Starter Motor wiring.

QFour

On very odd occasions i put the ignition key in and turn it and nothing happens. Been stuck a couple of times but then everything is OK. So can I wire a push switch between the solonoid and the battery input on the starter motor and when it won't start just press the button with the ignition on or does it have to do its thing with the ECU. I have changed the starter motor and it still does it.

Yes my old soda had a fault with the egn switch and I just wired a button on the dash to the solenoid, but first test the solenoid as its a common fault for them to die.

New starter motor but it was reluctant to start the other week but its been OK since. Belt and braces really.

I would advise caution. I don't know how modern your vehicle is QFour, but 'hot wiring' modern canbus systems can result in a very expensive lesson.
Gone are the days where you could just tape a replacement wire in and carry on.
Even something as simple as a flat battery can kill an airbag ECU as Ducato/Relay/Boxer owners will tell you when their airbag light stays on...
In your case, you've changed the starter and the fault persists, so you've proved its not that. Better to get the fault properly diagnosed and rectified.
Of course.if you have an old vehicle (pre canbus) the above may not apply...
One other common starter problem is a bad earth between the engine and the chassis. The simple check if it doesn't start, is to attach a jumper cable between the engine and the chassis. If it starts, check the earth straps!
Aldo

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back