Taking food into EU/France.

barge1914

Can anyone give feedback on the rules for what you can take into France?
I’m pretty clear on the ban on meat and dairy, and on the fruit/veg you can take.
Where the various sources get a bit vague is on the other foodstuffs.
One document of French origin imposes a limit of 2kg for each of things like medicines, special dietary products, essential pet dietary foods, baby milk snd suchlike. But then there is a reference to a limit of 2kg on other foods/goods ‘not mentioned above’. Does that limit actually mean other things in the restricted categories only, or any foods? And is it 2kg for each type of food, or a total of 2kg for other foods…big difference.
2kg might get us a few jars of Indian curry paste and pickles, but doesn’t leave much for all the other ‘essentials’ not easily obtained in France for a three month trip.
So what has everyone been taking, and have any problems cropped up at the French or any other borders?

Can anyone give feedback on the rules for what you can take into France?
I’m pretty clear on the ban on meat and dairy, and on the fruit/veg you can take.
Where the various sources get a bit vague is on the other foodstuffs.
One document of French origin imposes a limit of 2kg for each of things like medicines, special dietary products, essential pet dietary foods, baby milk snd suchlike. But then there is a reference to a limit of 2kg on other foods/goods ‘not mentioned above’. Does that limit actually mean other things in the restricted categories only, or any foods? And is it 2kg for each type of food, or a total of 2kg for other foods…big difference.
2kg might get us a few jars of Indian curry paste and pickles, but doesn’t leave much for all the other ‘essentials’ not easily obtained in France for a three month trip.
So what has everyone been taking, and have any problems cropped up at the French or any other borders?
No checks made in October . Haven't heard of anyone having a problem .
French supermarkets are really good so don't see a problem anyway

Ditto, no checks in October on the Tunnel, but I seem to remember a post that checks were being carried out at Plymouth/Portsmouth later in the year. Can't help with the quantities.

We read it back to front and back again and it seems fish under 20kg is ok so plan to take oat milk, non dairy yogurt, dried veg and fish! Enough for our drive through to Portugal. We read it that the 2kg referred to other foods as for each type of non meat product mentioned above. But it really isn't clear. We specifically do not want to stop in France or Spain to shop so want to take what we need with us. Many report no checks at all but if you want to comply, it would be good if there was clarity:rolleyes:o_O
If we are wrong and, if it is checked, they can confiscate it. Have t-bags, marmite and Branston for expats living near us

We read it back to front and back again and it seems fish under 20kg is ok so plan to take oat milk, non dairy yogurt, dried veg and fish! Enough for our drive through to Portugal. We read it that the 2kg referred to other foods as for each type of non meat product mentioned above. But it really isn't clear. We specifically do not want to stop in France or Spain to shop so want to take what we need with us. Many report no checks at all but if you want to comply, it would be good if there was clarity:rolleyes:o_O
If we are wrong and, if it is checked, they can confiscate it. Have t-bags, marmite and Branston for expats living near us
Think you would have to be really unlucky for any of your foodstuffs being checked

That’s the question…2kg for each type of other foods, or total of all other foods.

So far, no one has provided any indication as to the source of their information.

https://www.douane.gouv.fr/sites/de...Brochures/Particuliers/voyagez-tranquille.pdf seems pretty clear to me. Pages 17 and 18 indicate that for the personal importation from non-EU countries (with the exception of Andorra and Switzerland) there is an allowance of 5kg (or 5 units) of non-citrus fruit and vegetables, including roots and rhizomes (with no earth attached) and of 15 sticks of celery. Page 20 indicates that the personal importation from non-EU countries (with the exception of a few listed countries) of meat, dairy and products derived therefrom is prohibited. There is a 20kg allowance in respect of fish. There is a 2kg allowance in respect of certain listed products, and the document clearly indicates to my mind that this is a total of 2kg across all such products (all of these products being listed within a single cell in the table, with the 2kg allowance being specified once only in the adjoining cell).

However, the following conflict and/or provide more detailed information:

In particular, the latter indicates that a health certificate is required for almost all fruits and vegetables (just a few exceptions).

Last edited:
Zzzzzzz
sleeping2.gif

I travelled by ferry from Calais to Dover on Saturday 29th January. I was alone in the motorhome with a fully loaded trailer of household goods. We had rented our UK house and were moving the contents to our French house. All the foodstuffs from the kitchen and fridge were now in the motorhome, along with a supply of bacon and cheese. Also haggis for our French friends!
I was sent into the Inspection Shed (random selection apparently, but always happens when towing the box trailer!). Was asked about ownership and weapons. Opened the trailer, which was packed to the top and impossible to see in - I'm sure their X-ray equipment could though. Then thanked and told to go. No questions about foodstuffs. The check is done for security by British authorities, the French authorities at Dover are there to check passports and covid tests, not Customs (my experience).
At Calais straight off ferry and onto the Autoroute, no stops or checks.
Our trip last May, via Dieppe/Newhaven, and in August via Calais/Dover were equally trouble free.
At worst be prepared to throw the contested goods away.
As for entry to UK, the wine/beer/spirit limits are still high, but not into Europe (Brexit freedoms). Never been stopped or questioned on arrival into the UK.
Hope this helps forum members.

I was on the on the DFDS ferry Newhaven to Dieppe and the Duane were pulling over a large number of motorhomes.
So you make your choice.

Reactions: REC

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back