SORN last few hours to recover April road tax

Moped

I have just remembered to declare my MH off the road and SORNed it to make sure I get April road tax and beyond refunded. Only a few hours left else you will end up paying for April

Some of us with new motorhomes may have paid over £2000 so well worth getting the money back.

i cant find my log book and dont think i can SORN it tonight as i dont have any of the tax reminder letters with the 16 digit number on it...... does anyone know if there is another way to SORN it in the next 3 hours !!! thanks

i cant find my log book and dont think i can SORN it tonight as i dont have any of the tax reminder letters with the 16 digit number on it...... does anyone know if there is another way to SORN it in the next 3 hours !!! thanks
Other ways to apply
By phone

DVLA vehicle service
Telephone: 0300 123 4321
24-hour service

Other ways to apply
By phone

DVLA vehicle service
Telephone: 0300 123 4321
24-hour service

thanks i tried that.. i need either the 16 digit number on renewal letter or the log book.... sod it... i guess i will have to sorn my other vehicle instead.....

I have just remembered to declare my MH off the road and SORNed it to make sure I get April road tax and beyond refunded. Only a few hours left else you will end up paying for April

Some of us with new motorhomes may have paid over £2000 so well worth getting the money back.
Don’t wish to disappoint you but you’ll only be refunded a proportion based on next years tax rate, sadly not a slice of the eye watering sum the took off you this year...ie a lot less.

I thought about and decided not to bother as we are still on a closed down CL site but if it all goes tits up we might have to move to my workshop and at £160 a year and only a couple of months left on it it's not worth the bother really for us but a good reminder for those paying extortionate rates.

If you know how to get your money back do please say. As far as I can see we are stuck in that small window of time that the new regime existed[ /QUOTE]
I didn,t realise anyone got to pay that as wasn,t ever passed do you see you.ve paid it to tax dept or is dealer holding it ?

Last edited:
I sorn my MH from 1st November until 30th April every year. I pay for a 6 months car tax and it works perfectly for me, that means it costs me £125 per annum for using my MH although I use it for 6 months in the year.

My MOT run out on the 30th of March. I do it early so if it needs anything doing it gives me a bit of time. So on the 23 of March I had it serviced and MOT done. The next day after it was done which it passed fine it was announced MOTs were being suspended for six months. Ooooch its now all legal sat in the garden but can't use it to go anywhere. At least its got some toilet paper inside if we run out in the house.
.... Tom ....

They say,
Coronavirus (COVID-19) update
MOT extensions are being processed in date order.
This means that the MOT expiry date for your car, van or motorcycle may not yet be showing the 6 month extension.
Thanks says this in link -
Check your MOT expiry date has been extended
Your MOT expiry date will usually be updated on the day your MOT is due to expire. However, it might be done up to a few days before

If you know how to get your money back do please say. As far as I can see we are stuck in that small window of time that the new regime existed...from the refund we got they clearly intend to continue charging us at the increased rate because on our logbook we are classed as M1 Car.
Me too. I asked DVLA straight away and they said there's no way to re-register a vehicle in a different class. I also asked the two clubs and they weren't very positive either. It seem like those of us who have MHs first registered between last September and the middle of March are going to be stuck with vehicles that won't be competitive on the second hand market until we're out of the five years, and even then we could be subject to increases that MHs registered in the old way are not.

Under normal times it might be worth trying to get some MPs insterested in a campaign to make this change retrospective, but I suspect that they all (quite rightly!) have more important things to worry about at the moment...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back