Smart alternators

Eric Eke

Can you please tell me from this photo of my battery if its a smart alternator fitted
My motorhome is a magestic 285 Peugeot 2017 euro 6 I want to fit a b2b
IMG_20210115_154427.jpg

Last edited:
I asked myself the same question.? So I got myself a cheap plug in volt meter of ebay ,plugged into lighter socket the volts ranged from 12.0 to 14 volts yes it was a smart alternator, i have a newer 2.2 peugote that stays around 14 volts so not a smart alternator or is it .? As I understand a smart alternator output is controlled By the engine management system , so my question is can the charging rate be remapped replacing the smart charger settings .I have seen on the Internet that it can , any comments ??. The VW scam springs to mind ,.some btb are designed to overcome the smart charging issues.

Last edited:
If you zoom in on the negative pole of my battery what is a relay looking plug whit 14v and a switch like diagram.?
IMG_20210116_083043.jpg

We have a 2017 Fiat Ducato coach built motorhome it does not have a smart alternator.
We don't have the relay on the negative terminal or the box under the +ve lead (bottom right, top image).

Is it a smart split charge relay?
I think the box bottom right is to do with tow bar electrics
I parked up 1 winter below - 5 no hook up water heaters kept flating the battery's ran enging for 1hr and leisure batteries lasted 5min
Since then elldis fitted a water heater switch and relay by the fuse box
So I don't have a split charge relay that I know of very low leisure battery charging and I have owned from new its confusing

That box of tricks will charge at 14v ish when stationary . When driving keep meter on and the voltage drops to 12.5 ish.
Thats how my sprinter works as cigarette light output.
So box on earth terminal is smart

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back