The news, or lack of it

wildebus

This whole conversation theme of "The response is overblown. Look at what has actually happened" makes zero sense as it is not known for sure (but there are projections which look very scary) if it was allowed to run its course unchecked.

It reminds me of a near identical conversation theme around the "Y2K bug" (look it up if anyone reading this is not familiar with that).
Once the Year 2000 arrived, it was all "overblown hype. no planes crashed, no hospitals lost power, no this, no that. What a waste of time and scaremongering".
What tends to be forgotten is the amount of work that was carried out updating systems and recoding stuff to prevent the crashes happening. All that stuff in the background that joe public does not see - and has no reason to see.
But we are not 3 year old children! it is not a case that if you don't see it, it didn't happen! Although that is the approach of the US Government and look how their cases are growing extensively in many States now they have decided it is nothing to worry about if they just say that. And Trump apparently deciding if they slow down testing they slow down the spread.

wildebus

Spanish Flu is regularly used as a comparison when discussing Covid 19, but it was different in several ways as discussed Here. It is very unlikely that the current pandemic will follow a similar path, firstly because the virus itself is different in many ways but secondly because the environment in which it is operating is so different.
Let‘S hope the differences prevent it following such a path, or we’re only at the very beginning with far more deadly outcomes ahead.
There was an interesting Hearing in the US Congress today with the key medical players in the US.
The whole hearing was live on TV and can be seen on Youtube. Below is an intriging bit from Dr Tony Fauci, who has a great deal of experience with infections and pandemics and describes what has been learned about Coronavirus.
(the link is for the entire session, but I have set it to play from the bit described above. that bit only lasts a few minutes and worth a listen)

2cv

There was an interesting Hearing in the US Congress today with the key medical players in the US.
The whole hearing was live on TV and can be seen on Youtube. Below is an intriging bit from Dr Tony Fauci, who has a great deal of experience with infections and pandemics and describes what has been learned about Coronavirus.
(the link is for the entire session, but I have set it to play from the bit described above. that bit only lasts a few minutes and worth a listen)
If that clip were seen more widely I think that it could have a great effect on attitudes. This poster from Baltimore was very effective locally at the start of the pandemic.

695F2AC2-9477-433A-915F-9A423D203458.jpeg

wildebus

That is a good poster indeed.

I follow the US Politics and Politicians quite closely and although as a Country overall their handling of this pandemic is appalling, there are some bright spots and the daily briefings (now finished in fact) from NY State Governor Andrew Cuomo were excellent. No sugar coating, just a tell it how it is and what needs to be done style presentation. He is a man who can be respected as a leader.

As an aside, this is a good quote which shows who is who and their motives ....
"The difference between a politician and a statesman is that a politician thinks about the next election while the statesman think about the next generation.”

mariesnowgoose

That is a good poster indeed.

I follow the US Politics and Politicians quite closely and although as a Country overall their handling of this pandemic is appalling, there are some bright spots and the daily briefings (now finished in fact) from NY State Governor Andrew Cuomo were excellent. No sugar coating, just a tell it how it is and what needs to be done style presentation. He is a man who can be respected as a leader.

As an aside, this is a good quote which shows who is who and their motives ....
"The difference between a politician and a statesman is that a politician thinks about the next election while the statesman think about the next generation.”
.... and unfortunately for us in the UK, we are clean out of statesmen 😕 👎

Toffeecat

That well known govt mouthpiece the BBC have just reported breaking news about the UKs death rate being worse than the G7 and other comparible countries in Europe. Well had they checked worldometre, Euromomo, Sky TV, ONS, Daily Telegraph etc etc and even my own graphs its something that was reported on months ago. Still better late than never.

colinmd

That well known govt mouthpiece the BBC have just reported breaking news about the UKs death rate being worse than the G7 and other comparible countries in Europe. Well had they checked worldometre, Euromomo, Sky TV, ONS, Daily Telegraph etc etc and even my own graphs its something that was reported on months ago. Still better late than never.
The BBC have been regularly saying something like this, but there have been some new stats out.

sparrks

But surely those 400,000 odd covid deaths would have been loads higher without lockdown?
The 43500 UK death toll could have been a lot lower if they locked down the right (care homes)people, had adequate ventilation and some form of social distancing with compulsory mask use rather than go for the shut down of the economy. As I and others have mentioned the death toll from cancers and other diseases may well top Covid-19 deaths.

in h

But it's because everything has changed that the number is small. Cause and effect. ;)
Quite so.
Reminds me of rhe Year 2000 "swindle" where computer firms were supposed to have conned the public into paying for IT updates that weren't needed.
At the time I was working for an IT company.
We found and fixed a LOT of things that would have caused outages. Our customers were utilities supplying power, water and sewerage services.
The reason there was no problem was that we did a bloody good job, not that the job wasn't needed.
The population heeded the government's (tardy) advice and so covid-19 didn't take hold as badly as it would have done. Still left us the worst in Europe, though.
Eye test drives to Barnard Castle have since undermined the message, so the figures in a month's time may not be too good.

Peisinoe

There were people killed in Moss Side again at the weekend during a rave. This was the second incident where masses of people getting together to party ended in deaths. In both instances police chose to do nothing due to numbers. These numbers were low hundreds not thousands.
How can it be right to put all the resources Wiltshire did into stopping folks meeting for Solstice yet allow raves and demonstrations?
What someone needs to do when they see mass gatherings is that Tommy Robinson or Britain first are behind it then the police will be there with battens drawn. The police are too busy on their knees & seem to have lost all direction as to law & order.

trevskoda

What someone needs to do when they see mass gatherings is that Tommy Robinson or Britain first are behind it then the police will be there with battens drawn. The police are too busy on their knees & seem to have lost all direction as to law & order.
And how to police officers s/distace when all pilled into one car,or does the bug not effect them. :unsure:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:153)