The end of win seven

mjvw

You can use a program called unet boot in,this has to be put on a pen drive along with the distro,or you can use a usb dvd disc drive unit,some very old pc/laptops do not let you boot from usb. I dont use the pen method as i have not sorted it in my head yet but a mate of mine who is well up on these things did show me how to do once but my brain died soon after,must go through it again. Looks like information is on the website for USB drive install is provided https://zorinos.com/help/install-zorin-os/ Hope this helps.
An account upgrade is required to view more of this post.

trevskoda

Trev, you seem pretty computer savvy, so when you’ve attached files (photos) on here, could you press “thumbnail” or ”Full imagel please. Just makes the forum look better and saves me doing it for you. Thanks. Always do at my end. :unsure:

Reactions: 2cv

trevskoda

I hope what i posted will help folk bring back to life a old pc or just boot to there normal use pc. Those who now win 10 will be slow or dont want it can use zorin with ease,also handy on a second pc just incase your win pc hard drive goes into melt down,i now always back up all files as this happened to me a few years back and i lost picys of my kids growing up.:cry:

Nabsim

I don’t think I have a working Linux system since I retired. If I was at home rather than in the van all the time I probably would have at least one though. In the van I have my MacBook Pro which uses OSX which like Linux is based on Unix. I also carry a Surface Pro running Windows 10. I rarely use either of these now except if I need to work on websites or certain programs. I am usually on an iPad or my iPhone. The cloud works well for me on these devices it looks after storage and backup automatically. I only went with 32Gb on my phone because I used the cloud otherwise I would have needed to spend several hundred pound more for big storage. I have done the creating folders and saving to disk drives. I have NAS boxes at home for saving stuff and loads of drives I need to go through. i havent trued a Linux distro since I retired but I would have said at that time Ubuntu where the next best thing to Windows for a novice. Most distro’s will have a ‘live’ cd or usb version that runs...

maingate

I have a netbook with W7 on it but it must be corrupted because it works but very slowly. I might try zorin on it. Ironically I powered it up this afternoon as I prefer to use it for writing letters etc. It started downloading W7 updates, I will have to check to see if it is finished ... I told you it was slow. :)

trevskoda

I have a netbook with W7 on it but it must be corrupted because it works but very slowly. I might try zorin on it. Ironically I powered it up this afternoon as I prefer to use it for writing letters etc. It started downloading W7 updates, I will have to check to see if it is finished ... I told you it was slow. :) Dont plug it to the net because all the gangsters out there now know 7 is dead and no security,boot it to zorin ,promise you will love it,you can pick which things you require and load them,it comes with firefox and thunder bird,right click in menu and add to panel right side,then right click and drag over beside firfox on the left,you can also change the look of icons to you style, menu to left,at end righ is the extra tools games office cd rippers etc,go on force ones self.

trevskoda

I have upgraded my PC win7 home edition to win10 with the free upgrade. Still full of spyware and bugs,there was a time when everybody drove a ford until the japs came on the show. Did have a look at 10 but found it awkward to use and not set out well plus extremely slow for updates,mine takes a min or so at best,and i get them every day or so so keeping our sys up to date and as safe as can be,do have a look at zorin,you can run it live though it will be slow in that mode,but at least you can see without loading,bet you cannot do that with win.

maingate

Dont plug it to the net because all the gangsters out there now know 7 is dead and no security,boot it to zorin ,promise you will love it,you can pick which things you require and load them,it comes with firefox and thunder bird,right click in menu and add to panel right side,then right click and drag over beside firfox on the left,you can also change the look of icons to you style, menu to left,at end righ is the extra tools games office cd rippers etc,go on force ones self. I might just do that Trev because it is pretty useless, that's why I bought a new one. I think something in the operating system is corrupt as it is extremely slow to boot up and shut down. I tried to change over to W10 but it failed. That might be due to the crap mobile wifi I have. I have ordered an external aerial, if it improves matters I might have one more try at W10, otherwise zorin will get the gig. ;)

trevskoda

I might just do that Trev because it is pretty useless, that's why I bought a new one. I think something in the operating system is corrupt as it is extremely slow to boot up and shut down. I tried to change over to W10 but it failed. That might be due to the crap mobile wifi I have. I have ordered an external aerial, if it improves matters I might have one more try at W10, otherwise zorin will get the gig. ;) You require a live wifi to load all linux distros at first as updates and extra drivers from third parties are required,though you can prob still load and get later but i have never tried it before,good luck and if stuck give me a shout.

