Tyre Check

vindiboy

Checked my van Tyres today ready for our next Jolly, Inflated them to correct pressure too, decided I should also check the spare that is under the rear of the van in a cradle, I last looked at it 4 years ago, and greased the bolts that hold the cradle up, all was well but pressure was down to 45 PSI so I put that right, what a job to get the cradle back up again though, it is very heavy with the tyre on it, and there was not much clearance at the back of the van and the ground, a few blocks of wood and a crow bar and I finally was able to get the retaining hooks hooked on and then tightened the bolts after again greasing them, it is not a job I would want to do roadside or in a lay by. I would call the breakdown service if I got a puncture , I am not even sure I would trust the supplied jack either? I thought that an extension on the air inlet [inflation valve ] would be a good idea,then then tyre could be inflated in situ , but that is a job for another Day now ? hee hee.

I've seen the tyre under my van but I can't see a sensible way of getting to it. I carry one of those cans of puncture repair stuff to get me out of trouble. Then I can get a new tyre some time later.

I dropped the tyre cradle during the summer to rustproof and paint the cradle and check the tyre. As you say, it is a sod to get back up due to the weight of the wheel.
I ended up having to get a trolly jack under the cradle to get it back up to its retaining clips !

Checked my van Tyres today ready for our next Jolly, Inflated them to correct pressure too, decided I should also check the spare that is under the rear of the van in a cradle, I last looked at it 4 years ago, and greased the bolts that hold the cradle up, all was well but pressure was down to 45 PSI so I put that right, what a job to get the cradle back up again though, it is very heavy with the tyre on it, and there was not much clearance at the back of the van and the ground, a few blocks of wood and a crow bar and I finally was able to get the retaining hooks hooked on and then tightened the bolts after again greasing them, it is not a job I would want to do roadside or in a lay by. I would call the breakdown service if I got a puncture , I am not even sure I would trust the supplied jack either? I thought that an extension on the air inlet [inflation valve ] would be a good idea,then then tyre could be inflated in situ , but that is a job for another Day now ? hee hee.
They are not easy even on the driveway at home, let alone on the side of the road on a rainy night :rolleyes:

Better on ones bum.then fit a gas tank in its old space.

sw  3.jpg

That's fine trevskoda until some low-life nicks your wheel from the back of your van!!

I nominate the transit mk 6 as being amongst the worst for releasing its spare wheel,you take the useless wheel nut wrench which has a flat screwdriver blade at the other end and poke it through a hole in the rear bumper to try and locate a screw when turned lowers the spare by means of a coiled wire.after it hits the ground you pull it towards you unwind it a bit more without snagging the wire then solve the Chinese puzzle of releasing it from the wire.You also end up grafted.

At least Bessacarr put a hook on the cradle that you can extend with the wheelbrace to improve the leverage - but it's still hard work.
I'd still be calling in the breakdown people!

By the side of the road I'd hook the cradle back up empty and throw the spare in the van. Next stop would be a garage to replace that anyway, and they can put it back lol.

By the side of the road I'd hook the cradle back up empty and throw the spare in the van. Next stop would be a garage to replace that anyway, and they can put it back lol.
And if you have a accadent the flying wheel finishes you of

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back