Upgrading MacBook Air

winks

Now that I've decided to take up SLR photography again I find that the space on my 2014 MacBook air is running out fast.

The machine I have is a 256gb SSD with 4gb RAM and is a cracking bit of kit apart from the restricted space left on the hard drive. If I'm about to embark on this quest I'm thinking pushing the RAM up to 8gb and the SSD up to 1TB. Whilst I'm confident enough to do a bit of picture editing and all the other everyday stuff, such as picking the brains of you poor buggers on here, I don't know where to start. So the question is, does anyone know how I can go about achieving this? I have looked on the world wide waffle but it seems to be populated by propeller heads who don't speak any language I am familiar with,(you understand Oppy don't you?).

Answers on a postcard please ( outmoded analog communication medium).

Cheers

H

wildebus

Given the age of the laptop, and it is quite possible you would need to pay for someone to swap the parts out (yes, you will get posts telling you how to do it, but they will be in propeller-head speak as well), you might be best upgrading the whole computer and selling the old one. Not only will you have more ram and more storage but you will get a faster processor as well, which will be a definite plus for your picture editing.

Obanboy666

The ram is soldered onto the motherboard and as far as I’m aware it is not possible to change.
Not sure about the hard drive.
I recently bought a new 13” MacBook Pro, i5 processor, 8go ram, & 512 SSD hard drive to replace my ancient desktop Mac and the difference is amazing, wish i had done it years ago.

mariesnowgoose

"All MacBook Air models have a soldered processor and it cannot be upgraded after the time of initial purchase. ... The longer answer is that some models could be upgraded with twice as much RAM as stock at the time of purchase at additional cost, but cannot be upgraded at all afterwards."

This was one of the reasons I bought an older MacBook Pro the last time I needed to update my computer kit as most Apple computers after 2011 (2012?) cannot be upgraded after purchase.

The sudden inability to upgrade (because the casings are incredibly thin and therefore difficult to take apart and put back together, or so I understand) was one of the things I found gobsmackingly anti-sustainable on the part of Apple.

It almost made me go back to a Windows laptop (eurgh!).

However, I am one of those millions of sad individuals who was seduced by how nice Apple kit is to use compared to any Windows equivalent.;)😁

winks

Just having a cast around, thinking perhaps buying an iMac and have that primarily for picture processing so this laptop would be freed up. This machine has acted up a couple of times when tweeking images so getting that on to a totally independent machine and learn how to use something like Photo Shop might be another option.

Cheers

H

winks

Another option for storage is a separate USB drive. That's a very quick and easy way to give you more room, bit won't do anything about the RAM of course.
I have an external HDD I use for the ''Time Machine'' back up gadgee and I have my Amazon voucher from the prize draw a couple of months ago. MMMM, another idea.

Cheers

H

Fisherman

I have an iMac with 27 inch screen, fusion processor, max ram, and a 1 terrabite hd. And quite honestly it’s head and shoulders above anything I have ever used,
The picture quality on the screen, is awesome. And the trackpad a great bit of kit.

jagmanx

For storage get 2x External HDD basically a master and a slave (500GB or 1TB each)
Many ways to keep them synchronised AND you have a backup for your laptop/mac
Then if your laptop dies or needs upgrading all your data is safe and you have 2 copies
Your other data can also be backedup on the external HDD but for spreadsheets and WP docs cloud synching is best
Over recent years
1 Desktop failed (graphics card but still US)
2 Windows 7 Laptop died (old age)
3 Cheapo HP stream laptop was upgraded to an ASUS Hybrid
4 Asus hybrid still works but is dodgy as the screen has deformed
5 Now using a proper ASUS laptop 8GB RAM and only 128gB SSD...The 128GB is only 1/3rd full as all the "BIG DATA" is on my 2 External HDD
It has been rebuilt from scratch with the latest win10 version and it Flies !!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)