smoke alarm alert by Which

Wonder how many people test their alarms before they fit them?

This thread reminds me I need to buy one for the Van. I tend to get a recognisable brand I have to say.

No need to worry with the two we have in the house as the fire brigade fitted them free, we just test them occasionally, and when they beep for low battery we get them to come out and change/check them also for free.

Last year in France i stupidly left a roll of kitchen towel next to my gas hob with the kitchen window open while i chatted to chums outside..... the wind changed direction and before we knew it my alarm was bleeping because the towel was on fire..... i ran back in grabbed it and threw it out of the window !!! almost hit the chap i'd been talk to .. phew.... he kindly removed the burnt bits and handed it back to me .... never been so glad for an alarm in my life..... and have never left the van since with the gas ring on..

As well as an over-enthusiastic fridge that freezes stuff outside the freezer if I don't turn it down low enough, I also have an over-enthusiastic fire-alarm in the van. The second I put sausages or bacon in the pan, off it goes. Everyone's a critic... :dance:

Another example of "You get what you pay for" I reckon.

We stick with the 10year sealed units for home and branded smoke and CO alarms in the van.

Cheers

H

That's not bad Jenny, mine went off if the kettle boiled.

I test mine regularly,giving it the burnt toast test most mornings.Also as important is a CO(carbon monoxide) detector.similar price to a smoke detector.I got mine from B&Q.

I don't have a smoke alarm as I can't envisage a situation in my van where I'd need one.

I have a CO alarm though, and if the wind blows a certain way and makes my water heater flames waft around a little too much it goes off. Bit of a pain when I'm in the shower as I can lose hot water, have an alarm going off and I need to sort it all out while buck naked.

I don't have a smoke alarm as I can't envisage a situation in my van where I'd need one.

I cannot believe you actually posted that.
I spent over 30 years in the fire service and witnessed the results of such poor judgement.

Small fires can develop in hidden parts of Motorhomes involving electrics, and due to the small volume within a Motorhome smoke can quickly reach toxic levels. If you are sleeping you may never wake up succumbing to the toxic fumes.
Most people die from inhaling such fumes in fires. Also carbon monoxide detectors may not detect these fumes or do so when it is to late.

You can buy a reliable smoke detector for the price of two coffees, I simply cannot understand anyone not having one.

Also it’s important that a reliable means of fighting a fire in its early stages is carried on board.

The most common type supplied are dry powder which were actually designed to fight metal fires (magnesium) during WW2 by the RAF. Set one of these of and you will make a hell of a mess in your pristine mh.
A wet chemical extinguisher supported by a small fire blanket make for the perfect means of extinguishing a small fire in a mh. The dry powder extinguisher would be excellent for fires in the engine compartment.

But remember never tackle a fire that has taken hold, get out and call the fire service.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back