Small motorbike

Winger

They do not accept photocopy proof. A police motorcycle instructor had his left off and even with all their copies he had to re-do the test.
So my thinking is if it has to go back for any reason tell them you have lost it. Then if anything is amiss when you get it back you still have the original as proof. But no doubt it will come at a price.
That’s an excellent idea, then they cannot argue against what it says on you old lost and found licence

mjvw

@Robmac DAS good choice you will enjoy the training I'm sure, just take your car driver/motorhome head off and put the motorcyclist hat on, defensive riding techniques will be instilled during DAS and CBT, really looking forward to hearing about your training adventure.(y)(y)(y)(y)

Robmac

@Robmac DAS good choice you will enjoy the training I'm sure, just take your car driver/motorhome head off and put the motorcyclist hat on, defensive riding techniques will be instilled during DAS and CBT, really looking forward to hearing about your training adventure.(y)(y)(y)(y)
Thanks MJ.

I'm looking forward to it although I will be nervous about the DAS test. I've no qualms about riding a bike again I don't think that will be a problem at all, but I hate test situations where there is a lot at stake! (a lot of cash for the retake in this case!).

Julie would still rather I got a 125 even if I pass the test just to get some experience for a year but she's left it to me and I reckon in some respects the 500 would be a safer bet. It probably wouldn't be much different size and weight wise to my old KH250 although a lot faster top end, but I'm not really interested in breaking any speed limits at my age!

mjvw

Thanks MJ.

I'm looking forward to it although I will be nervous about the DAS test. I've no qualms about riding a bike again I don't think that will be a problem at all, but I hate test situations where there is a lot at stake! (a lot of cash for the retake in this case!).

Julie would still rather I got a 125 even if I pass the test just to get some experience for a year but she's left it to me and I reckon in some respects the 500 would be a safer bet. It probably wouldn't be much different size and weight wise to my old KH250 although a lot faster top end, but I'm not really interested in breaking any speed limits at my age!
From my former MC training day i would go for a 500cc sometime that extra bit of poke does help if used sensibly, we used er-500 Kawasaki as DAS bikes all our trainees liked them. It does make sense to get a second hand older/cheaper bike for the first year or so it's seemed that most of the accidents/mishaps that damage the bike happen during the first year.

Scotia

Thanks MJ.

I would agree with a larger capacity bike, I think riding a 125 could get you into trouble especially riding along with faster moving traffic at the end of the day you are in control of what speed the bike travels at. What cc are you limited to after passing your test or is it a BHP restriction? Look at the light weight series 650 cc twin they can be made to go at a reasonable speed at a later date.

mjvw

I would agree with a larger capacity bike, I think riding a 125 could get you into trouble especially riding along with faster moving traffic at the end of the day you are in control of what speed the bike travels at. What cc are you limited to after passing your test or is it a BHP restriction? Look at the light weight series 650 cc twin they can be made to go at a reasonable speed at a later date.
Really good point about faster moving traffic, unfortunately a smaller cc bike the rider feels under powered on duel carriage way etc and some irresponsible drivers use this and intimidate the motorcyclist (tailgating/pushing on) so they end up driving to far over too the left. I always encouraged my trainees to hold their own but avoid confrontation and ensure they don,t become the meat in the sandwich.

peter palance

some thing like a b.s.a 650, on no. i like it. back to the fut-cher. heaven im in heaven. bring it on. not up there. that only for the goodies. im bad on no bad.ok pj.
thank-ee kindly. arr. im gone.

Robmac

If I pass the DAS I can ride any bike Sam, no limits. But I don't particularly want a real heavyweight at my age, so 650 light wouldn't be a bad choice.

Scotia

If I pass the DAS I can ride any bike Sam, no limits. But I don't particularly want a real heavyweight at my age, so 650 light wouldn't be a bad choice.
Just pulled out my MONSTER this morning so to speak!🤣
I picked up an alloy swing arm a year or so ago that i forgot about, another find while clearing up. Not the lightest of bikes or fastest but a good wee run around and only 750cc.
20200519_101334.jpg
20200519_101355.jpg
20200519_101404.jpg

peter palance

Robmac

Spoke to the people at the test centre yesterday and I can do the CBT when I like now as long as I provide my own clothing and helmet I can use their bike.

