TV Reporters

2cv

The original thread on this has been sent to current affairs because of discussion of royalty and their holiday homes. Does anyone else find it ridiculous that when unnecessary journeys are discouraged reporters are still travelling about merely to have a good background shot for their reports? Apparently one was questioning people in the street in Preston as to why they were out and about. Maybe he should have questioned himself. I’ve noticed one or two now report from home, for example Norman Smith the BBC assistant political editor. I think that more should follow this example. In London in particular public transport is too full with essential workers on the way to and from their work. Reporters making unnecessary journeys is adding to the risks.
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

NeilyG

To be honest I don’t think any of this matters anyway cos it looks as tho we’ve all been infecting each other since at least JANUARY. All actions we are taking now will probably turn out to be fruitless - cat was out of the bag a fair old while ago.

Fisherman

2CV, one day this will be history and many will look back at these images as a reminder of what happened. It will be the only way that children of today and later will be able to observe. We have had images of every war since the American civil war when photography was in its infancy. Can you imagine a world with no images of the Second World War. Just think of the logistics involved in getting photographers and reporters to Burma during world war 2. Also many reckon that it was reporters and photographers who created resistance amongst the American people against the Vietnam war. It’s important that archive footage will be available for future generations to observe, and possibly learn from our experience. Also many of the images you are seeing come from peoples mobile phones, not from reporters.

mariesnowgoose

Take the point, but I really don't view this situation as any different to any other crisis. There have always been 'correspondents' on the ground where major events are happening. War correspondents? Don't see how else major incidents or unfolding events can be reported by the 'mainstream media' otherwise. It has always been the traditional way to do serious news reporting. In any crisis good reporting is very important, whether that's chasing up the story on Charlie or interviewing essential workers on the tube. How else would we know what's going on around the rest of the world without international reporters and cameramen out there filming and investigating? Whilst the internet has given us a whole new way to do things, which you could argue does away with 'on the ground' reporting, I'm not sure that's the answer. You will always need traditional reporting methods to disseminate news that is of public importance, and that includes having reporters' feet on the ground...

Last edited:

mariesnowgoose

Norman Smith is an editor, not a reporter. The clue is in the job title. He doesn't really need to be actively out and about. Reporters who are out and about - and I would argue by necessity - feed their copy, film and photos back to him.

Robmac

I'm with Bill on this one. Images can be taken by drone these days. And if journalists want to hear peoples opinions there is enough online or videos on Youtube. We either have lockdown or we are wasting our time and peoples lives. The most vulnerable need to be protected from this virus as long as possible, it may well be that we are all going to get it but medical science on the virus is advancing so surely the longer the delay in people catching it the better the outlook for treatment for it. Paying lip service to the pandemic is simply not an option.

izwozral

Footage outside Balmoral on BBC news, showed a part wall and a chimney through a lot of foliage and an armed officer at a closed gate. The Royal Pessary otherwise known as Nicholas Witchell voiced over the footage. Was the footage live? I don't know. However, sending reporters to war torn parts is one thing but using footage such as the above - Really? It adds nothing to the story imo. This is what Charlie thinks of journalist and the Royal Pessary in particular. It was picked up on an open mike when Charlie was at Klosters with the boys. 'I hate doing this. Bloody people. I can't bear that man anyway. He's so awful, he really is. I hate these people' It seems that vitriol goes both ways!

Robmac

Footage outside Balmoral on BBC news, showed a part wall and a chimney through a lot of foliage and an armed officer at a closed gate. The Royal Pessary otherwise known as Nicholas Witchell voiced over the footage. Was the footage live? I don't know. However, sending reporters to war torn parts is one thing but using footage such as the above - Really? It adds nothing to the story imo. This is what Charlie thinks of journalist and the Royal Pessary in particular. It was picked up on an open mike when Charlie was at Klosters with the boys. 'I hate doing this. Bloody people. I can't bear that man anyway. He's so awful, he really is. I hate these people' It seems that vitriol goes both ways! He really does not like Nicholas Witchell as you say Ral. I would love to see them square up, handbags at the ready!

izwozral

He really does not like Nicholas Witchell as you say Ral. I would love to see them square up, handbags at the ready! Me too Rob, I think Witchy boy will be right up 'im and give Charlie a good beasting from the inside.

