Solar Panel Fitting

QFour

Not got a lot of room on the roof for large panel and don't want to put one right at the front so found one on Photonic Universe that is aluminum backed without a frame and 350mm wide 80W output. They suggest Sikaflex to hold it down but wondering if I could use the double sided foam tape that is 3mm thick to give an air gap. They suggested Sikaflex in thin stripes so you leave an air gap. Just looking for the best simple solution. Double sided tape would mean I could wet the roof put the panel on and move it into position and then let it dry. This works with decals which have similar glue. Another thought was hardwood slats with sikaflex to stick them to the roof and panel. Any suggestions welcome.

I don’t know if I would trust tape.
What I would do is use something for each corner and stick these on to the underside of the panel with sikaflex. Then when they are secure stick the panel to the roof with sikaflex.
I would clean the parts of the roof that will make contact with the solar panel.
Once secure with sikaflex it’s going nowhere.

I think you are talking about semi flexible. Which is what I got from photonic U. I used thin butyl tape like I used to fit my midi skylight. Stuck intermittent strips about 100 to 150 apart longitudinally. Butyl never sets so you can lift it. I put the strips ontop of the roof ribs so I have 10mm airgap. I think that makes a massive difference to longevity. Then I used stixall down the longitudinal edges. I trust this more than butyl against wind. It sets but at the edges I can get a knife in to cut it if needed. Then because I dont trust enough i put 6 screws in the front edge and 4 at the back all through stixall. I have 2x 80 watt panels.
Becausd they are semiflexible they fit well to the front curved roof . Semiflexible must flex a minimum and into a bit of a cylinder or bit of cone. So my butyl is many layers in parts to change the roof from its complicatec shape to more what is required.

For flexible panels I go for either the photonic universe ones with the self-adhesive sheet pre-attached (not available under 150W though), or use strips of 3M VHB tape. With the right prep, that is not going to depart from the roof!

For flexible panels I go for either the photonic universe ones with the self-adhesive sheet pre-attached (not available under 150W though), or use strips of 3M VHB tape. With the right prep, that is not going to depart from the roof!
Thanks for that. I found a youtube video but was not sure if it would hold it down. Certainly don't want to upset the warrantee by drilling holes in the roof. I got Southdowns to fit the roof gland and I now know where all the cables are.

This is the approach I used with a pair of Lensum Panels....

Panel Underneath
by David, on Flickr
Tape to go onto the Ribs, plus a thin strip of acrylic taped top and bottom between the ribs for extra support (probably not really needed), and at the front two more strips across to stop air going underneath and creating lift. These panels are "flexible" but the backing is very rigid and the instructions give a maximum 10 degree flex (so more like "semi-rigid" really?). This setup certainly fixed them down well - they would't move from literally the second I dropped the panel down, let alone after the 24 hour curing time. And still working fine 2 years on (fitted 1st July 2019).

This is the approach I used with a pair of Lensum
Tape to go onto the Ribs, plus a thin strip of acrylic taped top and bottom between the ribs for extra support (probably not really needed), and at the front two more strips across to stop air going underneath and creating lift. These panels are "flexible" but the backing is very rigid and the instructions give a maximum 10 degree flex (so more like "semi-rigid" really?). This setup certainly fixed them down well - they would't move from literally the second I dropped the panel down, let alone after the 24 hour curing time. And still working fine 2 years on (fitted 1st July 2019).
Thanks for the info and picture. Got an idea how to do it now. Been measuring today and think the best approach will be three 50w panels in series and Victron controller.

@wildebus

Sorted the panels and they look really nice. Took a bit of extra wire but wired in parallel. 21v from paneyou If I cover 2 up I still get 21v. Just got a couple of other wires to connect and its done. Panels are mounted on 3 x 12mm square aluminum tubes which were bonded to the roof using Sikaflex. The panel is pop riveted along the edges and Sikaflex for the middle. 12mm air gap should help keep the panels a bit cooler. If anyone is interested the box type structure is the fridge vent. The little white popup is the SOG toilet vent and a DAB ariel. Somewhere there is also a TV ariel. We get a really good picture.

The guy opposite doesn't like gardening. He started to build a double garage and he was going to use the garden as a builders yard but the Council would not let him put a road over the allotment. So under that lot is a double garage.

20210624_184145(0).jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back