Truckers and Motorhomers in agreement

UFO

Screen shot from this morning's news. Sentiments familiar with many of us here. But for lorry drivers it's their livelihood.
Screenshot_20210902-091431_BBC News.jpg

Indeed...For obvious reasons many laybys on roads to and from Dover/Folkestone are closed. But truckers have to stop and rest or sleep and shower/toilet. Facilities should be provided. Not only are they providing an essential service but they pay a fortune in road tax and fuel tax ! As with coaches they might have toilets on board but they need to be able to dispose of both grey and black water responsibly.

Just an opinion truckers are working and are monitored by modern tachographs and need regular rest stops , Motorhomes are playing out and are not regulated, can you compare the needs of truckers and motorhomes .especially now we have a shortage of truck drivers threatening shortages on supermarke shelves

Last edited:
Truckers also massively outnumber us. I would imagine any concessions made in supplying facilities would give truckers much more priority over us, maybe even excluding us.

Any alliance with truckers would soon fade if they had to queue for facilities behind motorhomers and subsequently even more damage would be done to our reputation.

We both need places to stop and rest.
We were driving south on the M1 recently.
Many signs saying "Tiredness can kill...take a break every 2 hours."
We tried 3 service areas...no parking for motorhomes available in all 3 !!!
The signs presumably erected by the Ministry of T...who may well also ratify the service areas franchise/licence ?

The signs presumably erected by the Ministry of T...who may well also ratify the service areas franchise/licence ?
Do you mean "designated" motorhome/caravan parking areas, or motorhomes/caravans were not allowed to park anywhere? I only ask because I've parked in "car parking" areas where no designated MH parking was available, and never had a single issue, even when using two bays for my 7.5 metre van.

No designated spaces and car spaces no go AND warning signs (£95 fine and apnr cameras) for incorrect parking

Conditions for long distance Truck drivers and trampers are at an all time low, in the late 80’s/early 90’s the government gave incentives for truck stops to be built with facilities at a sensible cost, that incentive has gone and so have the facilities.

you shouldn't be expected to £$%^ in a hedge and piss out the door at midnight while not being able to leave your office for days on end in the 21st century.

I felt a letter coming on....but resisted the urge!

This goes back to homosexuals either making a mess or intimidating genuine users of the facilities. As the old saying goes, get a room!
Cost here and damage, men and ladies had to staff many in the old days, then as you say all sorts started using them and staff got hammerings, so all closed and some new automatic types came into use about 10 years back, some older folk wont use them as scared the door may open when using. :eek:

Truckers do get a shoddy deal, both in UK and Europe, with the pressure of getting deliveries to meet schedules they have not developed practices always with a care for the rest of us travelling. As costs spiral for fuel, repairs and maintenance then time becomes expensive thus cutting costs with little consideration to locals or other drivers has been noticeable.
With many more trucks on the road and also larger since 1970 the trucker has more competition for existing parking spaces and so creates inventive solutions that does not always match other peoples expectations.
Motorhomers' I also consider to be challenging the typical average persons' expectations with many flouting the general rules of freedom on the road that many of try to sustain and promote.
All of this has begun to create more frustration in some areas of the UK that when pushed councils are encouraged to generate bye-laws to prevent the offending occcurrence so reducing options for both truckers and MHer's.
In my opinion sewage and water service needs to become council responsibility via law from government, encouraging service stations near Mway junctions to become more involved.
Perhaps all MH dealers should be charged a Tax that would pay for advertising that can be developed with educational considerations to promote the rules of Motorhoming.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back