Step and other electrical issues.

1977paul

Until recently my habitation step used to retract on engine start up and and all power to lights etc in living area would be cut, I assume this was correct as a means of not driving with an unwanted light on etc.
At present the step no longer retracts on start up and the lights etc remain on.....all obvious things have been checked, fuses relays....but all seem ok.
Anyone got ideas as to what's going on?
I've already damaged the step by driving with it down!
Peugeot Boxer Autocruise Starblazer, 2003.
Oh and 12v fridge operation seems dodgy but step/lights issue been happening long before fridge.
Thanks all.

Thanks Nabsim but that doesn't mean much to me I'm afraid! Would that be wiring into panel where water gauge etc are? There were some disconnected wires in there but connecting them up made no difference.

You really need to look at the manual/wiring diagram for your control unit. D+ is just the name given to a cable that only provides 12v when ignition is on or engine is running. There isn’t a one size fits all with manufacturers doing their own thing but it will always be d+. If you can identify from the manual which cable is d+ you can then check if it has power. It sounds like you will have a relay that switches the affected equipment on and off when the engine is started/stopped.
Mine has a small control unit hidden away that performs similar function and one of the soldered in relays has failed. Yours may be a conventional relay. First you need to check drawings/manual 👍

Could also be failure of the EMC relay. This relay is fitted by most manufacturers to cut off habitation electrics when the engine is started, and thus comply with the EU electromagnetic compatibility directive, which requires every bit of kit fitted to not be affected by nor interfere with the operation of anything else. With an EMC relay in place, they didn't need to test for interference between habitation and chassis electrics.

Loose earth wire under bonnet reattached and lights now go out on start up, can't test step at moment as awaiting new drive shaft. As for fridge, had a week away with no issues until return leg and once home found items in freezer box started thawing....lights and step were problems prior to fridge so wiring diagram from Wildebus will be useful

Had same issue. Eventually discovered a separate fuse next to the alarm tha sounds if step left down on start up.
replaced this fuse and all sorted. On my van this was next to batteries under drivers seat, but my van is an AutoSleeper

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back