Spare wheel.

Sammy Swift

Hi, does everyone carry a spare wheel in their motorhome? I'm over 70 and there is no way I could get the spare wheel from it's carrier under the van which is a Swift Bolero 630EW. I would be calling the breakdown service and they could take it to be repaired. Just wondering what you all think?

Spare under rear of mine, doubt very much I'd trust the jack Fiat supply (not 70 but wouldn't mind a go) and I'm not going to carry a real one.
Then there's those specially tightened wheel nuts.

I carry a spare on a carrier I installed under the rear floor. I believe, as said above by ‘Witzend, that some breakdown services won’t attend if a spare is not available.
I only carry the spare and a suitable sized socket for the nuts, but no jack, I’d expect the AA to use their own.

PLEASE check your policy wording if you have breakdown insurance some expect you to carry one,
ALSO if you go anywhere remote it is sensible to carry one. The tubes of good might work for a small hole but are quite useless for a anything bigger. ( I was in Sweden, over 100 miles from a garage, a van had a flat and could get a passers-by, me to help.)

I have mine on me bum which has to be lifted down, fitting is easy if you only lift the flat wheel of ground about 5mm and shoehorn the new one on with the aid of a tyre lever under it, lifting the flat up is hard but then I eat 2 bowls of porridge each morning.
sw  3.jpg

Yes we always carry a spare wheel on the Hymer under the bonnet and as we have a tag axle we carry a spare tyre in the roof box. I think its compulsory in some countries to have a spare.

I posted a few years ago, when I had a steel wheel develop a crack. I had a spare and I changed it myself and it took 3 days to get another wheel. Imagine no spare !
This was in Portugal!
Strength is not required to change a wheel, it is just a matter of thinking what you are doing.
The Fiat Jack will work, but you need a block and a base for supporting the jack
did you say a jock. y , i, jimmy get your kit on. sporon at the front ,ok.pj keep safe

Maybe someone that knows what they are talking about could advise about those weird and wonderful potions you can put in the tyre that can get you to the garage without the need for rescue

I carry a spare on a carrier I installed under the rear floor. I believe, as said above by ‘Witzend, that some breakdown services won’t attend if a spare is not available.
I only carry the spare and a suitable sized socket for the nuts, but no jack, I’d expect the AA to use their own.

We have a similar approach. I fitted a cradle and spare to our Bessacarr but our Auto trail comes with one. I'm not about to try and fit it myself especially in a dangerous situation on the side of a road but at least the recovery folks will have it available.

If it is impractical to carry a whole wheel another idea is to carry just a replacement tyre. Lighter and more easily stowed than a full wheel.

The one time I had a blow out without having a spare on board (hence my fitting a cradle etc), the RAC were great however they had to supply one that didn't match the others (different make and a van tyre not a camper tyre) and cost quite a few quid too.

Maybe someone that knows what they are talking about could advise about those weird and wonderful potions you can put in the tyre that can get you to the garage without the need for rescue
I've little knowledge of the get you home stuff. But have used this OKO sealant in all my vehicles for 30 yrs and have seen it work after pulling out a screw from a tyre also when inspecting a worn tyres after removal seen evidence of the blue sealant in holes in the tyres

Spare wheel / tyre for me kept in the garage.
Like most new motorhomes my Pilote came with the tyre sealant kit which I assume is for Weight / money saving. No intentions of changing the wheel myself in the event of a flat, I will call out recovery.

My previous van didn't come with a spare wheel just a can of gunk and a compressor (Hymer B660SL), which would be a waste of time in the event of a blowout, I ordered a wheel from my local Mercedes dealer and had a tyre fitted, carried it in the garage, I would still call the breakdown service in the event of a problem, no way am I changing a wheel at the side of a motorway.

Touch Wood never had a blowout but my Tyre Pal has given me several indications of punctures over the years and have replaced tyres at home and had repairs at local tyre depot, depending of the situation I would change a wheel myself Motor ways or busy roads I would rethink as required but in the remote countryside I would rather do it myself than wait for others.

The salesman told me it was to save weight, he wasn’t kidding, I soon realised we needed to up-plate. Didn’t like the ‘spare wheel in a can’ idea though, so bought a spare and the smallest trolly jack I could get away with. Watch out though, I needed to buy four wheel nuts because the spare is steel and the van came with alloy’s.
20BB57C2-2773-4754-990E-3232E9BDD945.jpeg
A88351D4-96FC-436B-BAE8-D9CD9B84B0FB.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back