The truth about lithium batteries

DTDOG

Question regarding the temperture of the battery (and the charging of it). I can inderstand how a battery located under the bonnet can go below 0c, but If the battery is located inside the cab (undert the passenger seat in my case) or in a locker, would stuffing loads of insulation around the battery prevent it going below 0c especially as the battery is probably benefitting from the heat of the cab anyway?
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

Geeky Philip

Administrator
Question regarding the temperture of the battery (and the charging of it). I can inderstand how a battery located under the bonnet can go below 0c, but If the battery is located inside the cab (undert the passenger seat in my case) or in a locker, would stuffing loads of insulation around the battery prevent it going below 0c especially as the battery is probably benefitting from the heat of the cab anyway? Correct. It is unlikely that a motorhome used in the UK will have any issues. I still need to mention it. If people want to use the batteries in vehicles that are stored in the winter with solar charge enabled then they need to be aware. If we have some of the long cold periods where the temp does not rise for weeks that the batteries may cool to below freezing

DTDOG

Correct. It is unlikely that a motorhome used in the UK will have any issues. I still need to mention it. If people want to use the batteries in vehicles that are stored in the winter with solar charge enabled then they need to be aware. If we have some of the long cold periods where the temp does not rise for weeks that the batteries may cool to below freezing I tend to stick a little greenhouse heater (long tube thing, about 60w on mains) in my van during the winter to keep the temperature from dropping too much, so this would probably keep everything above the dreaded 0c.

ricc

i often carry a bottle of water in whatever vehicle im driving. in somerset they have frozen overnight on odd occasions. normal cars or vans not a motorhome , just parked on the drive . pain in the butt when it was glass bottles. now i use glass bottles in summer cos we dont want hot plastic leaching nasties into the water and plastic in winter cos of the freezing risk.

Fazerloz

Question regarding the temperture of the battery (and the charging of it). I can inderstand how a battery located under the bonnet can go below 0c, but If the battery is located inside the cab (undert the passenger seat in my case) or in a locker, would stuffing loads of insulation around the battery prevent it going below 0c especially as the battery is probably benefitting from the heat of the cab anyway? Don’t forget insulation works both ways once your batteries got cold it would take far longer for them to warm back up.

Fisherman

Thats the price of 14 lead acid ,i and got that long to live to get moneys worth . :unsure: Of course you have Trev. As Phills video showed there are plenty of other advantages also. To me it’s a no brainer When I need new batteries. Phill I have Varta LA 95 batteries and they quote up to 400 charges from 50% discharge. I do note “up to”. what’s your thoughts on that Phill.

campervanannie

This is a great video that I will keep and the next time my van breaks down and I am stuck at home I can sit in the garden with fire pit blazing listening to our leader talking about lithium batteries 😉😉😆😆 it will be like a virtual meet very therapeutic 😂

Nabsim

Thats the price of 14 lead acid ,i and got that long to live to get moneys worth . :unsure: You can get the TN Power brand 100ah battery for £500 Trev

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:247)

POI Admin, maingate, 1807truckman, Clunegapyears, harrow, dalspa, Tonybvi, izwozral, Martin P, Compo, sim, 5andy, colinmd, mike17, Edina, runnach, trevskoda, dij260, Forresbroons, Obanboy666, bartman, PawneePilot, ironman, argoose, R0B, Private, Elfin, helmit, 1 Cup, Weston, mikejay, MOJO, korky, rugbyken, Greytop, Okta, gaffer, mossypossy, Herman, TeamRienza, mikewroe, GeoffL, martinmartin, 2cv, hank, mid4did, iqofafish, hmssnake, robert webber, paulg525, Farman, Markd, Deneb, Poacher, Goggles, Annabella, molly 2, ARDAS, campervanannie, Gary1957, Moped, linkshouse, fiona68, phase3begins, Steve C, Chip, John and Janet, davep10000, Paulajc, Nemos Dad, caledonia, clarkpeacock, mark61, bilbao camper, Noddy, DTDOG, Victor, alcam, iampatman, Fisherman, ChrisInNotts, ATwin, groyne, Steve and Julie, mistericeman, oppy, pj650, Alf, tadpole58, chairman, AdriaTwin, ricc, Fazerloz, T18con, Debroos, carmel thornton, toasty, Greengrass, Nabsim, IJenk52, G1DOL, bilbo, specky4eyes, Yelto, dunfillin, Beemer, IanT, katv, AMcQ46, Tezza33, Ian and Cath, chippythewiz, Derekoak, Makzine, taximan, highlandron, GinaRon, V1nny, MarkJ, prioryi, n brown, Nidge, Mikael, Greenid, yorkslass, saxonborg, Alberto, mofish, RAW, QFour, flytim, factorydave04, gypsy john, st3v3, Bouydog, time4t, Telstar, stockcarman, Gerry Attrick, stonedaddy, Somerled, Jandb4, richardstubbs, Livotlout, FULL TIMER, Shockingdog, Andysm, Adam1984, kevlakes, Floydster, Coops1964, antiquesam, David Clarke, ajb70, peecee, Budgie, Haaamster, keith49, Veloman, Rod, Upfish, Moonraker 2, Nesting Zombie, tilly, eddyt, spigot, Alshymer, Norad60, gerrevelyn, Discokegs, Jo001, cornish hymer, Roger Haworth, witzend, installer, DaniVecchia, JVG, Touringtheworld, gypo, Glass man, Monkeybrand, MollsPhot, redhand, britcoms, Adria home, Amethyst, NeilWotto, DnK, tim m154, Bigshug, wildcampnewbie, JimandHazel, landoboguy, phillybarbour, alwaysared, RUBBLE, Papillon, guerdeval, Asterix, bigvern, yeoblade, winks, suneye, timatabsa, danny123, jagmanx, Chris Evans001, maureenandtom, Kontiki, Homenaway, PinkFlowerPetal, islander, Greenwayjay, ton27, s4x4c, watchthis, skippy, BusyLizzy, flav, bigstu99, Nomad, Lee, barryd, antiqueman, adriandp, Android, CHBrinton, Sharon the Cat, 271, DaveAdele, charlynch, Full Member, ITMA, Clummzie, quilkin, RodYork, HappyWanderer, john77, owlcat, jerrycan, martyndh, exwindsurfer, big tom, Kennyb, Malco, Mr B, Mick H,