They don't give a fig

bobj808

I am reading a work of fiction about MI5 at the moment - an Officer meets with an MP at Portcullis House and there is a discussion about the fig trees in the atrium which aren't very healthy. Anyway, MP says to blame the Blairite years of endlessly wasting money, the trees were imported from Florida and current spend on them was £400,000 pounds. I had a look on Google and found it was actually true! There must be many incidents in Parliament of this nature of wasting our money. How and why do they think they have the right. In the greater scheme of things it may be a small amount but when it's all added up, well...…! Just highlights the utter contempt in which we are held. Bob
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

antiquesam

It doesn't have to justified to shareholders or a board of directors. It just gets buried. I always had a suspicion that politicians were useless, work shy morons with no experience of the real world and the last few months have certainly confirmed it.

andyjanet

How about the green leather and oak panelling they are having fitted in their temporary home because it has to look like a debating chamber How about renting a warehouse near Milton Keynes and put bunk beds in with a soup kitchen and plastic chairs for the shower of wasters that are supposed to look after our interest

daygoboy

Free Member
When the revolution comes and we strip them of everything including their clothes, we can hand them a shrivelled fig leaf to save their dignity and our eyesight. Methinks £400k a small price to pay. Onwards and upwards bro!!

QFour

Don’t forget their eye watering pensions that we provide for them and the £300 a day paid to anyone who fancies a kip in the other place. I enjoyed some of the YouTube videos on the nuclear bunkers that they spent vast sums of money on. Not for the likes of you and me but for themselves so that when they emerged after the nuclear hollocast there would be a government to make decisions and issue orders but to who. Surely it should have been farmers, metalworkers, engineers, electricians etc who should have got a seat in the shelter rather than politicians and local dignitaries who serve no real benefit.

Last edited:

daygoboy

Free Member
QFour No, surely the nuclear bunkers should have been reserved for chimps and gorillas, then evolution might go through the process all over again and produce a superior replacement species of human beings You say the bunkers were for Politicians and the like? Ah yes, I see, that actually was the plan. ;)

martinmartin

I am reading a work of fiction about MI5 at the moment - an Officer meets with an MP at Portcullis House and there is a discussion about the fig trees in the atrium which aren't very healthy. Anyway, MP says to blame the Blairite years of endlessly wasting money, the trees were imported from Florida and current spend on them was £400,000 pounds. I had a look on Google and found it was actually true! There must be many incidents in Parliament of this nature of wasting our money. How and why do they think they have the right. In the greater scheme of things it may be a small amount but when it's all added up, well...…! Just highlights the utter contempt in which we are held. Bob A work of fiction with a grain of proof mmm, l don't doubt it but people given power will authorize follies.

martinmartin

What do you mean 'with a grain of proof?' Don't you believe it. Up to you I suppose. Of course l believe it.what l mean is the book isn't completely fictional is it.

Private

Of course l believe it.what l mean is the book isn't completely fictional is it. Most fiction contains fact; difficult not to. Fiction is used to get stories out without falling foul of the official secrets act. Note how many fictionsl books contain characters who are writers or reporters. It is because that is the profession they know best. Also a little ego stroker as the writer is often the hero. My partner hates the fact I pointed this out to her as she now notices it occurs far too often. Note also how even movies claiming to be based on facts or a true story still contain the disclaimer along the lines of "any persons or characters portrayed in this movie are fictional. Any likeness to actual persons alive or dead is purely coincidental" (words to that effect). How can that legal disclaimer be used when they have already stated the movie is based on real events?

martinmartin

Most fiction contains fact; difficult not to. Fiction is used to get stories out without falling foul of the official secrets act. Note how many fictionsl books contain characters who are writers or reporters. It is because that is the profession they know best. Also a little ego stroker as the writer is often the hero. My partner hates the fact I pointed this out to her as she now notices it occurs far too often. Note also how even movies claiming to be based on facts or a true story still contain the disclaimer along the lines of "any persons or characters portrayed in this movie are fictional. Any likeness to actual persons alive or dead is purely coincidental" (words to that effect). How can that legal disclaimer be used when they have already stated the movie is based on real events?