Timing belt .

Topmast

Just been thinking about the renewal of timing belts on campers. When I replace my van the first job is always replace belt never mind what the previous owner says, now this next bit doesn’t actually apply to me as I have been lucky enough to be able to get some use out of the van in the last year .However my understanding is a lot of vehicles have not been used at all in the last eighteen months so will the belts have deteriorated just from standing .?Also of coarse the brakes are going to need a lot of freeing off and if you were for forgetful and left the hand brake on a big hammer will be needed.

Wheel cyc and calipers will be stuck fast, a strip down a lub is the order of the day, i just take mine out for a we spin down the rd to kids grans which is six miles, some shopping taken to, also today had to take grandad to horspidel for some tests which was in Larne, so a 20 mile round trip.

Belt change booked. Tyre pressure put at 80psi for duration of winter. 20 to 30 mile run every few weeks. Was up van in storage Sunday, all good. Solar keeping both batteries topped up.
Can't wait to get away it's been mental at work last few months ☹️

Bought my van 5years ago and changed the belt.
Changed again a couple of weeks ago despite not having the maximum mileage allowed.
Belts do deteriorate with time.
Better safe than sorry.

When researching vehicles I got the impression that timing chains were preferable (wrong?)

Why did manufacturers move away from timing chains and if it was cost why aren't replacement upgrade chain kits not available?

When researching vehicles I got the impression that timing chains were preferable (wrong?)

Why did manufacturers move away from timing chains and if it was cost why aren't replacement upgrade chain kits not available?
No way of keeping the oil in as the design of the front of the engine is compleatly different, also belts are cheaper to install and replace.

Just been thinking about the renewal of timing belts on campers. When I replace my van the first job is always replace belt never mind what the previous owner says, now this next bit doesn’t actually apply to me as I have been lucky enough to be able to get some use out of the van in the last year .However my understanding is a lot of vehicles have not been used at all in the last eighteen months so will the belts have deteriorated just from standing .?Also of coarse the brakes are going to need a lot of freeing off and if you were for forgetful and left the hand brake on a big hammer will be needed.

Belts do suffer if left in one position over time though it does depend somewhat on how tight the turns on the belt run are. That's why manufacturers generally specify both a distance and a time (usually 5 years) so just follow what the guidance is. For Ducati motorcycles its 2 years regardless of mileage as the belts have some very tight turns in that application.

Keith

While excepting belts are cheaper to install I much prefer chains and wish more manufacturers fitted them,but if they did I am sure they would be as cheap as possible and still break. I know the old vehicles used to rattle from noisy chains but it was unheard of to break.

Even better is gear drive! Several motorbike engines have suffered from problems with timing chain/tensioner wear so they are certainly not fool proof. In particular, Honda had a lot of problems with the chain camshaft drives on earlier V4 engines. They switched to gear drive in their later V4's and they were pretty much bulletproof.

Keith

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back