Small motorbike

Robmac

I've decided that once this virus thing is all over I'm going to get myself a small (125cc) bike.

I haven't ridden one in years, and without taking a test you could ride up to a 250 when I was young, so I had a KH250 which I loved, but having never taken a test I'm restricted to a 125 now. So, I would ask what is the process? I know you have to have a CBT session which will entitle me to ride a 125cc without a further test but with 'L' plates and I would have to take the CBT again after 2 years.

I also know that there are theory and practical tests, can anybody tell me what is the requirement here, I've heard of A1 and A2 tests but what would I require to stick to just a 125 without 'L' plates?

I am looking a the Mutt range of bikes and particularly like the Fat Sabbath and the GT-SS versions. The GT-SS looks better for touring but I love the look of the Fat Sabbath.

These are Chinese bikes which use a Suzuki engine and are customised with a lot of British parts and updated wiring loom by Mutt in Birmingham, who I believe have a good pedigree. They are made to look like bigger bikes which would make me feel more comfortable as I am 6' 1", and apparently sound very good. Speedwise they aren't going to set the world on fire but that's probably not a bad thing at my age!

Any thoughts?

Thanks

oppy

Yes I've watched a few of the video's Peter and I am quite impressed. The replacement exhaust seems to make them sound very good.

The one in the video, the Mongrel I am also considering as it is a bit cheaper but still a good looking bike.
You can buy my moto guzzi 750 for 2 grand if you fancy a real tractor

Robmac

Sit on one you could find it too small.
I did wonder about that.

As soon as things calm down I will go to one of their dealers at Peterborough to try one for size. I don't particularly want a 'boy racer' type bike with flashy colours so my choice is limited to retro styled models of which there are a few. This one appealed to me as it gets very good reviews.

Not sure about the knobbly tyres though for touring. Not that I would be covering any real distance, but I think I would prefer proper road tyres.

trevskoda

Dont forget it will cost at least a grand for protective gear,ie boots leathers gloves and skid lid,many folk forget the most important stuff,great coats are no longer used. 😂 😂 😂 😂

Fazerloz

I did wonder about that.

As soon as things calm down I will go to one of their dealers at Peterborough to try one for size. I don't particularly want a 'boy racer' type bike with flashy colours so my choice is limited to retro styled models of which there are a few. This one appealed to me as it gets very good reviews.

Not sure about the knobbly tyres though for touring. Not that I would be covering any real distance, but I think I would prefer proper road tyres.
Don't concern yourself about the tyres they will be fine. But i would suggest you look at the direct access option and do a intensive course with bike inc. Though more costly i would think far more suitable for you in the long term.

Decent kit these days doesn't have to cost anywhere near a grand.

ChrisInNotts

As said above, I assume you are over 25 years old so you can do the CBT to get riding and then the theory test and the Direct Access test to get the full licence. Our youngest did his riding test on his 125 so he could take passengers and remove L plates (insurance was a lot less too). He then took his A2 test to allow him to ride up to the current bhp limit. Nest year he can take the test again to allow his unlimited bikes. The stupid thing is that the riding test is the same every time!

Keith

barryd

Are you going to use it with the motorhome Rob? If so you might want to think about storage for helmets, shopping etc. You can tour on a scooter you know (yeah really). We did over 4000 miles on our Honda Vision on the last European tour. Not ideal after a 100 miles or a full day on it as your arse aches a bit but that might just be me. Those bikes dont exactly look comfy to me.

channa

Rob , youngsters tell me between £600-800 to start from scratch to a bike licence including bike hire.

The flip side is legally allowed to ride 250 b 400 as an example the bikes pro rata are cheaper and more competitive to insure.

harrow

Which use a Suzuki vague copy engine
and find out the cost of insurance,
all or most of the motorbike shops will organise a CBT to get you started

mjvw

You can buy my moto guzzi 750 for 2 grand if you fancy a real tractor
Nothing wrong with a good old tractor well except the wiring we used to remove the std exhausts and bang an open tailpipe on, totally irresponsible but the T3 sounded great.

Robmac

Are you going to use it with the motorhome Rob? If so you might want to think about storage for helmets, shopping etc. You can tour on a scooter you know (yeah really). We did over 4000 miles on our Honda Vision on the last European tour. Not ideal after a 100 miles or a full day on it as your arse aches a bit but that might just be me. Those bikes dont exactly look comfy to me.
I've thought about a scooter Barry and I know the Honda vision is the ultimate in reliability I was in fact going to go that way especially as you get a gazillion to the gallon.

But these Mutts just look so right! (Providing it is big enough).

Robmac

Probably won't use it with the m/home Barry. I reckon with the 105kg weight and the leverage effect on the back of the van it would push me over the limit, and I don't want a trailer.

It's just a mini mid life crisis for me really!