I have ordered a helmet and gloves but they mentioned suitable footwear. I don't like the sound of riding in boots as I've always thought they make brake control a bit heavy? Are modern boots comfortable and light?

harrow

Spoke to the people at the test centre yesterday and I can do the CBT when I like now as long as I provide my own clothing and helmet I can use their bike.

I have ordered a helmet and gloves but they mentioned suitable footwear. I don't like the sound of riding in boots as I've always thought they make brake control a bit heavy? Are modern boots comfortable and light?
Not so much the brakes but you will want to be able to feel the gear change lever, new bikes could have linked brakes and ABS :)

You must be wearing boots or strong shoes in the garden ?

Robmac

Not so much the brakes but you will want to be able to feel the gear change lever, new bikes could have linked brakes and ABS :)

You must be wearing boots or strong shoes in the garden ?
No, usually an old pair of trainers or even slippers in this weather!

Yes, 125's have linked brakes and anything above usually have ABS. I'm looking at the Alpinestars Sektor boots at the moment, they seem lightweight and have gear selector pads and the soles don't seem too thick.

Given the choice, I would just wear trainers, but I don't think that would impress the examiners!

Fazerloz

No, usually an old pair of trainers or even slippers in this weather!

Yes, 125's have linked brakes and anything above usually have ABS. I'm looking at the Alpinestars Sektor boots at the moment, they seem lightweight and have gear selector pads and the soles don't seem too thick.

Given the choice, I would just wear trainers, but I don't think that would impress the examiners!
I have a pair of these for general use . They are waterpoof and comfy for walking about everyday rather than out and out bike boots. Bonus with the white soles they will double up as deck shoes on the new boat. (y) ;)

Robmac

I have a pair of these for general use . They are waterpoof and comfy for walking about everyday rather than out and out bike boots. Bonus with the white soles they will double up as deck shoes on the new boat. (y) ;)
I've just ordered these from the people you recommended;

They seem to get good reviews for a budget pair of boots.

I also ordered a helmet from them yesterday after a quick measurement of my noggin, (I know you should try one on but you can't at the moment and it will arrive quickly and allow me to do my CBT quicker, and if it ain't comfy it will do as a spare at the price).

Thanks for the recommendation!

Fazerloz

I've just ordered these from the people you recommended;

They seem to get good reviews for a budget pair of boots.

I also ordered a helmet from them yesterday after a quick measurement of my noggin, (I know you should try one on but you can't at the moment and it will arrive quickly and allow me to do my CBT quicker, and if it ain't comfy it will do as a spare at the price).

Thanks for the recommendation!
Seems like it's all systems go . I am sure you will not regret it. So many say they want to do it but fall by the wayside and never do it. (y)

Robmac

My boots arrived this morning from J&S.

Good fit, very comfortable and seem to be good quality. Overall, I'm very pleased with them at the price. (y)

barryd

Thanks MJ.

Careful Rob. I reckon modern bikes are a lot faster than the old days. I remember passing my test in 84 I think when I Was 18 and going from a CB100 to a CX500 and the CX was considered a bit of a plodder but it felt like a rocket ship to me after the 100. I went and test drove a Bandit and a Phazer a few years ago when I had some mad idea of getting a bigger bike and trailer to go off in the van with to tour the Alps etc. Of course I had to open the taps on the A19 to see what it would do on the test ride and nearly left my arse behind. :D Mrs D gave up and refused to go on the second one and was relieved when I binned the idea. If you want Julie on board maybe slowly slowly catch the monkey or summat like that.

Im thinking of getting a KTM Duke 390 just to fly around the Dales on but Mrs D aint happy about it and I do have to wonder if ill kill myself on it but having done some serious hills on the old Vision two up the other day where I could have got off and pushed its still niggling away at me to get out and get one.

trevskoda

Short boots will be first thing of should a nasty happen,buy proper full length boots,do have a look at the kwacker w650 nice nice bike.