The end of win seven

trevskoda

For those of you who have come to the end of win 7 and have ether a 32 bit or 64 bit pc then this linux distro is for you,Zorin Lite.
I have tested it today and as it says on the box works and looks like win 7,good bit is i found it very easy to load set up and run,it has a graphical repository with lots of extra programes you can down load ,games office music players cd splitter cd burning and much much more,it also works with mobile data ,windows programes etc.
It can be run in a live mode on your pc to see if you like,then if you wish a screen prompt to do a full install which takes about 20 mins or less and this includes updates and third party software and drivers.
If you wish to try go to distrowatch dot com ,pick it out on right side then hit mirrors and direct dowload,then burn to disc,nect place new disc in drive close and switch pc off hold 5 sec and switch on again and the screen will boot in about 5 mins live,go from here if you like and follow the 5/6 prompts,good luck and have fun again without bugs.
Best bit is its a 5 year cycle so get on with it.
zorin a.png
zorin b.png

Last edited:

trevskoda

I tried the 32 bit and it allows you to download all the extras that you wish for free,very well set out distro i thought.

Nabsim

They should have been able to change to Windows 10 foc, Caz did all our old machines about a month ago, some I didn’t even know we still had lol

barryd

They should have been able to change to Windows 10 foc, Caz did all our old machines about a month ago, some I didn’t even know we still had lol
Ive yet to come across an old Windows 7 PC that Ive not been able to upgrade to Windows 10 Free of charge. The only thing I will say is ive also yet to come across one that I have been able to upgrade without doing a complete wipe and fresh install. The upgrade and keep all the apps and data option just never seems to work. Probably best done that way anyway. I just boot from the Windows 10 media creator USB with the latest version on and do a fresh install. Always seems to activate no bother. Could be that they are in the main Windows 7 Pro versions rather than home but so far no issues.

trevskoda

And who in there right mind would want windows with it full of bugs/spyware etc never mind the long updates,do try zorin as faster clean light and easy to understand ,5 year cycle with this one.
Tell me can you boot and get up to a running sys in 20 mins with win and then coustomise to your requirements,give a it a try and you can duel boot if frightened. :eek: 😂 (y)

Last edited:

barryd

And who in there right mind would want windows wit it full of bugs/spyware etc never mind the long updates,do try zorin as faster clean light and easy to understand ,5 year cycle with this one.
Tell me can you boot and get up to a running sys in 20 mins with win and then coustomise to your requirements,give a it a try and you can duel boot if frightened. :eek: 😂 (y)
You forget Trev, I made a living out of Microsoft pretty much! Nobody I know in business not a single person uses Linux. Ive tried various versions of it just to see what they were like and I never got on with any of them.

The fact remains that rightly or wrongly that MS and Windows dominates the PC market and probably always will. In some respects cloud computing could make Linux more attractive if people are prepared to use the online apps for Office 365 rather than the desktop versions but in my experience the only reason they go that way is cost. The desktop apps are way too popular and just better and of course they dont run on Linux.

ChrisInNotts

I upgraded our 3 PC's foc from Win 7 to Win 10 with no issues apart from one PC needing a manual update to the network card driver and some hassle re printer drivers (we run an ancient HP laser printer). PC speed after was similar and all settings etc were preserved so it was quite trauma free.

Keith

Nabsim

You forget Trev, I made a living out of Microsoft pretty much! Nobody I know in business not a single person uses Linux. Ive tried various versions of it just to see what they were like and I never got on with any of them.

The fact remains that rightly or wrongly that MS and Windows dominates the PC market and probably always will. In some respects cloud computing could make Linux more attractive if people are prepared to use the online apps for Office 365 rather than the desktop versions but in my experience the only reason they go that way is cost. The desktop apps are way too popular and just better and of course they dont run on Linux.
I tried to get everyone using the apps when I put the office in the cloud before I retired. Didn’t last very long and we purchased office 365 for everyone. Only exceptions were the service engineers who were using online apps when I left with their phones and netbooks. Wouldn’t be surprised if they are on Office 365 full now though.

I did have a few Linux servers as well as MS, mainly for monitoring though rather than staff using them.

trevskoda

Your out of touch as m/s stuff now works on linux,and whats wrong with lebra office,most folk only want to browse surf and email,second many banks use back end linux servers and win now have a linux distro under there belt and wright programs for linux,windows them selves say 10 is the last one before going open source.
I put this up for folk wanting a everyday distro to run on a old pc saving them money with something which will work 100%.
Many folk on here run linux and seem to do alright,who long ago did you try it and what distros did you use,the last few years it has came on leaps and bounds pushing win to the background.

trevskoda

Putting stuff on the cloud is fine as long as not important,its handy to get on mobile,but it could be hacked and i much rather keep my stuff on pens or back up pc.
For normal non biz folk i dont see a use for cloud,i have some picys on dropbox so i can get on phone when out and about and thats about it.

