The news, or lack of it

TeamRienza

Suddenly over the weekend the tragedy of deaths and the grief and sorrow caused by the loss of family and friends seems not to be news any longer.
I have just watched the ITV news. No mention of deaths or new cases, although Germany and Spanish holidays get coverage.
I had earlier (in vain) searched the BBC news website in some depth without finding any mention, nor indeed did my regional news cover local cases. Lots of old and often irrelevant ‘commentary’, no news which is poor for a channel that seemed to exclude any other news on its tv channels for the last few months.
I also looked, although not into every article, in The Times, The Telegraph and The Guardian. I expect the figures still to be headlining home news, with due deference to the Reading murders.
The only paper in this random sample of outlets to carry up to date information on deaths, and the quite alarming outbreak on Anglesey was The Daily Mail and even there the item was well down the page although it at least headlined the number of deaths so no searching required. No wonder the country is starting to behave like the ‘inconvenient incident’ is all but over. Maybe I am wrong but I still think people need to have the fear levels simmering in the background. Call me a cynic but it looks like the media have run their course on this and are more interested in football, holidays and hair cuts.

Davy

Nabsim

There were people killed in Moss Side again at the weekend during a rave. This was the second incident where masses of people getting together to party ended in deaths. In both instances police chose to do nothing due to numbers. These numbers were low hundreds not thousands.
How can it be right to put all the resources Wiltshire did into stopping folks meeting for Solstice yet allow raves and demonstrations?

Wooie1958

It never really got going / all over with isn`t it ?

You`d think that with the way all these tosspots around here in Penwortham, Preston have been carrying on.

Another massive party yesterday over the back from where i live that went on till after midnight with 2 gazebos set up in their garden.

A friend of mine who lives over there said the road was virtually gridlocked with all the extra cars, emergency vehicles would have had no chance of getting through.

jagmanx

Yep, the virus is still there, people are bored with it and the restrictions.
Sympathy for the dead and bereaved is diminishing.
The generel outpouring of support for NHS workers (and the like) is no longer newsworthy..
Instead we have overthetop reaction and rallies (for what are genuine ills in society.
BUT IMO those protesting are putting the lives of others at risk
People are bored hence raves and parties and generally stupid and selfish behaviour.
Signed M.O.G.

mark61

Heard on the radio that motoring insurance claims are high after the easing of lock down.

If only more people were sensible enough to go for a short drive to check their eyesight, I’m sure many of these accidents would have been avoided. 😂 :ROFLMAO:

Nabsim

Heard on the radio that motoring insurance claims are high after the easing of lock down.

If only more people were sensible enough to go for a short drive to check their eyesight, I’m sure many of these accidents would have been avoided. 😂 :ROFLMAO:
My car is leased and I received a cheque from the insurance week before last for £50 due to claims being so low in lockdown lol
Been some drunk drive accidents on radio over the weekend 😩

trixie88

would have been helpful if local newspaper had given some statistic for the town. other than number of people who died in the REGION

ie,, number of people who have been diagnosed with virus..............on a daily basis and also weekly basis
number of people who have died with virus " " " " "
number of people who have been hospitalized with virus"" " " " " " all including age groups and how many with
number of people who have recovered from it who were hospitalized ditto underlying med condition
same as above who were in care homes etc.

antiquesam

It never really got going / all over with isn`t it ?

You`d think that with the way all these tosspots around here in Penwortham, Preston have been carrying on.

Another massive party yesterday over the back from where i live that went on till after midnight with 2 gazebos set up in their garden.

A friend of mine who lives over there said the road was virtually gridlocked with all the extra cars, emergency vehicles would have had no chance of getting through.
Go on admit it. You're just upset you didn't get an invite. 😊

mariesnowgoose

would have been helpful if local newspaper had given some statistic for the town. other than number of people who died in the REGION

ie,, number of people who have been diagnosed with virus..............on a daily basis and also weekly basis
number of people who have died with virus " " " " "
number of people who have been hospitalized with virus"" " " " " " all including age groups and how many with
number of people who have recovered from it who were hospitalized ditto underlying med condition
same as above who were in care homes etc.
Trixie, I think all the statistical info will be available somewhere online, probably on the Office for National Statistics website?

Problem is that Professor David Speigelhalter is a proper down-to-earth guy who is a STATISTICIAN, not a 'scientist' or 'epidemiologist.
They interviewed him briefly on telly a few weeks back and he was making the comparisons that Bill (2cv) above talks about.
The risk of dying in the age ranges under 70 were minimal to virtually zero, so a lot of the fear and panicking that's been going on has been overblown.
Other than that he hasn't had much air time on main stream media, probably because what he said wasn't sensational or fear mongering enough for their liking.

Here you go - if you want to check the Covid stats for yourself, see this interactive website here:-

University of Cambridge - Winton Centre for Risk and Evidence Communication

wildebus

Looking at statistics makes me wonder if the destruction of the economy and disruption to everyone is actually in proportion to the threat posed.

View attachment 83655
but if the measures were NOT taken, chances are the numbers would be in the top 10 by now - and maybe top 5 and still growing (and significantly in fact)
A good comparison for this really is the Spanish Flu, where few measures were taken to prevent spread, tied up with little medical intervention possible. So look at the death rate for that (and remember to adjust for the world and national populations of the time).

Last edited:

wildebus

The risk of dying in the age ranges under 70 were minimal to virtually zero, so a lot of the fear and panicking that's been going on has been overblown.
So what should happen is everyone at risk due to health or age should lock themselves in and avoid everyone else - as those people freely wandering around could be healthy but carriers - until the virus is gone? which if taking that approach would be oh, the 12th of Never.
Nice way to treat the oldies and sick!

antiquesam

I'm still not sure about this thing about over 70's being in mortal danger. Are the statistics being warped by the unnatural number of deaths in care homes? If care home deaths were taken out of the formula would over 70's deaths be substantially different from that of others, taking normal percentage deaths of the elderly?
I read Matthew Parris this weekend spouting that the old should give up their triple lock because the country locked down to save them. Not that the extreme number of deaths was caused by over enthusiastic removals of patients to the care homes.

colinmd

I'm still not sure about this thing about over 70's being in mortal danger. Are the statistics being warped by the unnatural number of deaths in care homes? If care home deaths were taken out of the formula would over 70's deaths be substantially different from that of others, taking normal percentage deaths of the elderly?
I read Matthew Parris this weekend spouting that the old should give up their triple lock because the country locked down to save them. Not that the extreme number of deaths was caused by over enthusiastic removals of patients to the care homes.
There is likely to be some 'tweaking' of figures for next year as the wage increase over this years low figure might well be very high.

Tookey

I think the British public have/are doing quite well at acting in a responsible manner albeit the idiots, but whatever the scenario is they will be there. Took us decades to finally react to 'smoking will kill you and you are seriously damaging the health of others that breath your smoke' but the masses acted swiftly on advice in this case.

trevskoda

I think the British public have/are doing quite well at acting in a responsible manner albeit the idiots, but whatever the scenario is they will be there. Took us decades to finally react to 'smoking will kill you and you are seriously damaging the health of others that breath your smoke' but the masses acted swiftly on advice in this case.
Not round here ,it lasted about two weeks and thats was it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:153)