They are trying to ban us in Scotland!

Borders2

This was posted up in another forum. There is a website for the CC which some might like to mail.............

"
The letter was sent to Community Councils throughout Scotland asking for help and co-operation in getting camper vans banned from informal, or wild camping, in Scotland.
The letter came from the pen of someone called Viki Sutherland, who is Chair of the Glencoe & Glen Etive Community Council.

I won’t reproduce all the letter but key points include the following:
“I have already spoken to many of you on the phone but feel that in spite of this I should include you in the e-mail setting out the Glencoe & Glen Etive Community Councils idea to get as many Community Councils to back a collective approach to the problem we all suffer from – over tourism.”
“We would like to suggest that a law be brought in in Scotland that makes it illegal to park overnight in any place other than a proper Camp site. Be this for small vans camping as well as the thousands of Campervans & Caravans that visit us every year.”
“All this needs to be rolled out "pan Scotland”. We all should apply the same rules and have the same signs as our neighbours in order for this to be effective.”
“Once we have agreement and as many onboard as possible we should involve the Scottish Government because only through them will we be able to resolve this.”
“We have all enjoyed a traffic & litter free 3 months and we see the difference to our wildlife and our own lives. None of us want to return to what was deemed as "normal" behaviour by our Visitors. We need the Tourists but if we are not to be overwhelmed again we help to mange them.”
I was very saddened to read this. An attempt to criminalise an innocent pastime is pretty nasty and while I would be the first to agree that some campervanners fall short of the required behaviour it’s unfortunate that this Community Council has failed to recognise the changing face of tourism in Scotland.
When I was a lad we stayed in a caravan on a campsite for a couple of weeks at a time. We didn’t move around. The caravan was static. Most folk enjoyed holidays like this.
Today’s active travel market is very different. People want to explore, they want to use their campervan to travel and live in while they walk, climb, cycle, paddle a canoe or watch birds and wildlife. They want to be able to move around and park at night in a safe piece of level ground. They will check into a campsite every few days to shower and empty waste and pick up fresh water.
Rather than vehemently oppose this form of tourism I’m particularly sad at the lack of vision shown by this Community Council. They should see it as an opportunity, not a problem. An opportunity to create small, informal parking spaces on the edge of villages or towns where camper vans could park overnight for a small fee to cover costs.
Better still would be the creation of a network of Continental-style aires, again with the overnight fees going to the community. It amazes me that in a country like Scotland, that boasts of being progressive, we are actually regressive on issues like this.
It seems that camper vans are being blamed for littering the countryside when recent events during lockdown have clearly demonstrated the fact that the gross littering of our countryside is by members of the general public, folk from all walks of life. Indeed I would go as far as suggesting that campervan owners are amongst the most caring of countryside users.
While many campervanners don’t want to pay upwards of £30-35 for a pitch in a five-star campsite that has all-singing, all-dancing facilities (although some are happy to pay that) I’m pretty sure most are happy to pay a realistic fee for a night in a budget one-star campsite, or Aire.
Instead of trying to criminalise campervanners, community councils should be working with us to create a network of such budget overnights. They will make money from it, their local shops, restaurants, pubs etc will benefit from it and we campervanners will benefit from it too.
I would urge Scottish Community Councils to sit down and talk to us campervan users. There are ways we can all benefit from dialogue and create something that would be good for Scotland, and on a final note I would just add that making overnight campervan parking illegal would mean re-writing UK Traffic law, and that ain’t going to happen. Let’s iron out the problems that exist and create somewhere worthy to benefit everyone. It can be done."

Ths "I" is the fist poster not myself.

B2

So what she is in effect saying is if you're a car owner as a tourist you are more than welcome, come and park where you want, everybody else can bugger off, or stop on a housing estate, oh sorry campsite.
This is one downside I seem to be seeing more and more of since this Pandemic hit, people who have the priveledge of living in, shall I say, more appealing areas of OUR country are wanting to keep, the riff raff out. They seem to be under the impression that they own their little corner of the country and should only allow in people of choice. As for a traffic and litter free three months - no £$%^ Sherlock, WE'VE BEEN IN LOCKDOWN! I live in quite a large town and it's been low on traffic and littering too!!!! Ooh what a surprise. Rant over.

