The end of win seven

trevskoda

Zorin 5 year release is out now and light will be along after this mth so june,my kids use both and happy with them,also my wife is using lite and finds it very easy to work on.

Last edited:

vindiboy

My wife's laptop is running Vista , just, she wont let me buy her a new one as she loves the one she has, she just uses it for watching craft stuff on U Tube, and downloading craft stuff, a few E Mails and that is about it, Vista is going down the pan and not supported , all this talk about Linus seems very complicated to a numpty like me and too much bother, so we will see how my wife feels when her loved Lappy finally dies hee hee.

trevskoda

My wife's laptop is running Vista , just, she wont let me buy her a new one as she loves the one she has, she just uses it for watching craft stuff on U Tube, and downloading craft stuff, a few E Mails and that is about it, Vista is going down the pan and not supported , all this talk about Linus seems very complicated to a numpty like me and too much bother, so we will see how my wife feels when her loved Lappy finally dies hee hee.
Depends on you pc 32 bit or 64 ,on boot up hit f2 for blue screen,then make sure you set for either cd or usb first boot.
Next slip you burnt linux disk into try and close,switch pc of and back on,in a few mins linux will run in live mode,then click top left on screen<install> it will then start doing so and ask where are you,GMT language and a pass word of your making and do you want to wipe old HD and do a full install,click yes and sit back for 15 mins and thats it,you if you like in menu click right on email icon and set to bottom bar along side firefox,you can also set icons to you liking and size if you like,takes about 10 mins to tune to you liking,all simple and you will never look back,just remember the new names for things libra office thunderbird mail,firefox web engine,vlc for music streaming etc,cheers.

vindiboy

Depends on you pc 32 bit or 64 ,on boot up hit f2 for blue screen,then make sure you set for either cd or usb first boot.
Next slip you burnt linux disk into try and close,switch pc of and back on,in a few mins linux will run in live mode,then click top left on screen<install> it will then start doing so and ask where are you,GMT language and a pass word of your making and do you want to wipe old HD and do a full install,click yes and sit back for 15 mins and thats it,you if you like in menu click right on email icon and set to bottom bar along side firefox,you can also set icons to you liking and size if you like,takes about 10 mins to tune to you liking,all simple and you will never look back,just remember the new names for things libra office thunderbird mail,firefox web engine,vlc for music streaming etc,cheers.
OK thanks for that if I do it and it goes pear shape, will you pay for my Funeral, her indoors will kill me hee hee.

GeoffL

OK thanks for that if I do it and it goes pear shape, will you pay for my Funeral, her indoors will kill me hee hee.
It shouldn't go pear-shaped, and if it does either someone has done something stupid (like formatting drive C: ) or the machine would have soon failed under Windows anyway. However, if you just want a quick play with Linux, on most machines you can press F12 to bring up a Boot menu and choose the volume containing the Live CD image. When you reboot, the computer will (unless you again press F12) boot the volume configured in BIOS as default (i.e. where Windows currently resides).

trevskoda

Just stick it on and be done,in thunderbird mail just type in email and pass word and all will come through,the barred setup is top right on screen then settings etc add account,you will get there second nature just like you first snog.
Try zorin first as a tad easy to do.

sparrks

Use Evolution email client much better than that awful Thunderbird (sorry Trevsoda)

trevskoda

Use Evolution email client much better than that awful Thunderbird (sorry Trevsoda)
Never tried it but will look at it,thunderbird is easy and well layed out to me,anyway its on the distro foe simplicity,worst thing for newbies is to over complicate linux but just keep it simple as is.

barryd

Take no notice of Trev! Do not mess with it if its working and you dont have to. You have offered to buy her a new one, save yourself a load of grief by not messing with something that must be older than Trev! :D It will break, I guarantee it!

Seriously if thats all she is using it for, leave well alone. Just make sure she doesnt do anything financial on it.

vindiboy

The problem is that all of you speak a different language to me, some of the words you have all quoted are completely alien to me and many others I suspect, computer speak has never interested me and that is why I am still a numpty, everyone who is computer literate are all the same well meaning but assume others understand every word but hey ho we do not, you are all very helpful and well meaning and I appreciate that but we all have differing skills and most of us are happy to just amble along, I will have a bash at the things you have all said when I can physk myself up sometime, please do not take this as a critism but just an observation of how it is. Many thanks to you all for your input.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)