Travellers set up camp near Blackpool.

Many years ago, a bunch of them decided to park on the IBM playing fields in Havant. (no longer there)
A sargeant from Havant police arrived in a land rover defender with a couple of other PC's.
Chain out and round the A frame on one caravan and start to drive away pulling it.
Within minutes they surrendered and agreed to go. They did so within a very short time.

That copper had balls of steel. But it worked almost instantly.
Police abuse as normal,he was breaking the laws which we set up,right or wrong.

Legislation is in place for dealing with groups. It is "our" law. We hope to live under no other.

The last couple of days Tom I have dug quite deeply into what’s been happening in Castleton Derbyshire and the full timers there displaced by corona

Derbyshire police for the main part were respectful and supportive of those traps even to the extent they offered to bring water so well done them

The fly inThe ointment seems to be Derbyshire county council totally refusing their obligations irrespective of the fact government gave a clear directive as to how travellers should be treated

Under normal circumstances the travellers wouldn’t of moved around together but due to the fact single women have been intimidated safety in numbers in addition some of theTravellers had been furloughed or worked reasonably local.

After the dust has settled I can only surmise the group where illegally harassed I personally would have pressed the police to issue any harassment warnings to those in the council abusing position

That old chestnut rearing it’s ugly head again.
I have found that tarring groups of people all the same is flawed in the extreme.
Much of the dislike of travellers comes from fear and ignorance, and a media that creates a bias against them. Like all human beings everywhere we all have similar traits, and we all have differences of personality within each and every community. There are good and bad everywhere.

I remember reading a book about an American soldier who fought against the Japanese in world war 2. He thought of them all as the same, just brainwashed animals who had to be killed. Until one day he was confronted with a dead Japanese soldier. He found his wallet and in it were pictures of his wife and his two daughters, and a signed photo of his favourite Japanese baseball player. He immediately realised that this man loved his wife and his children just as he did, and he also was a baseball fan just like he was. (Baseball is big in Japan).

Yes there are travellers who are criminals, wife beaters, thieves, conmen, who leave their mess wherever they go, who never pay taxes but expect their kids to be educated, and receive medical treatment as required. But I know folk in our own community who you could tag with all of the above.

The fact is for hundreds of years they have been treated poorly by us, and this has created distrust and downright loathing from both sides. The nazis persecuted them killing hundreds of thousands.

Yes I have experienced poor behaviour from the travelling community, but I see things from our own every day, that are also poor behaviour. Live and let live.
sorry let them move near you, oh you will be happy, you will smile, and when you are down, they will kick you and steel your wallet, keep smilliing its only money,ok.pj

sorry let them move near you, oh you will be happy, you will smile, and when you are down, they will kick you and steel your wallet, keep smilliing its only money,ok.pj
Good and bad in all sectors of the community Peter that’s fishermans point and I agree, I was classed as a traveller at one point labels eh ? And I know a few some wouldn’t trust as far as I could throw them others trust implicitly,Robert and June are English Romany ...he hates swearing in front of women still wears a tie especially Sunday’s...entrenched values...stealing off folk simply doesn’t register his two lads early 20s same vein .....so perhaps explains why I get so defensive, I’m also mindful there are traveller descendent on this site so to label their heritage as all being this or that seems plain rubbish

Good and bad in all sectors of the community Peter that’s fishermans point and I agree, I was classed as a traveller at one point labels eh ? And I know a few some wouldn’t trust as far as I could throw them others trust implicitly,Robert and June are English Romany ...he hates swearing in front of women still wears a tie especially Sunday’s...entrenched values...stealing off folk simply doesn’t register his two lads early 20s same vein .....so perhaps explains why I get so defensive, I’m also mindful there are traveller descendent on this site so to label their heritage as all being this or that seems plain rubbish
never had trouble with romanys, its the others i dont like. ok pj.

One here stole my mates car,two weeks later he was found up an entry with both arms and legs chopped of,yes he was dead,nothing to do with my mate but he must have nicked something from another traveler,they dont take prisoners.

To be candid I know who stole virtually all of my tools and other possessions and where they were from as did the spineless authorities. My life was hell for years, turning my place into a fortress. To avoid any chance of it happening again I've moved a long long away from my life-long pals, old flames, family graves, my familiar haunts and memories. I shouldn't have had to do that but darn glad that I did. I have every sympathy for others similarly blighted. My stomach churns when I read about it on here... so much so in fact I'lll not return to this particular forum... life is too short.
Your being too sensitive leaving the forum BOW,you're a breath of fresh air and right to state your personal experience with the genre of Travellers you experienced. I too have have had
To be candid I know who stole virtually all of my tools and other possessions and where they were from as did the spineless authorities. My life was hell for years, turning my place into a fortress. To avoid any chance of it happening again I've moved a long long away from my life-long pals, old flames, family graves, my familiar haunts and memories. I shouldn't have had to do that but darn glad that I did. I have every sympathy for others similarly blighted. My stomach churns when I read about it on here... so much so in fact I'lll not return to this particular forum... life is too short.
Your being too sensitive BOW leaving the forum as you are a breath of fresh air, l don't doubt your account of your experience with the genre of Travellers you've had, but at the same time you must remember folk on here seem to have a different experience with them. Speaking from my personal experience l have nothing good to say about them as in picking up at Travellers sites and other first hand contact.

Working the big antique fairs I came into contact with the Irish travelling community quite a lot. They always had the top of the range furniture to sell and dressed immaculately. The stall next to me sold old toys and one day some Irish children got in over night and nicked a few. The next morning the kids were marched around to the stallholder to aplogise before they got a good hiding. Thats not to say they didn't cause trouble, the fights were nightly,

Don't be so daft man, some people on here are very sensitive about 'yooman rites' innit. Just ignore them ... I do.

You are lucky, there are members on here who report me to Admin almost on a daily basis because I am not far enough Left in my politics. I never rated Trotsky anyway .... alright, he wrote some good songs but he couldn't hold a tune. :(

There are miserable peeps wherever you go, so better the tosser you know etc etc. ;)

The last couple of days Tom I have dug quite deeply into what’s been happening in Castleton Derbyshire and the full timers there displaced by corona

Derbyshire police for the main part were respectful and supportive of those traps even to the extent they offered to bring water so well done them

The fly inThe ointment seems to be Derbyshire county council totally refusing their obligations irrespective of the fact government gave a clear directive as to how travellers should be treated

Under normal circumstances the travellers wouldn’t of moved around together but due to the fact single women have been intimidated safety in numbers in addition some of theTravellers had been furloughed or worked reasonably local.

After the dust has settled I can only surmise the group where illegally harassed I personally would have pressed the police to issue any harassment warnings to those in the council abusing position
which ones,?were do you start, here there they are every were, most are not british, oh never mind, only my application of a situation out of control. ok,pj.

The story states that they turned up over the weekend,were moved on and settled themselves in another car park,the council were right to move them on as the rules state they should be wherever they were at the start of lockdown. They should be facing charges for breaking lockdown rules,they should have been directed back to wherever they came from originally.
Absolutely agree! What difference between them travelling and us!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back