I read that yesterday and that’s exactly my thoughts Sue I’ve seen the mess that those in tents leave when we’ve been up there and around Loch Lomond, not not just rubbish because we’ve moved on from places because of it with us in a motorhome we’d probably get the blame! There was a comment on there from someone who basically said we don’t contribute to local economy ie: we take everything food fuel and water!! Everywhere we go we buy fuel,local food and go onto sites plus we spend on presents to take home and we spend apart from that at least £350/400 maybe more depending what we see and like in the way of clothes and other things

Last edited:
I enjoy the occasional trip around Scotland, we don’t use sites, but we do use their fuel stations, supermarkets, local shops etc. but in all this we will be stopping wherever sensible and we always take our rubbish with us and dispose of it sensibly. If we aren’t going to be welcome to do this and mandated to use their campsites what on earth will we do?

Pop across to France? And what have they got to offer? Apart from the fact that motorhomers are actively welcomed.
Overnighting facilities called aires, many free, many with free electricity, free water etc.
Better weather most of the time. A wider range of scenery to suit all tastes. Better food and drink. Friendly natives and above all else I can understand the locals

I'd like to go to scotland lovely countryside but other end of country to me - uk weather unpredictable so for me better option is ferry and more predictable weather and just head south - or the west devon / cornwall i can get home same day if weather gets bad

I'm vice-chair of a Scottish Community Council and Glencoe CC haven't contacted us about this proposal, so it it appears that the proposal hasn't been that widely circulated.

As a motorhomer (as well as a Community Councillor!) I would obviously oppose this proposal if we had been consulted, and I think I probably speak for my fellow councillors too. We're only too aware of the litter problems created by day-trippers in cars as we have a couple of hot spots in our area.

Trouble is this Pandemic will give those that oppose motorhomers for a variety of reasons ammunition like some of the guff posted in that letter. Chances are they will have a vested interest in banning us from wilding so will invent stories. So the environment has improved because nobody has been wild camping in self contained motorhomes. Bullshit. Its probably improved because nobody has been going anywhere!

I do think life is going to be difficult for wild camping for a while though. Yorkieowl suggested that there has been a bit of Nimbyism going on and locals wanting to keep the riff raff out but sadly a lot of it is totally justified. A lot of beauty spots have been devastated by terrible loutish behaviour and I have seen the impact directly myself here in both the Upper Dales and Richmond. Its nothing to do with motorhomers of course but its just made people resent outsiders. Elderly populations are vulnerable and frankly scared and not without good reason. My worry is people like the person who wrote that letter will jump on that to ban the likes of us who are no threat whatsoever.

Good to see the response from Grahampye above though.

This was posted up in another forum. There is a website for the CC which some might like to mail.............

"
The letter was sent to Community Councils throughout Scotland asking for help and co-operation in getting camper vans banned from informal, or wild camping, in Scotland.
The letter came from the pen of someone called Viki Sutherland, who is Chair of the Glencoe & Glen Etive Community Council.

