Split Charge Relay Location ?

Wooie1958

I have a 2006 model Compass Castaway 500LL on the Peugeot Boxer X244 chassis with a Electronic Battery Charger CB516, 12v Distribution Board DS520 EX, PC-200 Control Panel and a generic ( no name ) RCB box.

Does anyone know where the Split Charge Relay is please ?

I think it may be built into the DS520 EX Distribution Board because i cannot find it anywhere and have traced the cables from the engine battery to the distribution board and then to the leisure batteries which i moved and re-cabled many years back and there`s no sign of it what so ever.

Whilst away last week on the Melrose CAMC site i noticed that the EHU symbol on the PC-200 panel had gone out but i knew the electric was on because we had a small mains powered electric heater running.

I checked the EHU RCB`s and they were fine and i also checked the RCB`s in the motorhome and they were fine as well so i switched off the CB516 charger which was still lit and back on again which put the EHU symbol back on the PC-200 panel so i thought it was one of those things as everything seemed to be working.

Strangely though the solar charge controller which is connected directly to the batteries showed no charge at all not even solar but as soon as i restarted CB516 charger it returned to normal showing full batteries.

All the fuses in the distribution board were and still are ok including the 3 amp split charge relay fuse.

Coincidentally just after this happened i saw the site warden going back to reception with the electrical tester so he`d obviously been to someone on a pitch who thought they`d had a problem with their electric supply.

On the way to the next site i had to stop quick and nip into the bathroom, i saw the lights were on but i`d left the engine running which used to disable all the 12v systems through the split charge system on engine start up.

I also noticed that the twin battery split charge symbol was not lit on the PC-200 control panel and the green 12v light was not on the fridge either even though the engine was running.

When the engine is running the PC-200 panel shows a full charge 14.4v going to the engine battery but nothing going to the leisure batteries which used to show 14.4v as well.

Can anyone help please ?

Last edited:
I don't know your van model, but if I am reading it right, even when you have the engine running all the habitation lights stay on, but that didn't used to happen?
I would suspect it is not maybe a relay which is the problem but the D+ signal from the alternator going to the control box, which would switch on the Split-charge AND tell the hab electrics to go off.
Is the Battery Light on on the dashboard? that could be an indication if it is an alternator fault. otherwise a cable falled off somewhere along the route (or maybe even a blown fuse outwith the distribution board)

All the habitation lights and the water pump etc. that are 12v used to be disabled when the engine was running, they now all work when the engine is running.

The battery light on the dashboard goes out as soon as the engine starts as per normal.

The twin battery symbol on the PC-200 panel is not showing when the engine runs, no voltage is showing as going to the leisure batteies and the fridge when switched to 12v now does not work when the engine is running.

The engine battery is showing as 14.4v when the engine is running on the PC-200 panel, that`s what`s throwing me.

Last edited:
Just been out and checked again, there`s 14.46v coming through to the D+ on the distribution board. All fuses, at least the ones i can find are ok (y)

well, sounds like the activation signal is getting lost somewhere internally? need someone who knows the distribution/control box I think :)

The best image i can find before i go and take a photo is this one of the inside, i`m wondering about the small black relay with the small round green sticker on it is which is right at the side of the D+ terminal.

It feels like it`s firmly soldered to the distribution board :(

DS 520 EK.jpg

On the CBE DS500 distribution board whole lot is soldered including the relays and there are 2 relays that click when powering up control panel not sure if that is any use or not

Often in my business of security installations we get faults within relay switches.
By their very nature they are prone to either not closing or opening when required to.
Sometimes you can clear the problem by powering down the whole circuit board for 30 seconds then power back up.
But even if this works there's a high risk it may occur again.
You may hear a click when the it switches over, if you don't hear it switching when switching over its either the relay, or the its not receiving a signal from the equipment connected to it.

Often in my business of security installations we get faults within relay switches.
By their very nature they are prone to either not closing or opening when required to.
Sometimes you can clear the problem by powering down the whole circuit board for 30 seconds then power back up.
But even if this works there's a high risk it may occur again.
You may hear a click when the it switches over, if you don't hear it switching when switching over its either the relay, or the its not receiving a signal from the equipment connected to it.

I`ll try that tomorrow after i get back from MOT, thank you.

MOT passed with flying colours and no advisories :D

Tried a full disconnect as per Fisherman`s post and it`s just the same so now i`m admitting defeat and calling in the experts :(

Mobile auto electrician who also does motorohme and caravan electrics coming thursday 29th (y)

I`ll report back with the findings and if he`s any good his name and contact details :unsure:

MOT passed with flying colours and no advisories :D

Tried a full disconnect as per Fisherman`s post and it`s just the same so now i`m admitting defeat and calling in the experts :(

Mobile auto electrician who also does motorohme and caravan electrics coming thursday 29th (y)

I`ll report back with the findings and if he`s any good his name and contact details :unsure:
I'd suggest leisure electronic repairs or apuljack engineering if you do get stuck - not sure the general auto electricians are clued up on these units

When you open the bonnet is there a black plastic cover in the centre and just below the windscreen? If so, there will be 2 or possibly 3 relays behind the cover. I know the Ducatos of that era were like that so possibly the Citroen and Peugeot were the same. After all, they all came out of the same Sevel factory.

When you open the bonnet is there a black plastic cover in the centre and just below the windscreen? If so, there will be 2 or possibly 3 relays behind the cover. I know the Ducatos of that era were like that so possibly the Citroen and Peugeot were the same. After all, they all came out of the same Sevel factory.

Hi Jim, that was the first place i looked and there is only 1 relay under that cover which is the Bitron one in the link below.

As you say they are basically the same vehicle, my Peugeot 2.8 HDi and the father-in-laws Fiat 2.8 JTD are indentical including wiring loom and stickers etc. etc.

I think this may be a case of " Compass / Eldiss / Explorer Group " strike again o_O

Some of the crazy, crazy things they`ve done when fitting out this motorhome that i`ve found over the years are beyond belief :mad:

I'd suggest leisure electronic repairs or apuljack engineering if you do get stuck - not sure the general auto electricians are clued up on these units

Thank you (y)

I`ve sent an email with a very detailed description of the problems to Apuljack Engineering and i`ll see what comes back from them.

I`ve still got the guy coming next thursday who says he`s confident he`ll be able to sort it but there`s no harm in having someone else in reserve :)

The relay you found under the bonnet, can you feel it click as the van starts up ? It might only require a push in replacement relay :) You could temporarily pinch one of the others from under the bonnet :unsure:

Last edited:
The relay you found under the bonnet, can you feel it click as the van starts up ? It might only require a push in replacement relay :) You could temporarily pinch one of the others from under the bonnet :unsure:

That one has nothing to do with the habitaion electrics and is working perfectly after i tested it.

Thank you (y)

I`ve sent an email with a very detailed description of the problems to Apuljack Engineering and i`ll see what comes back from them.

I`ve still got the guy coming next thursday who says he`s confident he`ll be able to sort it but there`s no harm in having someone else in reserve :)
David at leisure electronic repairs fixed my distribution board it is a one man operation and he is very helpful would almost certainly give some idea what to check free of charge - that is my personal view of the guy all through the problems i had

David at leisure electronic repairs fixed my distribution board it is a one man operation and he is very helpful would almost certainly give some idea what to check free of charge - that is my personal view of the guy all through the problems i had

Sadly their contact page is shut and they are not taking any further repairs for the time being :(

I`ll keep checking just in case it changes.

Thank you for taking the time to post this (y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back