sparrks

Dont plug it to the net because all the gangsters out there now know 7 is dead and no security,boot it to zorin ,promise you will love it,you can pick which things you require and load them,it comes with firefox and thunder bird,right click in menu and add to panel right side,then right click and drag over beside firfox on the left,you can also change the look of icons to you style, menu to left,at end righ is the extra tools games office cd rippers etc,go on force ones self. Rather alarmist and misleading. Windows as far as I know received updates every 2nd Tuesday of the month so today would only be 4 days behind on any updates. Any Anti-virus software that you have installed will still continue to work and protect on existing threats. However those who use Win7 in particular for online banking should look at alternatives (If you were using W7 and an issue occurred I'm pretty sure that the bank would deny all responsabilty for it even if it was cleary there fault - so a bit of...

Nabsim

If it helps @sparrks have a look at Office 365, you can use all office apps including outlook in the cloud. I think you can still save whatever you want to the local machine though. Email and office apps were what stopped me getting everyone at work changed over to Linux. They wouldn’t even go for Google Apps. To be honest though if you are used to any of the MS Office apps there is nothing to touch them. Even Apple stuff seems crap in comparison

Nabsim

I think you can use outlook in the cloud as a free user, plus limited use on Word and Excel or you could

mariesnowgoose

If it helps @sparrks have a look at Office 365, you can use all office apps including outlook in the cloud. I think you can still save whatever you want to the local machine though. Email and office apps were what stopped me getting everyone at work changed over to Linux. They wouldn’t even go for Google Apps. To be honest though if you are used to any of the MS Office apps there is nothing to touch them. Even Apple stuff seems crap in comparison Have used nothing but Apple machines for about the last 10 years, but have always run the MS Office stuff on them. Prior to that I had always been used to MS Windows machines. I was brought up on MS Office, the products work fine for what I need day-to-day. Plus I don't have sufficient energy or interest in this sort of tech to waste precious time learning a brand new way of doing basic admin. I'd rather spend time working on the moho instead! 😁

ricc

after using puppy and zorin several years ago ive been playin with various versions of linux again. one laptop has an xp sticker on it this compaq has a win 7 sticker but is running 10 slowely. since xmas ive tried fresh downloads of mint and puppy and not persevered with either, just downloaded zorin 15 lite on the compaq , only looked at a couple of websites but they are opening much faster than on w10, over a wired connection, still runnin zorin from the cd. initial impressions are good my test webite today is the daily mail. its a clunker on most old laptops, pages are opening instantly on this setup, even wild camping is noticably faster....might see about a proper hard drive install in a mo.

mjvw

after using puppy and zorin several years ago ive been playin with various versions of linux again. one laptop has an xp sticker on it this compaq has a win 7 sticker but is running 10 slowely. since xmas ive tried fresh downloads of mint and puppy and not persevered with either, just downloaded zorin 15 lite on the compaq , only looked at a couple of websites but they are opening much faster than on w10, over a wired connection, still runnin zorin from the cd. initial impressions are good my test webite today is the daily mail. its a clunker on most old laptops, pages are opening instantly on this setup, even wild camping is noticably faster....might see about a proper hard drive install in a mo. And that's running from a live cd? Obviously it will be a lot quicker once installed on the HD so you could be onto a winner dual boot might be in order if you want to use the other 0S's

