not sure how to go about it at the moment...

One would like to think that as the rules were in place for such a short period that reversing the following years at least would be on the cards.
The cost would be minimal a mere flea bite given the extraordinary 'freebies' going on at the moment.
I suppose it may be worth writing to MPs?
I can't see the manufacturers showing much interest now - they can't sell vans in the past!

I'm fatalistic about getting the big lump back, I'd be happy to just go back to the original classification - I don't even mind if it's after the first year - it's currently looking like I'll be SORNed for most of it anyway :-(

I couldn't decide whether writing to the MPs who supported the original campaign now was the best thing to do, or wait for a few weeks (months?) until things return to somewhat resembling normal and they're likely to actually have time to read the letter. However I was hoping that the two clubs (and the NCC) might support this campaign too.

There's supposed to be another UK Government petition about this issue, but I can't find it.

There was a petition before xmas - cancelled because of election.
At that time the government was keen to bear down on gas guzzlers.
It's amazing what a couple of months and a new chancellor does!

Screenshot_20200406-123245_Chrome.jpg

This link is to NCC campaign pre budget - no mention of retrospective.

Interestingly it does make clear that the original rise was EU driven which I was berated for suggesting earlier in the thread.

There was a petition before xmas - cancelled because of election.
Agreed.

Re-reading my reply from the Caravan & Motorhome Club, where I thought I'd seen details of a new petition, I see that they have actually failed to notice the reversal took place in March and thought I was still complaining about the September change! I've replied now to set them right....

The Camping and Caravanning Club sent me a Treasury paper about VED which was calling for evidence to support future changes to VED across all vehicles, and suggested that I respond to that via ETTAnswers@hmtreasury.gov.uk

I wonder just how many van's during the six month period actually ended up with the mega-tax.
It probably wasn't that many but if you bought one you'll be a bit hacked off!
Yes, seriously hacked off!!!🤬🤬🤬

It wasn't my intention to upset anyone but I fear I may have - Sorry.

Interestingly it does make clear that the original rise was EU driven which I was berated for suggesting earlier in the thread.

No it doesn't, the EU never asked or insisted that the UK .gov increased the VED on motorhomes, this has always been the prerogative of UK .gov, the "technicality under EU regulations" was that they dictated the co2 emissions should be listed, UK .gov then took this as an excuse to charge the higher rate of VED. (edit to change VAT to VED)

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back