V W continuing popularity

I had one for years I loved it and yes yes they are great and hold the price because of the popularity but they are overpriced these days and parts are off the scale and the downside for me is no onboard facilities and I don’t class a porta poti under a seat and plastic bowl as adequate facilities for me great when I was younger.
Love your new photo Annie. Got you in a good light. It reminded me of someone else, can’t put my finger on it at the moment.😎

Good reliability and usually rust free helps keep the price up .
In respect of the T2's. Being handy with a welder would be a bonus. My neighbour's splitty, has had many a panel replaced. I do wonder how much is original.
It is used regularly. Once or twice a year;) I always know when by the rich mixture on start up.
Having said all of the above, it is very pretty.
Again, having said all the above, I don't think this thread is about T2's :censored:

In respect of the T2's. Being handy with a welder would be a bonus. My neighbour's splitty, has had many a panel replaced. I do wonder how much is original.
It is used regularly. Once or twice a year;) I always know when by the rich mixture on start up.
Having said all of the above, it is very pretty.
Again, having said all the above, I don't think this thread is about T2's :censored:
I thought it was the whole VW van scene or I wouldn’t have posted a lot of my comments lol

Yes you need to be handy with a welder or spend but same with a lot of old vehicles. Pattern body and engine parts are plentiful though and on the older ones most folks can do the mechanicals themselves. Bit like old land rovers, you may well have some sort of breakdown on a journey but usually easy fix if you are prepared.
I did think rebuilt engines were expensive when I was looking for the trike but seeing what for example a replacement Fiat motorhome engine costs they are cheap 👍

Having holidayed in a VW Bay Window, owned a Bongo for 7 yrs and now a Transit Custom I have experienced unique driving/camping cultures in the small (‘ish) van world.
There is something really heart warming living with the less comfortable and for the most part less practical. This usually comes with significant maintenance and running costs.
The tranny custom is by far the most refined, reliable and frugal on fuel (of the three I mention) but empty of emotion - it never gets a pat and a thank you for getting us somewhere. BUT in stark contrast to the old VW and Bongo it does not automatically go along EVERY lane that a car would fit and doesn’t need its own credit card.
The width of the modern VW hits the middle ground. Good news for the “go anywhere” surfer who is happy to trade the slightly but significantly smaller interior. Combined with some clever marketing by VW from a long way back they have maintained a cool culture around a modern box on wheels. Very very clever: cult with practicality.
We chose the Ford over VW because the extra interior space was now more important to us ( a 4ft bed and reasonable depth kitchen and cupboards. ) and still mourn our Bongo.

Probably makes us ageing past-it wannabes 😧

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back