Robmac

Me too Rob, I think Witchy boy will be right up 'im and give Charlie a good beasting from the inside. I dunno Ral, I reckon Charles might have learnt a few tricks in the military. They don't like it up 'em you know.

izwozral

Oh yeah forgot about his military career. He must have been very heroic judging by the amount of medals he has. ;) Maybe he protected the garrison from incoming fire by deploying his ears in a defensive way.

Fisherman

Sorry but I don’t see what all the fuss is about. Did anyone really expect our journalists to do things any differently. They are working within the safety guidelines, and I am sure that events in the rest of the world are being covered likewise by journalists. Even in China reporters were out on the streets from all over the world. People are still working some who for safety reasons possibly should not be. I would have thought this was more of a concern to some. Sending reporters to war torn parts of the world is dangerous, both for them and for those involved in these wars. What our journalists are doing here is much safer. Charles contracting Covid 19 may be of little interest to me, but it’s massive news for many others, and not reporting it properly and safely was never going to happen. This is the biggest thing to hit the human race in 75 years. It has to be reported by journalists, and it will be.

tidewatcher

The original thread on this has been sent to current affairs because of discussion of royalty and their holiday homes. Does anyone else find it ridiculous that when unnecessary journeys are discouraged reporters are still travelling about merely to have a good background shot for their reports? Apparently one was questioning people in the street in Preston as to why they were out and about. Maybe he should have questioned himself. I’ve noticed one or two now report from home, for example Norman Smith the BBC assistant political editor. I think that more should follow this example. In London in particular public transport is too full with essential workers on the way to and from their work. Reporters making unnecessary journeys is adding to the risks. always like watching Norman, great reporter and usually entertaining. The big question is, has he got his slippers on when reporting from home? Never seen his feet yet.

izwozral

Sorry but I don’t see what all the fuss is about. Did anyone really expect our journalists to do things any differently. They are working within the safety guidelines, and I am sure that events in the rest of the world are being covered likewise by journalists. Even in China reporters were out on the streets from all over the world. People are still working some who for safety reasons possibly should not be. I would have thought this was more of a concern to some. Sending reporters to war torn parts of the world is dangerous, both for them and for those involved in these wars. What our journalists are doing here is much safer. Charles contracting Covid 19 may be of little interest to me, but it’s massive news for many others, and not reporting it properly and safely was never going to happen. This is the biggest thing to hit the human race in 75 years. It has to be reported by journalists, and it will be. I think we have moved on Bill, we are in the silly mode now!

Robmac

Sorry but I don’t see what all the fuss is about. Did anyone really expect our journalists to do things any differently. They are working within the safety guidelines, and I am sure that events in the rest of the world are being covered likewise by journalists. Even in China reporters were out on the streets from all over the world. People are still working some who for safety reasons possibly should not be. I would have thought this was more of a concern to some. Sending reporters to war torn parts of the world is dangerous, both for them and for those involved in these wars. What our journalists are doing here is much safer. Charles contracting Covid 19 may be of little interest to me, but it’s massive news for many others, and not reporting it properly and safely was never going to happen. This is the biggest thing to hit the human race in 75 years. It has to be reported by journalists, and it will be. Reporting is fine, but what is the point of sending journalists to...

2cv

By far the most powerful images of the pandemic that I have seen have been recorded on private mobile phones. They are of patients strewn about the hospital floors in Madrid and of UK victims desperately ill in their beds appealing to people to take the virus seriously. There has been very brave and useful reporting of wars in the past, and maybe there will in the future, but whilst the reporters can add to the cause of the problem they should not be out and about now. With todays technology reports can be made without exposing both the reporters and crews and the people they encounter at and travelling to work to the dangers of virus transmission. Lead by example, it sends the right message to see reporters obeying the stay at home message.

izwozral

Ral, Bill. Ral. Izzy is his long suffering OH 😝😂😂😂😎 Oi you, Izzy looks at me with love in her eyes every morning and wears a smile that says 'We are ONE'. Then she usually lets rip a fart of monumental awfulness that even the dog runs out of the room.