V W continuing popularity

Moonraker 2

I am on the Sennan Cove campsite, Cornwall, for a few days. It's only a small site but there are 11 vwT4 Van's, and it's not even a rally. It really shows the continuing popularity of this little van, from oldies like mine to brand new Californias.
My first time in the van to Cornwall and I am enjoying it apart from the tiny, windy roads which I endeavour to avoid whenever possible.

I've never owned one but I can see the attraction.

My daughter has a T5 and absolutely loves it.

I’m heading that way next week first time was three years ago and I fell in love with Cornwall. My vans far too big for most parts of Cornwall so we find a base for four or five nights at a time and use a tiny tow car to get around works a treat. Your right about the VW vans they are everywhere but you can see the point they work great for the lanes and steep inclines and all the wee bays and villages.

There’s a reason they’re popular, because the suit so many peoples needs. Small enough to use every day with decent fuel economy and a lwb with a pop top is big enough for a couple with a good layout.
If we buy another van it will be a VW Transporter. We had a Crafter mwb but much preferred our T5.
There really is something special about them.

I really can’t understand anyone paying the money they ask for them. There are loads of small vans which do just the same thing as well or better. People wanting an image/brand that’s all it is. As for hills, my motorhome overtakes loads of the old VW’s on hills Wully and had a few shocked when they turn up and see me in some places lol

Okay I may get some scrapes and lose a marker light here and there but they are cheap to replace and it’s worth it lol

I really can’t understand anyone paying the money they ask for them. There are loads of small vans which do just the same thing as well or better. People wanting an image/brand that’s all it is. As for hills, my motorhome overtakes loads of the old VW’s on hills Wully and had a few shocked when they turn up and see me in some places lol

Okay I may get some scrapes and lose a marker light here and there but they are cheap to replace and it’s worth it lol
It’s because they’re better than the other makes and hold they’re value. They’re easily converted with stacks of dedicated accessories and can be driven sensibly as a daily driver giving good mpg. Being smaller they dont take up as much road room as a big flimsy white box on a chassis to small for it. You may be able to get to out of the way places knocking off marker lights as you go but it’s the disruption to other road users some large van drivers forget.
Each to their own but I prefer stealth to microwave ovens and colour TVs.

It’s because they’re better than the other makes and hold they’re value. They’re easily converted with stacks of dedicated accessories and can be driven sensibly as a daily driver giving good mpg. Being smaller they dont take up as much road room as a big flimsy white box on a chassis to small for it. You may be able to get to out of the way places knocking off marker lights as you go but it’s the disruption to other road users some large van drivers forget.
I had one for years I loved it and yes yes they are great and hold the price because of the popularity but they are overpriced these days and parts are off the scale and the downside for me is no onboard facilities and I don’t class a porta poti under a seat and plastic bowl as adequate facilities for me great when I was younger.

I had one for years I loved it and yes yes they are great and hold the price because of the popularity but they are overpriced these days and parts are off the scale and the downside for me is no onboard facilities and I don’t class a porta poti under a seat and plastic bowl as adequate facilities for me great when I was younger.
Totally agree Annie. It’s not for everyone but we tried the bigger van thing thinking we were getting to old for the T5 but realised the wee van suited our needs best. Prices are crazy but crazy people are willing to pay it. I had my T5 for 10years and done 130k and sold it for 2grand less than I payed for it. I could have got what I paid but sold it to a cousin.
It’s horses for courses but I do understand the hype. 🤘🤘

As a previous owner of a few VW Campers (and a regular on the VW forums) and a current owner of an Ducato based Autotrail, I have had a foot in both camps.
I changed to a Motorhome for the greater on-board comfort and space and don't regret that at all. But there is a definate 'VW Culture' around which some people embrace, and other less scrupulous people exploit (excessive spare parts prices for example - think putting a "for Motorhome" label bumps up the price? check out "for VW Campervan" prices AKA "Scene Tax").

I still keep that foot in both camps to a degree and continue to go to VW events, but in the Fiat Ducato instead ;) Just last weekend we went to the Mighty DubFest in Alnwick (https://mightydubfest.com/) and will likely go to BusFest this September (not 100% sure on that as the 'music' on the stage was sooooo dreadful and I was parked so close to it it drove me bonkers, so need to check out other options for the camping)

As I said crazy people will pay crazy prices. Like every vehicle pattern parts are available at your local motor factors so no more expensive than a fiat or any other make. You can get good quality kit at decent prices if you do a bit research and use the Forums or go to Vanstyle and get ripped off while turning your van into a tarts handbag.

I had a mate at school wore the leather jacket walked about with a crash helmet but nae motorbike all to impress the birds he said. I’ve seen VWs wae a surfboard in the middle of Glasgow that never come of it’s about looking cool. 😁

Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against VW vans, I have had VW and VW van engines and IRS but ditched everything else. The old air cooled were pretty solid and a good choice for barren areas. How any sane person will pay in excess of £110 grand for a converted VW van escapes me though. I am referring here to the small vans not crafter size, if you want VW get a crafter or a sprinter. They won’t because they want that image though, rose tinted glasses although yes they will be ideal for some.

At that I have been bitten by marque and wasted lots of money modifying cars. A lot of people buy into a dream and if it’s an older model soon realise that old vans are just that. There will always be a cult following on certain VW models and I have seen some radical split screen vans I would jump at if I had the cash but not to use to live in. Odd weekends away ok, a week at a stretch but not sure at my age.

One of my best mates was a VW Beetle fanatic up til he died in his early 40’s and I had VW pushed at me constantly lol, he wouldn’t admit it was much more comfortable and quicker when we went in my Capri or my mates Granada rather than his 1303 Special though 😂😂

I am on the Sennan Cove campsite, Cornwall, for a few days. It's only a small site but there are 11 vwT4 Van's, and it's not even a rally. It really shows the continuing popularity of this little van, from oldies like mine to brand new Californias.
My first time in the van to Cornwall and I am enjoying it apart from the tiny, windy roads which I endeavour to avoid whenever possible.
You won’t see half of Cornwall if you avoid them!!!🤣🤣

Just love our VW T6.1 6 seater SWB and king size bed fitted and use a quest pop up for cooking and living.

John.

FA9FDAD6-7033-4215-B435-D11716274022.jpeg

There is definitely a 'scene tax' involved
BUT at least that ensures you won't usually lose money with a decent vw, as there will always be someone prepared to pay over the odds when you sell....
I've driven all sorts of them from early splits/bays/t25s etc etc and XLWB crafters....

Most were average (some of them.... Frankly awful)

Did like my redbadged, remapped, decatted etc etc crafter...
Drove like a wagon and pulled like a train built like a tank

Personal choice AND not being arsed about the whole VW 'scene'

There are better value vans, out there....

Same with the whole 'Hardley movingson' motorcycle thang....

Instant lifestyle choice VW/Harley are an easy option

Always had a soft spot for the old Type 2, even if it's not called that anymore. Old man had a T1, his mate had a T2, many years later I had a T3 and driven a few T4's & 5's.
If I were to go for a smaller van a VW would be top of the list and I'll pay the lifestyle tax, even if the handful of people I know with T6's all have trouble with theirs, all Ad Blu and emission related. I'm not going for a smaller van though so won't worry about it. :)

Our son owns a 1965 splitty a 1973 Westphalia camper a 2017 T6 and his work vehicle is a VW Tiguan, he’s just nuts about VWs the 65 splitty and the 73 Westphalia are in excellent condition.

John.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back