Nabsim

Putting stuff on the cloud is fine as long as not important,its handy to get on mobile,but it could be hacked and i much rather keep my stuff on pens or back up pc.
For normal non biz folk i dont see a use for cloud,i have some picys on dropbox so i can get on phone when out and about and thats about it.
I have 40gb pics in an Apple cloud Trev. Keep meaning to get them on my website storage but it will be a big job now :(

barryd

Your out of touch as m/s stuff now works on linux,and whats wrong with lebra office,most folk only want to browse surf and email,second many banks use back end linux servers and win now have a linux distro under there belt and wright programs for linux,windows them selves say 10 is the last one before going open source.
I put this up for folk wanting a everyday distro to run on a old pc saving them money with something which will work 100%.
Many folk on here run linux and seem to do alright,who long ago did you try it and what distros did you use,the last few years it has came on leaps and bounds pushing win to the background.
Does it? News to me. I thought the only way it would run was with some kind of Windows emulator but I stand to be corrected.

As for the cloud, its very much the way business is going now. Office 365 for business is cloud based and runs hosted exchange, one drive for business, Sharepoint etc. The advantage being you can have all the apps and data on your desktop but its also available on any device anywhere in the world but yes its open to hacking but so is anything thats connected to the internet cloud or not.

channa

As a casual user of pc,laptop,and smart phones my demands are quite simple, I want to turn on and go, I want software that is user friendly without having to spend hours delving and tweaking the operating system ,,it is great my machine searches for updates without my intervention leaving me to do what I want. I strongly suspect my demands are typical of a casual user.

Microsoft in the many guises of windows seems to do this ,and win10 certainly seems more advanced than my first pc that ran windows for workgroups. Linux on the other hand seems geeky, no obvious plug and play option without having to configure settings and resolve glitches . So Linux problem is image albeit may be unfounded. And I have never seen it in stores.

Image and perceptions are important in commerce and Microsoft seem to have the commercial edge.

If we use car makers as an analogy ford motor co are generally seen a a steady safe bet , Citroen as a competitor were always seen as a bit weird the reality was had a totally different conviction on what made engineering sense the one that bought them understood that at least in the old days. Today they are part of the crowd the hydropneumatic suspension set up no longer figures, commercial pressure has strangled good solid engineering practice so we in a big way have gone backwards...for example the current post of a Ducato front wheel blow out and wrestling to bring the car to a standstill , had it been a Id19 back in 1955 or later models it spawned the car carried on in a straight line pretty much guaranteed. Whether Linux will re shape it’s perception remains to be seen

trevskoda

Sorry andrew but the top linux distos are just plug and play and zorin is just so,yes you can tweak thinks like back ground colours font size colour and odds and ends and why should you not its your pc,linux is free so many shops cannot sell it but you can but pc/laptops with mint or other distros on it but why bother when you can boot to most pc/laptops.
What it also does is bring old slow pc up and running again where as those that dont know just buy a new unit.
Zorin is so easy to boot/play with and under stand and my 9 year old son got it in a few mins,it would do you just fine andrew for just about every thing you do,why not give it a spin then tell me if you like or not,no member of wildcamping will be harmed doing this .honest.

trevskoda

I have 40gb pics in an Apple cloud Trev. Keep meaning to get them on my website storage but it will be a big job now :(
Can you not put them in a folder and then just download to your pc or via e mail attachments,i could do this in under a min in linux ,biggest mistake i see in folks pc esp windows is not tagging picys and putting into folders,linux trains you to do things right.

folders.png

colinmd

Couple of things, I have an old HP Netbook, this cannot be updated to win10, I have thought about Linux on it, but it doesn't have a disc drive, it does have USB but not sure that it will boot from that.

trevskoda

Couple of things, I have an old HP Netbook, this cannot be updated to win10, I have thought about Linux on it, but it doesn't have a disc drive, it does have USB but not sure that it will boot from that.
You can use a program called unet boot in,this has to be put on a pen drive along with the distro,or you can use a usb dvd disc drive unit,some very old pc/laptops do not let you boot from usb.
I dont use the pen method as i have not sorted it in my head yet but a mate of mine who is well up on these things did show me how to do once but my brain died soon after,must go through it again.

2cv

Trev, you seem pretty computer savvy, so when you’ve attached files (photos) on here, could you press “thumbnail” or ”Full imagel please. Just makes the forum look better and saves me doing it for you. Thanks.

Pauljenny

And Me Trev, a nice little Asus netbook, No disc drive and minimal knowledge.
If some kind genius could only email it to us...
I'd make a donation to the websites charity... That would be the test of how it worked, after installation.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)