Spare wheel

izwozral

Do you carry a spare wheel for your MH? If so, where do you carry it, in a cage underneath, mounted to the rear or roof, or in the garage? If you don't carry a spare, have you ever had a puncture, did you fix it, were you able to limp to a garage nearby or were you put on the back of a rescue truck?

Mine is on a winch under the body behind the rear wheels. Even if you can’t or don’t want to change a puncture yourself for me it is a better insurance policy than relying on a an aerosol can. You can always call your breakdown service to do a wheel change.

I carry a spare but never had to use it as I also carry a string plug kit and small compressor which I have used on several occasions. Punctures can be fixed without taking the wheel off or even jacking it up.

I carry a spare on a Fiat OEM wire winch under rear of van and have had to use it once when valve split. I also carry a string repair kit and my tyres have OKO sealant added

Twice we have had a puncture in NZ, called a tyre fitter for the first one, he took the spare from underneath and refused to fit it due to extensive steel cord showing and he condemned the flat, the tread was non-existent on the inside. Two days later got another flat in the middle of nowhere - we had no spare! Waved down a guy in a pick up, he tried his compressor with no luck, he took off the wheel, drove 40 miles to a garage, returned and fitted the repaired tyre and absolutely refused to accept any money. A true knight of the road!

sounds like you used the rent a wreck hire company in NZ

We used Adventurecampers, I certainly wouldn't recommend them. We bumped into a fellow Abveturecamper renter in Hamilton, his MH was new and he had a long list of faults, the worst being the microwave, it was secured with a screw either side and one screw had gone through to the inside!:eek:

Our spare is under the bonnet but we carry a spare tyre in the roof box as well because we have a hymer 694 tag axle so can’t bet it’s only one that gets a problem. That said so far we haven’t had a puncture.

Mine is on me bum,and have all tools,axle stand breaker bar and extensions,wood blocks and a 6 ton bottle jack.
I also have space under van for a second wheel,remember once you have used you spare you dont have one.

Attachments

• sw  3.jpg
    sw 3.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 88
I think for cars the breakdown people carry wheels but commercials your going to have to quickly find a tyre which will be at top price :eek:

I think for cars the breakdown people carry wheels but commercials your going to have to quickly find a tyre which will be at top price :eek:
No they dont as they would require a fleet of trailers full to the gills for all makes,they take you wheel to a tyre bay and get it fixed,that is one can be found,esp on a sunday

No they dont as they would require a fleet of trailers full to the gills for all makes,they take you wheel to a tyre bay and get it fixed,that is one can be found,esp on a sunday
Do the AA carry spare Tyres?
Flat tyre?
Our vans carry an innovative 'muti-fit' spare wheel, which fits up to 90% of cars. So even if you don't have a spare - or you have a double puncture - we can get you rolling.

They do here Trev, they have a spare that is adjustable to fit different hubs/makes. Strange thing it is but got me to a tyre place okay once

Ours is kept in the full height locker at the back Ral, of course it means unloading everything on top of it but there when needed

In the garage and so far, 🤞 , not needed it. Had a slow puncture which Norway fixed, but left the nail in, as we discovered by the time we got to Italy when it started to leak again.

In the garage and so far, 🤞 , not needed it. Had a slow puncture which Norway fixed, but left the nail in, as we discovered by the time we got to Italy when it started to leak again.
Do you not think you picked up the nail after the puncture was repaired? It would be difficult to fix the puncture with the nail still in.

Twice we have had a puncture in NZ, called a tyre fitter for the first one, he took the spare from underneath and refused to fit it due to extensive steel cord showing and he condemned the flat, the tread was non-existent on the inside. Two days later got another flat in the middle of nowhere - we had no spare! Waved down a guy in a pick up, he tried his compressor with no luck, he took off the wheel, drove 40 miles to a garage, returned and fitted the repaired tyre and absolutely refused to accept any money. A true knight of the road!

We had two complete blowouts in one day whilst in NZ, the original tyre blew out on front, and then the spare, this was before the days of mobile phones and in middle of nowhere, as it was a twin rear wheel truck we limped to a garage with only one wheel on one side.

Do the AA carry spare Tyres?
Flat tyre?
Our vans carry an innovative 'muti-fit' spare wheel, which fits up to 90% of cars. So even if you don't have a spare - or you have a double puncture - we can get you rolling.
Not here,i have tried a few on my car with same pcd,no one worked as they either hit the brake caliper or other sus parts,some new skodas can be fitted with any vw range of 5 stud wheels.
99% of the time the AA just lift you to nearest repair shop or take you home,which ever is the nearest.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back