Travel Insurance -- a case study of a claim

r4dent

There are many posting asking about the services offered by various travel Insurance policies when it comes to meeting claims so I thought I would share my experience of Travel Insurance 4 Medical. My wife and I have a joint worldwide multi trip policy with them.

Why did we need to claim? .We boarded the Ferry home from Bilbao at 9am on Wednesday 8th October 2019, but my wife was taken ill and we evacuated from the Ferry and taken by ambulance (Blues & Twos) to a Public Hospital in Bilbao. She was admitted and remained in Hospital until 16th October. I stayed in a hostel close by and we moved to a more suitable Hotel after she left Hospital. Our motorhome remained on board and sailed to Portsmouth, it was returned to Bilbao on the next available sailing (thank you Brittany Ferries). The hospital (in writing) declared my wife fit to travel when she was discharged. The insurance company’s agent confirmed she was fit to travel on 21 Oct. However, Brittany Ferries had no availability from Spain to UK for at least six weeks so we elected to drive home though France, and the agents agreed. We arrived home on 24th October having spent 2 nights in French Aires and one night in Stratford car park. My wife continued to have NHS treatment in the UK until 18th November.

What was covered ?
My accommodation costs (no food) whilst she was in hospital.
Our accommodation costs (no food) after she was discharged.
Repatriation – Tolls; Fuel @ 22p per mile (under half of the HMRC AMAP rate for cars!); Tunnel Cost.
£20 per day allowance whilst my wife was in hospital.

What was NOT covered ?
Food for my wife or myself.
Taxis except for my wife’s travel to the Hotel from the Hospital and to / from a Spanish clinic for further outpatient treatment.
Emergency clothing. We only had clothes for the 24 hours on the Ferry. This had to suffice until we started the journey home (13 days) and that is a long time without getting changed !

What was NOT claimed ?

Accommodation during repatriation. Because we traveled in the Motorhome and overnighted in Car Parks we didn’t claim anything for this. Apart from a couple of meals we ate stuff we had in the van on the way home and didn’t claim.
The hospital treatment was free (EHIC).

Would I use them again ?
On balance YES.

There is no way we would travel abroad without some form of insurance and their price was very competitive. Their max. trip duration was also quite high and this is a significant factor for Motorhomers. The service whilst we were in Spain was very supportive, if at times a little slow. Everything they didn’t pay is in accordance with letter of the Policy, just not within the spirit of insurance.

We had to claim on our CAMC Insurance a few years back. We had chartered a yacht in Turkey and a couple of weeks before we were due to go SWMBO had gall bladder problems. Doctor told her not to travel so we contacted CAMC Insurance. Very straight forward. We cancelled what we could but could not cancel the yacht charter so they paid for that and cancellation expenses. Very good service. Used them in Spain the other year when I burnt my foot. They kept in contact with us everyday and made sure we were getting the treatment I needed. They offered to get a private doctor out if needed. All in all a brilliant service.

Last edited:
We had to use CAMC insurance over 20 years ago. Couldn't fault them. We didn't have the pay any hospital fees or repatriation fees,.Even the phone calls I had to make to them were free.

Out of interest how much did you pay yearly for the CAMC insurance policy ?
Plus anyone know how this compares with the C&CC and do they have a similar policy.
Thanks. David.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back