Underslung LPG Tank Leaking

Fazerloz

Just a word of caution
The LPG tank under our coffee van has just started to leak. It has rotted through under the mounting straps, whilst the rest of the tank looks quite good. It has been on for 16 years passing a gas inspection every year. Anyone with a underslung tank of similar age may just want to check theirs out.

Update
Having now removed the tank , mounting bracket and straps. One of the straps was rusted through inside the plastic sheath leaving only the plastic sheath to support one end of the tank.
New tank and multivalve ordered should be here tomorrow.

Just a word of caution
The LPG tank under our coffee van has just started to leak. It has rotted through under the mounting straps, whilst the rest of the tank looks quite good. It has been on for 16 years passing a gas inspection every year. Anyone with a underslung tank of similar age may just want to check theirs out.
Surely the corrosion bad enough for the tank to fail completely must've shown some signs at inspection....
Or does the actual tank not get inspected?

Surely the corrosion bad enough for the tank to fail completely must've shown some signs at inspection....
Or does the actual tank not get inspected?
Only minor to medium corrosion on the rest of the tank the pinhole was completely hidden by the strap. Inspection is just a visual not a removal and pressure test.

Only minor to medium corrosion on the rest of the tank the pinhole was completely hidden by the strap. Inspection is just a visual not a removal and pressure test.
Not worth the paper it's written on then....

Still on the plus side... A lucky thing you noticed.
Doesn't bear thinking about what could of happened.

Not worth the paper it's written on then....

Still on the plus side... A lucky thing you noticed.
Doesn't bear thinking about what could of happened.
No it's not, but some councils and show organisers insist on them like they do with PAT test certs. No LPG or PAT certs then you don't work.

No it's not, but some councils and show organisers insist on them like they do with PAT test certs. No LPG or PAT certs then you don't work.

I get that.....
Just worrying that testing is so glib that it's only a visual inspection of a pressurised vessel with a explosive content....

Mind it's likely even worse with some of the tanks/lpg DIY installs kicking about

I get that.....
Just worrying that testing is so glib that it's only a visual inspection of a pressurised vessel with a explosive content....

Mind it's likely even worse with some of the tanks/lpg DIY installs kicking about
Yes strange isn’t it, commercial use is renew at 10 years, no such service life put on private use such as a Motorhome. I understand GASIT recommend you change at 10 years anyway.

My van failed the MOT because the straps holding the underslung tank were corroded, luckily when I fitted the tank I raised it into place by using ratchet straps which I left in place after the plastic-covered metal straps were fastened, when I removed the metal straps it was only the plastic holding them together, I inspected the tank and there wasn't any sign of corrosion so I cleaned it up and applied a rust inhibitor and finished it off in red just so that it looked nice, it is important to check these items, unfortunately, it is usually a case of out of sight, out of mind

Best to have them shotblasted from new and primed with zink epoxy and then poly 2 pack top coat, i used to do big tanks for sirocco/calor in belfast, the paint they use on the tanks is a joke.

GASIT do do underslung tanks without straps they have welded brackets atop for bolting through.

Here’s mine fitted to my CV40 PVC
8C83192B-3FFE-4111-A17A-4ECA3FC5A2D4.jpeg
BF139144-9CBF-438D-9E18-8EB3E13E49BF.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back