Something to Delay a Generation

Ed on Toast

In these current dull and overcast days, my solar is not upto much and as i am pretty static for the foreseeable, i have invested in a 1kw Hyundai suitcase generator.

Now is it all Fine and Dandy but as my charger moves from Bulk Charge to Absorption Charge, it does seem to be more than a little Overkill.

Petrol driven Sledge Hammer and Walnut spring to mind.

So, what do you learned folk think....Is there something (a device or Witchcraft) that i can charge from the said generator, while the generator is concurrently Bulk Charging my 4 x AGM 110kwh battery bank.

THEN when i switch of the said generator, i can use the device to provide the trickle needed to take the batteries up to a higher percentage of fill, for the good few hours needed.

Do alcohol was consumed in the writing of this thread, so please be gentle in your replies.

Many thanks

🙂👍

one way is to use the genny to pump water into a massive header tank , then use the hydraulic pressure stored to run another genny, like a car alternator . getting the tank onto the roof of the moho might be a problem mind

trouble is , you need energy storage and there's not that many . more batteries of course ,a large spring or rubber band wound up , a large weight lifted to a height , blow up a big balloon ,or a perpetual motion machine

This is just hypothetical but would a lithium battery and a smart b2b charger do what you suggest? Of course changing your whole bank to the equivalent lithium would be best.

How do you heat your abode ,keeping warm is top priority ,if you jenny works for you all well

I heat my abode with a wood/multifuel stove.

The question centres around the the generator creating loads more power than the adsorption charge needed.

I just wondered if there was something that could charge, hold and slowly release it, to provide that trickle over a longer period. As this would be needed in that charge phase.

👍

Lithium being different chemistry is basically only bulk charged. The tiny absorbtion phase can be ignored with no loss of battery life.
You might need only 220amphour of lithium to replace 440ah of amg

Interesting Derek,

But i have just bought these AGM's and so stuck with them for the time being but i will make a note, for the future, of your quality reply.
Thanks

👍

If you get the genny on early enough, can the solar cope with the absorption phase?

Hi Steve,

Solar just isn't cutting much of late, I am a Northerner, remember, lol

But i will experiment with earlier generator use, you might have something there.

I hope your well

👍

Use the excess power from the gen to run a small electric fan fire, they can be got from 500w up, you could also heat water to wash and fill the sink which will release heat back into m/home.

if your moored up on your boat can’t you generate power through the water flow or are you in a sheltered marina ? knowing how cold a boat gets is there anything like a storage rad you can put the excess. power into

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back