Thetford Fridge

tidewatcher

I am blessed with having a Thetford fridge in my van which, if I am honest has worked pretty well on our recent trip. On one occasion there was a strong gusty wind (outside) and I could hear the igniter clicking then a slight woomph as it reignited. Not entirely relaxing. Having looked on the Thetford website for a means of asking someone I concluded that they are more secretive than MI5, at least they have a contact number however the website did mention a Thetford Fridge Combustion Flap.

Anyway I was curious to know what that item is, what it does and where it is mounted? Basically does it help prevent the burner blowing out in very strong winds?

I noticed on my Thetford installation, I was missing a cover in front of the burner which I could well imagine could allow a big gust to blow a flame out?
This post shows my burner without the cover initially and then later on with the cover in place (I found it in the cupboard under the fridge oddly enough)

leisureshopdirect.com/cooling/caravan-fridge/thetford-fridge-and-spare-parts/dometic-smev-cu433-spare-parts/thetford-fridge-combustion-flap#ppSpecs[iframes]/2/

Anyway I was curious to know what that item is, what it does and where it is mounted? Basically does it help prevent the burner blowing out in very strong winds?

I would have thought it would be the pilot that gets blown out.

Here is a link to details of the flap.

leisureshopdirect.com/cooling/caravan-fridge/thetford-fridge-and-spare-parts/dometic-smev-cu433-spare-parts/thetford-fridge-combustion-flap#ppSpecs[iframes]/2/

<snip> Having looked on the Thetford website for a means of asking someone I concluded that they are more secretive than MI5, at least they have a contact number <snip>
You might try 01709 766750, which I found on another website. I also came across 0844 997 1962, but that is a premium rate number; you could try changing the code to 0344 and see whether that works.

There's a website that offers alternatives for premium rate numbers - www.saynoto0870.com

For this, it suggests 01709 766750
The geographic number was the first one that I indicated; I had also checked saynoto0870 in case it would confirm the existence of an 0344 number as a fallback, but no such luck.

I think Dometic and Thetford fridges are built by blindfolded children and installed by their fingerless parents :cool:

Thanks for your efforts but the Thetford Customer Firewall holds firm. I rang the 01709 number which gave the usual options. you can only ask for technical advice if you are an engineer fitting an appliance (. Ooh nurse). For customer technical queries you have to ring the supplying agent, bear in mind that was in 2007 and I have no idea who it was. Looked at the local agents and from my experience they wouldn’t have a clue and would only be interested in selling you a new item.

This must be a new low in customer service or is it just me?

I noticed on my Thetford installation, I was missing a cover in front of the burner which I could well imagine could allow a big gust to blow a flame out?
This post shows my burner without the cover initially and then later on with the cover in place (I found it in the cupboard under the fridge oddly enough)
Checked your photos and my fridge has the small cover over the burner as in your second photo. The item I have seen appears to be a longer plate and I am curious to know where it fits and what it is for. Nothing on the thetford website gives you a clue. Thanks for chipping in, it’s all a bit of a mystery.

Checked your photos and my fridge has the small cover over the burner as in your second photo. The item I have seen appears to be a longer plate and I am curious to know where it fits and what it is for. Nothing on the thetford website gives you a clue. Thanks for chipping in, it’s all a bit of a mystery.
I couldn't identify that part either as being present on my fridge. And as it says it is for a few models including the N180 - and mine was the N180, I am thinking it is one of those parts where the distributor doesn't really know what it is for. (bit like those vehicle checkers on eBay listing where a part is compatible with millions of makes or compatible with nothing!)
I am certainly no expert, but if you look at the back of the fridge via the lower vent and see no apparent missing or damaged parts, you don't need it?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back