Van Security

Police could get DNA from that Trev, but I doubt they would even though it would be an easy conviction if the thief's DNA was on record.
Police have more to worry about here they just give a crime no for ins co.

There was one nicked in our next village along Barry.

It had a car parked behind it and it seems that they pushed it out (on a gravel driveway) and left it in the middle of the road before pushing the van out and making off with it.

The couple who owned the vehicle were in a bungalow and the van was parked in front of their bedroom window. God knows how they did it.
Gassed 😂 😂 😂 😂

The last crime here I think was about 12 years ago. Some criminals on the run from the Police crossing the A66 from Penrith wanted to change cars and apparently just walked into my next door neighbours house (door is always open), picked up his keys and wallet and took off with his crappy Nissan Micra.

I doubt my old van would be a target. Its still probably worth over £10K but who would go to the bother here? Actually its parked out front at the moment and I think I forgot to lock it. 😬
Insurance invalid if not locked.

i was going to post something about safety concerns and measures in vans when wild camping as we would look for spots that are remote. This has set enough alarm bells ringing for me. Interested to know as a newcomer to being a van owner whether this is something I should be ver concerned about as I will have my 3y old son and wife with me.
Put a sticker in the window saying wife on board with sharp dentures and never stops talking, that should be plenty to scare most males away.😂😂😂

i was going to post something about safety concerns and measures in vans when wild camping as we would look for spots that are remote. This has set enough alarm bells ringing for me. Interested to know as a newcomer to being a van owner whether this is something I should be ver concerned about as I will have my 3y old son and wife with me.

Tempting fate I know, but I have been wilding for around 9 years now, never using campsites, and I have had no problems.

I do ensure that the 'van is secure. I have an alarm, window locks, additional lock on the habitation door, and mortice locks on the cab doors.

I have two dogs, and window stickers making it clear that there are dogs resident. I suggest that such stickers are a good idea even if you don't have a dog.

I'm sensible about where I park and follow the adage that 'If it doesn't feel right, move on', though I have only done that once.

The first few nights that you wild expect to feel nervous and to be suspicious of every single noise outside.

That feeling passes very quickly.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience and the freedom.

A quick check around the chosen spot can give you clues as well. I once chose a lovely spot overlooking the Howgill Fells. However when I got out of the van it was apparent it was someone else's idea of paradise as well. Used syringes and empty beer cans strewn around. I usually park facing the road, don't fit my exterior screens and square everything away before going to bed, just in case a quick move is needed.
The only issue in 8 years was on South Uist. Parked at the side of the main road and some rather merry young men stopped in a car and knocked on the van at 1.30 in the morning. I was sat in the drivers seat enjoying the spectacle of them all trying to pile into the car and make their getaway, pissed as farts. As said above first few times will feel strange. You could also find comfort at first by parking where there is another Motorhome/Van, you'll see lots as you drive around. Ideally there would be just you and them so it doesn't look like a carpark. Enjoy. You will wish you'd done it sooner.🙂

Just to add a doggy sign isn't a bad idea. Choose one of those A4 types that has a picture of an Akita saying this is my home. Even numpties know Akitas rarely bark. It'll be a case of " Do you feel lucky punk" :D

Police have more to worry about here they just give a crime no for ins co.
Our van got broke into sometime ago in storage. Wife made copper take fingerprints off a discarded crisp packet. Turns out the scroat was in the system and we got our excess back eventually. Would have preferred 5 minutes with himself thou!
As others say 5k damage for minimal loss of contents. Even left my alcohol alone. Idiot, could have just popped a side window instead of

Our van got broke into sometime ago in storage. Wife made copper take fingerprints off a discarded crisp packet. Turns out the scroat was in the system and we got our excess back eventually. Would have preferred 5 minutes with himself thou!
As others say 5k damage for minimal loss of contents. Even left my alcohol alone. Idiot, could have just popped a side window instead of
You have to remember these sh-ts have only about one brain cell.

So far i have:
Alarm
Immobilisor
Vodaphone Traker
Thule Passenger and drive internal door locks
Disklock
Window locks
Fiamma rear wheel lock
Fiamma hab door lock
Alarm sensors on garage hab and front doors
Heo safe garage door lock
Adria locks to hab and garage doors

Ive also got a secret cupboard inside that you wont find unless you really really look very hard for valuables.

Yes they can get in but hopefully will go for something easier. Must admit the Vodaphone Traker is very good and the software on my mobile is great.

Mick

So far i have:
Alarm
Immobilisor
Vodaphone Traker
Thule Passenger and drive internal door locks
Disklock
Window locks
Fiamma rear wheel lock
Fiamma hab door lock
Alarm sensors on garage hab and front doors
Heo safe garage door lock
Adria locks to hab and garage doors

Ive also got a secret cupboard inside that you wont find unless you really really look very hard for valuables.

Yes they can get in but hopefully will go for something easier. Must admit the Vodaphone Traker is very good and the software on my mobile is great.

Mick
Sounds just a little sad.
With that level of paranoia, why leave home?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back