The Whitby Letter - some thoughts

• Thread starter Deleted member 34243
  • Start date

Deleted member 34243

A bit long for which I apologise

Some random / unstructured thoughts that might help our thoughts about the Whitby letter.
These are entirely my personal thoughts so please don’t start shouting if you don’t like them.

Firstly I do not live in Whitby, nor do I wish to. I do, however, visit regularly.

Possibly the biggest problem with Whitby is parking.
It grew up before cars and consequently many of the streets are terraced with no off street parking.
The sheer number of visitors plus the residents meant that every day parking was becoming ‘impossible’. The residents kicked off and a residents parking scheme was introduced. Not universally popular with residents but said to be better than it was.
The downside was that it reduced the number of visitor / commuter spaces.

No Overnight Parking for Motorcaravans. I can’t find much that suggests that many residents are even aware that this constraint exists and if asked some say ‘why / that’s silly’

I have done a good few circuits of the town and environs and I personally think there are more places to overnight than there are banned places.

I have joined a few of the many Whitby FB groups and offer the following observations.

The residents are inordinately proud of their town and are keen for visitors.
This includes many who gain no direct financial benefit from tourists.

Having looked at a couple of old financial assessments for the town It is clear that holidaymakers (day trippers and longer term accommodation) are an important source of revenue. I’m just not sure that trying to make s financial point from some MH staying overnight is such a killer point.

A suggestion: since the FB groups are many and popular might there be some benefit in us trying to raise the issues via the ‘ordinary’ folk of the town rather than the faceless officials.
May I suggest a casual, individual approach at first followed by a WC approach later.

Of course they may just say piss off we don’t want you - then again they might not.

All I can say is thanks for trying but good luck , you are going to need it , you have probably got more chance of picking 6 winning numbers for next saturdays Lottery

Whitby are at present looking at opening up the carpark on the cliff by the Abby to MH overnighting for a small charge so there is no reason that you cannot overnight there (once it’s gone through) and then you get up early in the morning as you can park on West Cliff from 7am until 11pm what you cannot do is turn up on West cliff at midday and expect to be able to parks 6/8metre motorhome but surely that’s the same anywhere you want to park in a prime spot with great views get there early. 👍

Whitby are at present looking at opening up the carpark on the cliff by the Abby to MH overnighting for a small charge so there is no reason that you cannot overnight there (once it’s gone through) and then you get up early in the morning as you can park on West Cliff from 7am until 11pm what you cannot do is turn up on West cliff at midday and expect to be able to parks 6/8metre motorhome but surely that’s the same anywhere you want to park in a prime spot with great views get there early. 👍
yes I know but there was a recent very long thread about a letter to Whitby council. I was merely trying to suggest that an informal approach to residents to get them on side might support an approach to officialdom.

And neither could anyone in a smart car Annie.

I have never visited Whitby Ann no clue of the area. I have to say I was impressed with the park and ride facility at Canterbury where there are areas set out for MH’s. Water and grey water dump available too for a small charge to overnight, perhaps similar could be possible at Whitby, with bus service taking visitors direct to town?
There is a good park and ride already which could be used during summer....no good for winter though, i think it closes at the end of October. Don't think they have water and dumping but shouldn't be too difficult, expensive to install to existing facilities.

We took the girls to Whitby for a day trip during half term last year, we parked in P&R. By the afternoon we found it very busy, and gf mentioned this to a trader, she said it was a relatively quiet day, probably due to the weather. From this I conclude that once CV-19 has gone they will have no great longing for extra visitors.

Ah OK, so council could make facilities which are available at Canterbury, yes of course an expense, which can be clawed back over time by applying a reasonable charge?

Why is P&R no good during winter?

It is closed and locked because it simply isn't needed as there is ample parking in Whitby itself. Through the winter months Whitby a lot of the time is totally empty of tourists.

Ah OK, so council could make facilities which are available at Canterbury, yes of course an expense, which can be clawed back over time by applying a reasonable charge?

Why is P&R no good during winter?

Exactly, it's called forward thinking, but the blinkers are super glued on.
But hopefully Barge and the FB team, might just open up their closed minds.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back