Up in John O’Groats

But that was for SLEEPING in cemeteries. :rolleyes:
(Not on a permanent basis.)

I have visited numerous remote church car parks, sitting there for several hours without a sole around. Quite often the church has been open for a look around; one even had a sign inviting visitors to help themselves to tea and coffee. I have frequently thought how good they would be for overnighting (probably not on Saturday night). However, I've never been in need of that resource nor have I been there when someone comes to lock up.
What restrictions are likely to exist? Tucked out of the way in a peaceful situation, perhaps you might deter thieves interested in the lead on the roof, thus bringing a benefit to the locality!

Helping yourself to a few litres of water surely cannot be a crime of any great moment? And if you do it when no-one is looking then it's a case of "out of sight, out of mind" or "what the eye don't see, the heart don't grieve over". Or, if you are a god-fearing person, accept that you will receive your punishment in the afterlife.

Gordon

(Yes, tongue in cheek ;) )

Helping yourself to a few litres of water surely cannot be a crime of any great moment? And if you do it when no-one is looking then it's a case of "out of sight, out of mind" or "what the eye don't see, the heart don't grieve over".
Stealing water is stealing water I'd not feel right stealing water especially from a church where most likely locals are asked for contributions towards Cemetery maintenance costs

A donation box is usually available and it is very easy to donate X10 the value of the water taken with only using small change. Filling a water tank would be abusing the opportunity, filling a couple of containers for drinking and making a donation is acceptable behaviour, also preferable to buying water in plastic bottles and giving money to a supermarket in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Highland Council had complaints about motorhomes parking in cemetry carparks last year. On two occasions motorhomes obstructed funeral cars and hearses. They are now banned from cemetry car parks in Highland council area. Some new signs have gone up, but I don't know if all the signs are up yet.

As I said back in Post 2,,,,!

If you ‘Ask’ & get permission from Staff, then I personally wouldn’t class that as ‘Steeling’ 🤔.

A donation box is usually available and it is very easy to donate X10 the value of the water taken with only using small change.
At our cemetery the donation box is in the Church 300 mtrs from the tap who's going to make that effort and what staff are you supposed to ask for permission

At our cemetery the donation box is in the Church 300 mtrs from the tap who's going to make that effort and what staff are you supposed to ask for permission
Me if its visible. 300m in my vehicle is under a minute and if driving there is not an option its probably a pleasant rural path and a church worth having a peek at. Just because some people think it's ok to use a cemetery tap it doesn't automatically mean they lack courtesy

We are discussing drinking water here, not the removal of anything for personal gain other than quenching thirst.

Last edited:
In fairness I understand witzends argument and the subject is definitely debatable. Part of my believe that the act is acceptable, which is my own issue, is that we are a wealthy and wet island, economically developed but socially going in reverse.

To access water in our villages, towns and cities we now have to pay someone to produce a plastic bottle, pay someone that has commercialized a water source, pay someone to transport that bottle and pay someone to sell it to us and then the bottle is recycled or goes to landfill often used once.

We are discussing drinking water, a daily need, in our nation access to water by the public to drinking fountains or taps should be readily available and free. Of course we should pay for the luxury of it coming directly to our homes and the waste removed, but no access to a free source on the street when you consider the miniscule costs involved is backward.

Developing countries and other European countries can manage it, it's a sad reflection of the social state we find ourselves in that we are even discussing the use of a tap for drinking water. Witzends and others argue that if someone has paid their financial dues they can use it for cut and therefore dying flowers but someone that might not contribute should not drink from it is a sad situation, one which occurs due to our obsession with ownership and money.

Last edited:
Thought I’d just log an entry… I’m at Duncansby Head - the natural alternative to the Jo’G theme park. Can’t get in at any campsites (God forbid I should book) which is not a big deal only I could do with taking on 100 litres of water. Said campsites won’t let me fill up with water - Covid init - yes that makes perfect sense.

Had a mind to go to Orkers and Shetters but looks like you can only go from Aberdeen with the van - I’m 6.3 metres long btw.

Hey ho - just thought I’d see if anyone’s done the whole northernmost latitude thing and see if you’ve got any tips.

PS all very comfy at the moment but looks like I’ve ripped out my gas filler pipe in an incident with a bus - step is buggered etc etc I need a major pitstop at some point.

That’s me
HI, can't help with gas filler pipe but call into Farm Buggy Tours, Melvich. They have a farm and small site. Tell them Andrew and Sharon recommended you. They will hopefully let you fill up with water and might be able to offer a pitstop for repairs.

problem solved find a local mosoque.👍
There is more chance of me entering a Mosque than a Church after a run in with my local Vicar some years ago.

I needed a new Passport so I popped along to the Church in the small Hamlet where we had moved to. When I asked, he refused to sign the application form because in his words "Why should I, you don't come to my Church". I explained that a 12,000 mile trip every Sunday had never been a feasible proposition but he still refused. :giggle:

I got my revenge on him though. He, his family and some friends made a point of walking through the right of way past our Cottage just to annoy my neighbour in the Farmhouse. It did not bother me but we had just rescued an obnoxious dog abandoned on the streets of Gateshead. She was still in training to convert her back to a happy well adjusted dog but I let her out when the Vicar was due on Sunday afternoons. She was not vicious, she just did a good impression. :LOL: When the Vicar asked me to take her in, I refused saying he had not been invited on to my property. Now I look at Christianity as a narrrow minded, mean spirited religion. In Northeern Ireland it would even be dangerous to approach the wrong kind of Church. :rolleyes:

Whoops ! It seems as though my earlier post caused a bit of a kerfuffle, I just expressed my honest thoughts.

First of all I choose not to follow any religion but i do have respect for most. I would never like to encroach on anyones moments of reflection in a church/grave yard or cause any upset at all. This goes for using a tap or parking up.

These are my personal thoughts only and no offence intended to anyone.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back