Towing

Dino

Hi Folks. I've decided to take the plunge and buy a small car to tow using an 'A' frame. I've tried looking on line for suitable cars but, as with most internet info, there's volumes of info which ends up demotivating the search so I thought I'd ask my fellow motorhomers for some feedback. My car of choice will be a small hybrid, suitable for 4 people and it would be great if we could strap 2 bikes onto the back. pros and cons please. TIA

For me personally I would prefer a trailer as a towed vehicle is still getting wear and tear the more you tow it and some countries won't allow you to tow on an A frame. You can also put a bike rack on the front of the trailer to carry bikes. But that's just my opinion, I'm sure many will disagree with me. .

For me personally I would prefer a trailer as a towed vehicle is still getting wear and tear the more you tow it and some countries won't allow you to tow on an A frame. You can also put a bike rack on the front of the trailer to carry bikes. But that's just my opinion, I'm sure many will disagree with me. .
Hi Makzine, thanks for this. Wasn't aware A frame towing was banned in some countries. I understand vs a trailer comes down to preference.

You can use one in GB, but they must be able to put the brakes on in the car being towed, this is done with a hydraulic master cyl and ram fitted between the drivers seat and brake pedal, many other countries dont allow them and you have to have a unit which lifts the front wheels.
Also remember many cars with power steering will struggle at low speeds on turns and scrub tyres, also many automatics are out for towing.

Reversing with an a frame (sticking mi neck out) is impossible,
Difficult, but not impossible with a bit of experience, for the UK it is the best way to take a car IMHO, the only problem with a trailer is finding somewhere to put it, forget Europe although some countries turn a blind eye to it, Spain is a definite NO these days and not likely to change

Just sold one and bought another. The new one I got has the electric braking system and the A frame is a lot lighter than the one I sold the new one was converted by towbars2towcars. That’s the thing you don’t always need a tow car but it’s handy when you do occasionally need it but you’d be really stuck if you wanted to go away in your caravan without your car.

We tried a different approach. SWMBO followed me in the car to Devon. We had been before and it is not that MH friendly. First and last journey were the furthest after that it was just a few moves between sites. We also tried it when we went to Cromer but missed the MH so we downsized and forgot about the car. The smaller MH is much easier to park and we do find spaces. So much nicer having your own bits and pieces with you on a day out. Lot of towed cars on CAMC sites they might as well just buy a caravan and pull it with a car.

Difficult, but not impossible with a bit of experience, for the UK it is the best way to take a car IMHO, the only problem with a trailer is finding somewhere to put it, forget Europe although some countries turn a blind eye to it, Spain is a definite NO these days and not likely to change
Yeh, Ive seen the issues of parking the trailor. Thanks

Just sold one and bought another. The new one I got has the electric braking system and the A frame is a lot lighter than the one I sold the new one was converted by towbars2towcars. That’s the thing you don’t always need a tow car but it’s handy when you do occasionally need it but you’d be really stuck if you wanted to go away in your caravan without your car.
yeh. Some of the laybys for cycle trails of hill walking/climbing dont lend themselves to the moho parking without being extremely selfish. thanks

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back