Truck motorhome sat nave

I expect that a truck version would be more useful than a motorhome one to most.

My Garmin can be configured between pedestrian, car, lorry and motorhome. You initially input the vehicle dimensions, height, length, width, weight, with or without trailer and it will amend speed limits and routing accordingly.

I ask because nine is caravan motorhome spec ,but still sends me down very narrow lanes .I have increased width in settings to see if that helps .

Width restrictions for the road network are only contained within the mapping where width limits are enforced. In other words there will be a sign at the entry to the road stipulating the maximum width of vehicle permitted to use the road in question.

Narrow country lanes are rarely restricted in this way. It's down to the driver to assess the viability or otherwise.

I expect that a truck version would be more useful than a motorhome one to most.
Agree and disagree.
Agree it should prevent problems.

Disagree it may not allow perfectly good routes with some narrow but passable sections.
Both in towns and on rural and mountain roads.

I have also fallen foul of weight restrictions in Scotland around Pitlochry. Set weight at 3500 and it tries going over a 3000 bridge. As SimonM said keep your wits about you and use a map as well. That said I still find it useful.

I love my TomTom Truck satnav but as Chris said it doesn't stop you from being sent down narrow roads, it has routed me around 6'6" width restrictions, weight restrictions and low bridges though.
If I am going somewhere new I use TomTom MyDrive and google Streetview to plan the route but as already said use your common sense.
Would I buy another if this one packed up, probably not to be honest because a large screen car satnav at half the price suits a Yorkshireman, the one I have now was on a ridiculous offer posted on here by 'private' that tempted me

I just look up new places on Google and then drive there, but then I‘ve driven a truck across Europe and the UK since the 80’s

Garmin DEZL TRUCK NAV very reliable on height, weight , but a bit over cautious on routing shorter routes , but as previous poster the width only reacts to posted width prohibitions , not on just narrow lanes due to lack of mapping data input .

Are they usefull or a complete con
Have you got a smartphone?

Copilot has truck and motorhome options and routes reasonable well. It’s cheap enough to try to get a feel for the features of a non car focused navigator.

I did not want the hassle of another gadget to manage so have tried all the iOS truck and camper apps recently and I’ve settled on https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/mapfactor-navigator-pro/id1516687226
It uses TomTom mapping which I recommend as it seems better when accessing more remote UK locations. It is very clunky to use but you can paste in coordinates (unlike Sygic Truck).

A bloke on Facts with 40 years experience of driving big artics swears by the TomTom truck version.

I have the Garmin Camper 760 and I find it great tbh. It has never let me down and when it eventually dies I can see myself replacing it with the latest Garmin Camper version.

Hi yes and no for motorhomes if on holiday you can just have fun ! But at work must be seen to plan routes.
Tom tom gives routes and Google shows if there any good . Ive drove a round the new forest all day as its not hgv friendly. Over 70 miles only to be told just drive in .but tom tom just cancels and say do you want car routes. For over 7.5 ton they can be the bain of your day but 1 day out of 5 its ok.
We all haters at first and then we make a relationship with them but you only get out what you put in.

I find there best in the fog and tell you your on a straight road so you can drive past the slow movers , but dont do it if there a turning as idiots just pull out of them . Lol

Also good for showing you to slow down for tight turns. 90 degrees. and blind bends or give ways. Ie turn left at next junction. Saved me a few times at cross roads at night.

Its all down to your approach. Lol..

I have 2 on display in lorry and sound on loud . but it would drive the wife crazy. In van.

Hi yes and no for motorhomes if on holiday you can just have fun ! But at work must be seen to plan routes.
Tom tom gives routes and Google shows if there any good . Ive drove a round the new forest all day as its not hgv friendly. Over 70 miles only to be told just drive in .but tom tom just cancels and say do you want car routes. For over 7.5 ton they can be the bain of your day but 1 day out of 5 its ok.
We all haters at first and then we make a relationship with them but you only get out what you put in.

I find there best in the fog and tell you your on a straight road so you can drive past the slow movers , but dont do it if there a turning as idiots just pull out of them . Lol

Also good for showing you to slow down for tight turns. 90 degrees. and blind bends or give ways. Ie turn left at next junction. Saved me a few times at cross roads at night.

Its all down to your approach. Lol..

I have 2 on display in lorry and sound on loud . but it would drive the wife crazy. In van.
It’s the wife that insists I use sat-nav to avoid her having to map read and give directions. And so we can be spontaneous and take wrong turnings on purpose to explore and not have to get a map out.
I love TomTom winding roads routes on the car versions…

I ask because nine is caravan motorhome spec ,but still sends me down very narrow lanes .I have increased width in settings to see if that helps .
I doubt very much if there is any difference Baz, height, width, weight, what else can they work on? Length in most cases doesn’t really matter and in places it does there will be signs warning you.
Can’t say I have had a problem with where mine takes me and I think we have the same unit (Aguri 720?) although I will go where the camper vans get unless the walls are stone so probably don’t have the same concerns as you👍

Thanks for comments
I doubt very much if there is any difference Baz, height, width, weight, what else can they work on? Length in most cases doesn’t really matter and in places it does there will be signs warning you.
Can’t say I have had a problem with where mine takes me and I think we have the same unit (Aguri 720?) although I will go where the camper vans get unless the walls are stone so probably don’t have the same concerns as you👍
I'm happy with the unit but the width is a con sends me down stupid narrow lanes , bazz

It's the mapping they use, hard to know what's best.
I have a xgody. the only thing it ain't good at is width.
Some routes it gives are questionable,

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back