Tow bar bike rack

tidewatcher

After carrying one electric and one normal bike on my 2009 Ducato rear door mounted bike rack it has strained the door seam just above the door handle. The rack is the type with the upper mountings below the rear window. I am looking at a tow bar mounted rack but it needs to allow the rear doors to open. Has anyone tried the Altea Strada, if so can you open the rear doors when it’s folded back? All a bit of a minefield but some actual experience of this type of rack would be useful. Sorry this is boringly practical as a post, really couldn’t work politics or Covid into it no matter how I tried.

That looks similar to in laws rack fitted to a LWB WildAx, IIRC opening the rear doors depends on the ground level at back of van, also remember the rack is still there and might be in way depending on what you want to do, also adds around 1m to overall length.
A bit late, but did you have the door rack screwed/bolted as well as clamped? As some seem to slip, but others like our old one stayed rock solid. I did change ours to a swing out as we now have 2 ebikes, and wasn't happy with the weight on door.

That looks similar to in laws rack fitted to a LWB WildAx, IIRC opening the rear doors depends on the ground level at back of van, also remember the rack is still there and might be in way depending on what you want to do, also adds around 1m to overall length.
A bit late, but did you have the door rack screwed/bolted as well as clamped? As some seem to slip, but others like our old one stayed rock solid. I did change ours to a swing out as we now have 2 ebikes, and wasn't happy with the weight on door.
My rack is a four point fixing to the rear door, bolted. The upper fixings are just below the rear window and the weight has pulled the outer door skin slightly outwards and the rolled seam between the outer door skin and the inner rear upright section has pulled out for about 6mm exposing the white adhesive ( oh for spot welds!). Which swing out one are you using?

My old rack, the top fixings where above window, so maybe that's why ours didn't pull out.
I built my own rack, a cross between Memo Van Swing, and a Busbiker. It fixes similar to a Van Swing, but fitted parts of my old rack to the swinging bar, which means it sits closer to rear of van and leaves towball in place for when racks not used, the Van Swing replaces the towball with one that can only be used with rack. Our XLWB plus Rack is same length as a LWB plus Van Swing, the Busbiker might be a bit shorter than Van Swing, but the corners stick out full width which means the van is virtually as big as a 7m coach built.

My old rack, the top fixings where above window, so maybe that's why ours didn't pull out.
I built my own rack, a cross between Memo Van Swing, and a Busbiker. It fixes similar to a Van Swing, but fitted parts of my old rack to the swinging bar, which means it sits closer to rear of van and leaves towball in place for when racks not used, the Van Swing replaces the towball with one that can only be used with rack. Our XLWB plus Rack is same length as a LWB plus Van Swing, the Busbiker might be a bit shorter than Van Swing, but the corners stick out full width which means the van is virtually as big as a 7m coach built.
Thanks, will look at those two and maybe make my own.

I bought a Thule 3 bike towbar mounted rack, it tilts back far enough to get my Fiat Panda tailgate open but that swings upwards, I would advise trying one before buying
download (3).jpeg

Well anything you hang on hinges will strain them i'm with tezza 33 solution towbar mounted

I've got the Altera Strada DL3 on the towbar of my Ducato PVC. It is a great bit of kit. I had to add a 20mm spacer between the towbar bracket and towball to get the necessary clearance. When tilted both doors can be fully opened to access the van with 2 bikes in place. The rack takes 3 bikes and if I use the rail nearest to the back of the van then the doors still catch ,but my bike has a very large frame and wide bars. On the 2 other rails no probs. Beware, many other tilting racks are for hatchbacks and do not work with van doors. I bought mine from the Roofbox Co. They were very knowledgable about which racks would work with which vehicle.

Well anything you hang on hinges will strain them i'm with tezza 33 solution towbar mounted
I have a Hymer which has a strong rear wall but I was concerned about hanging two electric bikes on it (it was also difficult to lift them on) so this seemed to be the best idea, anything hanging on rear doors must put a lot of strain on the them so I wouldn't even consider it

just bought a thule x2 easyfold..remove and pack away etc. holds 2 x 30kg e bikes..
Can you open the rear doors with the rack and bike on when tilted back or do you need to remove the rack and bikes to open the doors?

I use a Pendle Ebike towball rack. It does not fold away and does prevent opening the rear doors on my Trafic. My choice as would be unsure of the strain on a hinge mechanism. Such strain increases with the distance from the hinges of the bike mount.

The Thule Towbar mounted "EasyRack" is very good and very strong. I have one I adapted to use on my LT to carry an external box and Generator - and might well use on the Motorhome as well I think.
If anyone looking for a bargain, I have a second one, unadapted and still in the box ;)

The Thule is a good bit of kit and used on my old T5 VW the back doors could be opened.

Another vote for the Thule. The lights are very good and it stores easily.

When touring I use a Bak Rak carrier which clamps and bolts to the tow bar ball. My fiamma back box (with vehicle regn plate) fastens to the carrier, easily removable but secure.
If on a site for several days I can often remove and safely secure the back box with lock and chains to solid fixtures on the pitch during days out.
Additionally I have fitted a long bar between the tow ball mount and tow bar, each end has an eye bolt and I use turn buckles to the carrier to give extra lateral stability. Belt and braces I suppose. A small rear cycle lamp clips onto the carrier for night time driving.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back