Small motorbike

mjvw

Probably won't use it with the m/home Barry. I reckon with the 105kg weight and the leverage effect on the back of the van it would push me over the limit, and I don't want a trailer.

It's just a mini mid life crisis for me really!
@Robmac just do it, nothing better than the wind in the hair the CBT will be a funday. Would something like a yamaha virago style be better if your not worried about the weight?

Fazerloz

I've thought about a scooter Barry and I know the Honda vision is the ultimate in reliability I was in fact going to go that way especially as you get a gazillion to the gallon.

But these Mutts just look so right! (Providing it is big enough).
If its what you like then do it. For your limited use if not too cramped it will be fine no doubt. I get plenty of pleasure out of the 125. We only pass this way once. (y)

Robmac

@Robmac just do it, nothing better than the wind in the hair the CBT will be a funday. Would something like a yamaha virago style be better if your not worried about the weight?
I remember seeing the Virago years back and thinking 125? really?

I would like to try one, but I think I might prefer the more upright riding position of the Mutt. I will look at some reviews on the Yam.

Robmac

If its what you like then do it. For your limited use if not too cramped it will be fine no doubt. I get plenty of pleasure out of the 125. We only pass this way once. (y)
Yeah I'm gonna go for it although it will be fairweather biking at mediocre speed, I ain't seventeen anymore! I'm getting more drawn towards the Mutt Mongrel now, and it's a bit cheaper. It just seems a bit less 'twee' than some of the other 'retro' bikes I've seen.

I haven't broached the subject with Julie yet and probably won't until it turns up on the drive!

mjvw

I remember seeing the Virago years back and thinking 125? really?

I would like to try one, but I think I might prefer the more upright riding position of the Mutt. I will look at some reviews on the Yam.
Yep think they may be in short supply as getting on now what about https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Honda-Varadero-125/9806/bn_7023555566 good size when i was worked for a MC training school as an instructor Yamaha SR125 where very popular. Little bit behind the times on the new china imports but some of them look really nice.
Happy shopping.
Do like the name mutt mongrel.

Last edited:

Chris356

I would go for a ajs they have a genuine Yamaha 125 engine which are bullet proof

trevskoda

Don't concern yourself about the tyres they will be fine. But i would suggest you look at the direct access option and do a intensive course with bike inc. Though more costly i would think far more suitable for you in the long term.

Decent kit these days doesn't have to cost anywhere near a grand.
Not unless you buy crap,proper lid at least start at £200 never mind boots etc,a grand is starter price.

Mr and Mrs Tupcox

Did my full test from scratch last year so could drive any size bike.
CBT PASSED FIRST TIME .
THEORY PASSED FIRST TIME.
PART 1 IT TOOK 3 TIMES FALLED ON SAME THING .
PART 2 PASSED ON SECOND TEST .
cost a packet plus £2700.00 for suspension upgrade .

Was it worth it yes.
Looking to pick up a rocket 3 after lockdown.

Robmac

I would go for a ajs they have a genuine Yamaha 125 engine which are bullet proof
I looked at the Caldwell and was quite impressed with the styling. The seat height is a little lower than the Mutt though, so again, I would have to try it.

They also do one called the Highway Star, but I think that one is trying just a bit too hard to look like a big bike!

Fazerloz

Not unless you buy crap,proper lid at least start at £200 never mind boots etc,a grand is starter price.
I don't buy crap. I ride all year any weather. Plenty of good helmets to be had for less than £200 especially if you buy last years models which are perfectly OK. They are all made to a standard and ACU approved and Sharp tested. I would think it highly likely I buy more riding gear and more often than a lot do. If you can't kit yourself out for far less than a grand from such as here, then give yourself a talking to.

Robmac

When I was 16 I was involved in accident in which the chin piece was completely smashed off of my full face helmet and the top was split starting at the front (forehead) almost to the very back (top of neck). I'm pretty sure the make was centurion and it was cheap back then in the 70's but it did the job and I had no head injuries.

Now I know that this doesn't really prove anything, but I guess todays helmets are stronger and lighter and have to be approved? But who's to say that a modern £200+ helmet wouldn't have killed me in the same accident?

I certainly don't want to be paying for a name, so I will probably go for comfort more than anything.

barryd

Go for it Rob. We need some toys to play with in this bloody situation. As for lids. I think our open face helmets were about twenty five quid each off ebay. They work as we found out when we got knocked off in Luxembourg. Bit noisy though with the wind.

im still trying to come up with a reason to by a KTM 390 but cant find one apart from learning how to do wheelies again (used to be good at it once upon a time). The thing is though you will enjoy it even pottering around country lanes at 40mph. one of the best rides I can remember ever was one hot day last summer over on Flamborough Head. I just set off on the little Honda Scooter and ended up riding across the moors for absolutely miles. No idea where I was or where I was going, just kept going. Felt great.

Im using the scooter every few days now for essential things like going on egg hunts. :cool:

Robmac

Go for it Rob. We need some toys to play with in this bloody situation. As for lids. I think our open face helmets were about twenty five quid each off ebay. They work as we found out when we got knocked off in Luxembourg. Bit noisy though with the wind.

im still trying to come up with a reason to by a KTM 390 but cant find one apart from learning how to do wheelies again (used to be good at it once upon a time). The thing is though you will enjoy it even pottering around country lanes at 40mph. one of the best rides I can remember ever was one hot day last summer over on Flamborough Head. I just set off on the little Honda Scooter and ended up riding across the moors for absolutely miles. No idea where I was or where I was going, just kept going. Felt great.

Im using the scooter every few days now for essential things like going on egg hunts. :cool:
Exactly the sort of use I want Barry, country lanes etc. Maybe with a small tent and camping stove and a tin of bangers and beans.

Unfortunately I won't be able to do CBT until after lockdown and I expect there will be a backlog.

peter palance

I've decided that once this virus thing is all over I'm going to get myself a small (125cc) bike.

I haven't ridden one in years, and without taking a test you could ride up to a 250 when I was young, so I had a KH250 which I loved, but having never taken a test I'm restricted to a 125 now. So, I would ask what is the process? I know you have to have a CBT session which will entitle me to ride a 125cc without a further test but with 'L' plates and I would have to take the CBT again after 2 years.

I also know that there are theory and practical tests, can anybody tell me what is the requirement here, I've heard of A1 and A2 tests but what would I require to stick to just a 125 without 'L' plates?

I am looking a the Mutt range of bikes and particularly like the Fat Sabbath and the GT-SS versions. The GT-SS looks better for touring but I love the look of the Fat Sabbath.

These are Chinese bikes which use a Suzuki engine and are customised with a lot of British parts and updated wiring loom by Mutt in Birmingham, who I believe have a good pedigree. They are made to look like bigger bikes which would make me feel more comfortable as I am 6' 1", and apparently sound very good. Speedwise they aren't going to set the world on fire but that's probably not a bad thing at my age!

Any thoughts?

Thanks
oh how experience, 18 plus. well here's to it,if there is one thing that i like, its a burn up on my bike, keep going. ok.pj.