Teltonika RUT955 LTE Question

alwaysared

Has anyone got a Teltonika RUT955 LTE router to pass through a captive portal page on the WiFi has LAN? I know how to set up the wifi has LAN (Teltonika call it the station setting) and I can connect, run the scan and see all the available networks but if the network requires you to accept terms and conditions etc. by directing you to a captive portal page I can't see how I can get to accept those terms and conditions. Does anyone who uses this router know where this setting is? if it indeed exists :unsure:

Regards,
Del

I have the same router but unfortunately, I don't use this feature.
When I am next in my van I will have a play and see if I can work it out.

I have the same router but unfortunately, I don't use this feature.
When I am next in my van I will have a play and see if I can work it out.
That would be useful, but having just looked on the Teletonika forums it would seem that it doesn't support this feature :cry:

Regards,
Del

That would be useful, but having just looked on the Teletonika forums it would seem that it doesn't support this feature :cry:

Regards,
Del
However I have set up a guest network on my Ubiquiti AP at home I can scan and it found the guest network, I connected and it directed me to my captive portal page, this doesn't prove that it would work with a campsite or McD's network but I need to get 12v power to it so I can try it outside McD's down the road. The most disappointing thing with this router is my speedtests on 4G are much slower than if I use my Huwaei MiFi :confused: So I need to see if there are some settings that I've missed :unsure: in the LTE section.

Regards,
Del

However I have set up a guest network on my Ubiquiti AP at home I can scan and it found the guest network, I connected and it directed me to my captive portal page, this doesn't prove that it would work with a campsite or McD's network but I need to get 12v power to it so I can try it outside McD's down the road. The most disappointing thing with this router is my speedtests on 4G are much slower than if I use my Huwaei MiFi :confused: So I need to see if there are some settings that I've missed :unsure: in the LTE section.

Regards,
Del
I am not top dog with this but have some experience in the networking field
I would say yes there could well be some specific carrier settings missed for each Carrier SIM to get the maximum Network speed out of each provider. You would need to find these out from the Mobile Operator, should be available through general search
As far as a Router like this managing to effectively fill a captive portal page provided on another wifi network I would think it would not be possible but please correct me if I am wrong.

If managing to connect from your router to another wifi connection which would be public then I would think this could be quite high risk anyway if you are transmitting sensitive information unless you are making a VPN route through the two.

I am not top dog with this but have some experience in the networking field
I would say yes there could well be some specific carrier settings missed for each Carrier SIM to get the maximum Network speed out of each provider. You would need to find these out from the Mobile Operator, should be available through general search
As far as a Router like this managing to effectively fill a captive portal page provided on another wifi network I would think it would not be possible but please correct me if I am wrong.

If managing to connect from your router to another wifi connection which would be public then I would think this could be quite high risk anyway if you are transmitting sensitive information unless you are making a VPN route through the two.
My Mikrotik router allows it but it doesn't have provision for external antennas, hence looking for an alternative. Peplink routers do but they cost an arm and a leg :eek:

Regards,
Del

Regards,
Del
What kind of speeds are you getting? The most I got was 88mbs on EE,

Reactions: RAW
OK - Just a thought, as I understand it you have a router that is capable of working by routing to mobile networks and also in bridge mode to another wireless network that has a route to the internet ?
So if you were to integrate another device potentially into the VAN network to just allow for the Captive portal aspect then perhaps that would be a cheap way.
I did a few minutes research and found this https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr710n/
Your main router would need to have a way of failing over to the other device if it cannot find a route out.
Whether it would work or not is anyone's guess at the moment as I don't have experience with the devices you have or the TP-Link one I put above.

OK - Just a thought, as I understand it you have a router that is capable of working by routing to mobile networks and also in bridge mode to another wireless network that has a route to the internet ?
So if you were to integrate another device potentially into the VAN network to just allow for the Captive portal aspect then perhaps that would be a cheap way.
I did a few minutes research and found this https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr710n/
Your main router would need to have a way of failing over to the other device if it cannot find a route out.
Whether it would work or not is anyone's guess at the moment as I don't have experience with the devices you have or the TP-Link one I put above.
The main reason I'm trying to use this router is so that I can have just one device that does everything, I currently use a Ubiquiti Nano Station to scan for open networks which is then sent through t a MicroTik router for the wifi, I also have a Huwaei MiFi router that does the 4G stuff. So I have an external antenna that has wifi, 4G LTE and GPS built in so I thought I would just be able to connect and configure the Tektonika router to do evrything but it seeems I may not have the correct router but I will try to sort it out first.

Regards,
Del

Draytek had some nice routers that took SIM cards and allowed failover to be set up, we put them in a few customers with a lot of success

What does all this mean? I was lost after the first post but kept reading to see if I could make head nor tail. Keep going lads
Incidentally I go away in the van to get away from all the very important things that so easily complicate my life

What does all this mean? I was lost after the first post but kept reading to see if I could make head nor tail. Keep going lads
Incidentally I go away in the van to get away from all the very important things that so easily complicate my life
It is basically to find an easy way to connect to open wifi networks as you travel in your van.
Also a way of having the data connections via 4G and then easily switch to open wifi when available. Dunno if that makes sense?

For anyone who's interested, I've been doing some tests and the problem is the DNS, I went to local retail park and scanned and found a few open networks which all had captive portal pages and the Teltonika let all but one open and so I could accept the terms and conditions, the only one that it didn't pop up was KFC and after digging a bit deeper I realised that the ones that worked were all "Guest" networks, meaning they were set up through their own equipment but KFC were conneting to Sky's network so I changed my laptop's DNS server to Sky's and it all worked okay, I was then able to change the DNS server back to the Teltonika and every thing was fine, but it's a bit of a pain having to find the DNS server, changing it and then changing it back. I've now put the Teltonika away for a bit and will be trying a router with OpenWRT installed to see how that goes. I'll report back soon.

Regards,
Del

Just a quick update, my son seems to have sorted this out (pupil becomes teacher lol) and by disabling DNS Binding it appears to work on all the hotspots that I've tried so far, so coupled with the roof mounted MiMo antenna I may not need my home made motorhome wifi kit to search for available hotspots anymore, only time will tell. I only search when I've got no signal on the Three 4G sim anyway but it is also useful when I've got a good signal (or better) on my mobile phone I can set up the hotspot and connect using the Teltonika and my other devices don't have to change their connection as the Teletoniki uses the hotspot as it's WAN :cool:

Regards,
Del

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back