I won’t reproduce all the letter but key points include the following:
“I have already spoken to many of you on the phone but feel that in spite of this I should include you in the e-mail setting out the Glencoe & Glen Etive Community Councils idea to get as many Community Councils to back a collective approach to the problem we all suffer from – over tourism.”
“We would like to suggest that a law be brought in in Scotland that makes it illegal to park overnight in any place other than a proper Camp site. Be this for small vans camping as well as the thousands of Campervans & Caravans that visit us every year.”
“All this needs to be rolled out "pan Scotland”. We all should apply the same rules and have the same signs as our neighbours in order for this to be effective.”
“Once we have agreement and as many onboard as possible we should involve the Scottish Government because only through them will we be able to resolve this.”
“We have all enjoyed a traffic & litter free 3 months and we see the difference to our wildlife and our own lives. None of us want to return to what was deemed as "normal" behaviour by our Visitors. We need the Tourists but if we are not to be overwhelmed again we help to mange them.”
I was very saddened to read this. An attempt to criminalise an innocent pastime is pretty nasty and while I would be the first to agree that some campervanners fall short of the required behaviour it’s unfortunate that this Community Council has failed to recognise the changing face of tourism in Scotland.
When I was a lad we stayed in a caravan on a campsite for a couple of weeks at a time. We didn’t move around. The caravan was static. Most folk enjoyed holidays like this.
Today’s active travel market is very different. People want to explore, they want to use their campervan to travel and live in while they walk, climb, cycle, paddle a canoe or watch birds and wildlife. They want to be able to move around and park at night in a safe piece of level ground. They will check into a campsite every few days to shower and empty waste and pick up fresh water.
Rather than vehemently oppose this form of tourism I’m particularly sad at the lack of vision shown by this Community Council. They should see it as an opportunity, not a problem. An opportunity to create small, informal parking spaces on the edge of villages or towns where camper vans could park overnight for a small fee to cover costs.
Better still would be the creation of a network of Continental-style aires, again with the overnight fees going to the community. It amazes me that in a country like Scotland, that boasts of being progressive, we are actually regressive on issues like this.
It seems that camper vans are being blamed for littering the countryside when recent events during lockdown have clearly demonstrated the fact that the gross littering of our countryside is by members of the general public, folk from all walks of life. Indeed I would go as far as suggesting that campervan owners are amongst the most caring of countryside users.
While many campervanners don’t want to pay upwards of £30-35 for a pitch in a five-star campsite that has all-singing, all-dancing facilities (although some are happy to pay that) I’m pretty sure most are happy to pay a realistic fee for a night in a budget one-star campsite, or Aire.
Instead of trying to criminalise campervanners, community councils should be working with us to create a network of such budget overnights. They will make money from it, their local shops, restaurants, pubs etc will benefit from it and we campervanners will benefit from it too.
I would urge Scottish Community Councils to sit down and talk to us campervan users. There are ways we can all benefit from dialogue and create something that would be good for Scotland, and on a final note I would just add that making overnight campervan parking illegal would mean re-writing UK Traffic law, and that ain’t going to happen. Let’s iron out the problems that exist and create somewhere worthy to benefit everyone. It can be done."

Ths "I" is the fist poster not myself.

B2
I have just Goggled Viki Sutherland, and it appears she is the owner of Glencoe Cottages.
Perhaps there may be a conflict of interest on her part ??

Tipical new incomer, we have had the same problem in the area but was resolved in a very nice and gentlemanly manner, they wanted everything thier way and no change, rather strange that all the grassland round thier property required a lot of pig mig (pig slurry) at regular intervals and a couple of times machines have broken down in the lane, we are still wondering why the left, one thing for sure, it wasn't what any body said, nobody spoke to them.

So what she is in effect saying is if you're a car owner as a tourist you are more than welcome, come and park where you want, everybody else can bugger off, or stop on a housing estate, oh sorry campsite.
This is one downside I seem to be seeing more and more of since this Pandemic hit, people who have the priveledge of living in, shall I say, more appealing areas of OUR country are wanting to keep, the riff raff out. They seem to be under the impression that they own their little corner of the country and should only allow in people of choice. As for a traffic and litter free three months - no £$%^ Sherlock, WE'VE BEEN IN LOCKDOWN! I live in quite a large town and it's been low on traffic and littering too!!!! Ooh what a surprise. Rant over.
hold it, there is more to come, make no mistake, oh its a lock down. oh no it is not. yes.no oh,ok.pj let it settle. you will find a spot,

hold it, there is more to come, make no mistake, oh its a lock down. oh no it is not. yes.no oh,ok.pj let it settle. you will find a spot,
Ha ha Peter, we sold our mh last year, so if we park up we’ll be under the radar sleeping in the back of the car. 🌚😁 Very comfy it is too.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back