trevskoda

Cannot understand folk saying thunderbird is no good,its the almost best and easy to set up using the top right setup box,just enter your any email and pass word it then will go fetch and bring it to your left side pane. other folk saying they cannot get google apts,the whole idea is to get away from the spying . From what i read folk doing on here they must be trying to discover the way the universe works. There are loads of apts on zorin for every day use and as for ms or lebra i must have only ever used it about twice in my life,ABIWORD is what i use if typing a letter as i dont require much more,anyway i still think my d--k is bigger that yours. 😂 😂 😂

trevskoda

And that's running from a live cd? Obviously it will be a lot quicker once installed on the HD so you could be onto a winner dual boot might be in order if you want to use the other 0S's If its a back up or old laptop just boot zorin and forget win as it may slow you down,remember if putting pictures on linux you must tag them in lower case,so if taken from a camera it will be 001 & 002 etc,you must right click and rename as so ,johns bike a.jpg- johns bike b.jpg and then hit file top left and create a folder and name it as johns bikes,next drag and drop all his pics into it and then sent it to main picture folder,now it will be easy to fetch when required,just clic on picture folder and you folder will be in alfabetical order.

sparrks

Cannot understand folk saying thunderbird is no good,its the almost best and easy to set up using the top right setup box,just enter your any email and pass word it then will go fetch and bring it to your left side pane. Looks like it was written by a 10 year old in the 90's - a right eyesore, I've tried it on both Win and Linux, as the saying goes you can't polish a tur.... other folk saying they cannot get google apts,the whole idea is to get away from the spying . From what i read folk doing on here they must be trying to discover the way the universe works. There are loads of apts on zorin for every day use and as for ms or lebra i must have only ever used it about twice in my life,ABIWORD is what i use if typing a letter as i dont require much more,anyway i still think my d--k is bigger that yours. 😂 😂 😂 You are a bigger di@k? ;) Who am I to argue?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:156)

Fazerloz, TeamRienza, GreggBear, Obanboy666, mjvw, Robmac, oppy, maingate, delicagirl, Floydster, izwozral, saxonborg, StreetSleeper, jerrycan, SimonM, Goggles, wints, sparrks, Asterix, Martin P, POI Admin, Yelto, campervanannie, jeanette, mickymost, yorkieowl, Allen, channa, fiona68, Wooie1958, phase3begins, Edina, helen262, keith49, Trotter, 2cv, R0B, mistericeman, rugbyken, caledonia, harrow, Dezi, Nabsim, VandA, Steve and Julie, highlandron, n brown, ricc, Makzine, Nowego, ian1950, tadpole58, 1807truckman, molly 2, andyjanet, Okta, groyne, Victor, denmar, barryd, antiquesam, Alberto, QFour, reiverlad, toasty, royh28, clarkpeacock, ChrisInNotts, iampatman, Minisorella, kevlakes, Lewisparker, Mrs Mossy, Topmast, mid4did, Jandb4, Tookey, tripper, daygoboy, colinmd, Biggarmac, Pauljenny, Farman, Clunegapyears, sherry, Debroos, Mandoman, Neckender, winks, Bigshug, rustydog, The laird, lands43, REC, mariesnowgoose, Nidge, ton27, Sharpie, kensowerby, terrywolf, Silver sprinter, scampa, number14, londontavern, Alf, st3v3, Picket, Monkeybrand, helmit, Alshymer, Ladyjane, TheLizard, Winterskp, GeoffL, rabW, Alcfire, Northumborman, Ken, Tezza33, adriandp, Steveboy, Cass, windy52, ajb70, argoose, bartman, taximan, timatabsa, runnach, witzend, Princefari, loulou, DAVEY, robert webber, richardstubbs, lensworx, hextal, DaveP, Wully, billyhilly, RoadTrek Boy, neillking, Nilocck, Pirate, jonscase, Greengrass, Mick Jordan, Clewsy, pete99, ozbit, yorkscol, wildebus, silverweed, bluebullet47, NeilyG, lthoel2,